Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Publishes Linux GPU Frame-Buffer Driver

Phoronix: Microsoft Publishes Linux GPU Frame-Buffer Driver

Microsoft's Linux kernel contributions continue... This time around they have published a synthetic frame-buffer driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Move along, nothing to see here.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Microsoft Publishes Linux GPU Frame-Buffer Driver

Microsoft's Linux kernel contributions continue... This time around they have published a synthetic frame-buffer driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwMzg
    Microsoft has never contributed any code to enhance or improve linux per se - their only contributions have been to enable captive linux instances under microsoft control. That is the only form in which they wish to see linux survive.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      Microsoft has never contributed any code to enhance or improve linux per se - their only contributions have been to enable captive linux instances under microsoft control. That is the only form in which they wish to see linux survive.
      Its useful for those who want to use Linux under Hyper-V environments. And from what ive heard Hyper-V is actually fairly nice, besides it doesnt hurt anyone but including the driver. I say let them do whatever they want
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Its useful for those who want to use Linux under Hyper-V environments. And from what ive heard Hyper-V is actually fairly nice, besides it doesnt hurt anyone but including the driver. I say let them do whatever they want
        Yep...it's not all win for MS, since it makes it easier to run Linux in an otherwise Windows-based environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
          Yep...it's not all win for MS, since it makes it easier to run Linux in an otherwise Windows-based environment.
          Indeed. If someone needs to virtualise Linux on Windows, well, they might as well decide to swap places and go for virtualised Windows under Linux later on. Better than not having support in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Indeed. If someone needs to virtualise Linux on Windows, well, they might as well decide to swap places and go for virtualised Windows under Linux later on. Better than not having support in the first place.
            Sounds more like an ideal situation to me as having virtualized Windows servers running under Linux would be more stable. If the Windows host crashed or had an issue it could take the Linux instances with it..not ideal. Of course running Linux VM's on top of a Linux host is great too

Comment

Have you read the Hyper-V and Windows server EULAs?

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              It may hurt far more than you think or imagine. What does the Hyper-V EULA say about guests? Would the user be required to have a windows license to use the Linux environment under Hyper-V? After all, the Linux guest does "connect" to the Windows Hyper-V system. I would not be surprised to find out that payment is due to Microsoft for each use of Linux in that environment. Maybe this is why they are trying to look like good guys by providing free drivers?

I would never agree to a Windows EULA of any kind. Most of them grant the vendor the rights to totally mess with your business if they see fit. You are taking on far too serious risk when you choose "I agree".

Comment

virtio drivers for windows running virtual below Linux virtualization

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Sounds more like an ideal situation to me as having virtualized Windows servers running under Linux would be more stable. If the Windows host crashed or had an issue it could take the Linux instances with it..not ideal. Of course running Linux VM's on top of a Linux host is great too
                There are very fast virtio drivers available from RedHat for Windows guests running virtualized in KVM/QEMU. The drivers are free to obtain and use.

Comment

Originally posted by zman58 View Post
                  It may hurt far more than you think or imagine. What does the Hyper-V EULA say about guests? Would the user be required to have a windows license to use the Linux environment under Hyper-V? After all, the Linux guest does "connect" to the Windows Hyper-V system. I would not be surprised to find out that payment is due to Microsoft for each use of Linux in that environment. Maybe this is why they are trying to look like good guys by providing free drivers?
                  Uhm, the user is required to have a Windows license just to use Windows that can run Hyper-V in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Uhm, the user is required to have a Windows license just to use Windows that can run Hyper-V in the first place.
                    Of course you need a license for each Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V server, natch

It appears their current EULA doesn't say what kinds of guests are permitted to run under Hyper-V, but that might change. If they require a CAL for each Linux guest I'll be outraged.

Comment

Working...
                    X