Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop Comparison: 6 Desktops, 5 Driver/GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Did you notice radeon reach 90% of catalyst performance for Xonotic fullhd details low? This is amazing - first decent game without bottlenecks at good raw performance!
    Definitely noticed that. I was a bit shocked/impressed as well. I mean radeon is pretty decent for an OSS gfx driver, but that result was surely, unexpected (for most people) i would tend to think.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      Did you notice radeon reach 90% of catalyst performance for Xonotic fullhd details low? This is amazing - first decent game without bottlenecks at good raw performance!
      That's the big news! In some tests (Nexuiz, Xonotic, even OpenArena), the free driver is becoming really competitive. And some of the optimizations have still not landed...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        These results indicate clearly the opposite of what KWin developers recently told the public: KWin simply isn't great for gaming.
        Probably they spend more time on PR than coding...

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          Probably they spend more time on PR than coding...
          No, they're not gnome devs and I'm not sure what you mean. Do you consider it's fair to compare desktops with differnt options?

Comment

*Nerdgasm*

Comment

Thanks for the numbers. Looks like Unity's performance on nVidia is quite acceptable for gaming.

Comment

Does seem to be any significant difference between Unity/Gnome/XFCE/LXDE/KDE on intel and non-free amd and nvidia. Only on the free drivers is there some issues....

Composition doesn't seem to be bad unless your driver is bad.

Comment

cool benchmark

im suprised that unity is finally comparable now, amd and intel are of course being the bad ones (and i dont know why your using linux with their drivers anyways)

kde looks to be on the decline just a bit, i have not noticed any difference between it and the gnome-shells really, but it just seems to be regressing just the slightest on nvidia cards

not that it matters, i like kde because its the most fully featured, and can easily switch out to lxde if i want raw performance
                  lukubuntu would be the best distribution ever...

Comment

Originally posted by padrikas View Post
                    yeah.. really.. especially considering AMD card costs ~160$, Intel graphics are integrated in CPU, and GTX is just a high-end card for ~500$

EDIT:

ha ha, you were few minutes faster on posting exactly same thing I was thinking
                    I wonder how much NVIDIA has paid Michael for those precise and fair tests in his article

Also why test modern GPU with old, OpenGL 2.0 games when you got Serious Sam, TF2 and Unigine Heaven out there... WTF

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                      I wonder how much NVIDIA has paid Michael for those precise and fair tests in his article
                      Feel free to publish some tests proving him wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X