AMD's New Catalyst Linux Driver Isn't Too Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this beta is good for me, at least better than the two previous

still need to patch fglrx_drv.so to get rid of watermark and replace control file to enable aticonfig functionnalities

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      Calm down, it's still a beta.
      Right... Nothing to do with the final product at all. AMD is working on OpenArena oprimizations as we speak. Pigs fly.

Comment

Yet again, AMD screws things up with regards to the graphics part and linux. I'm guessing we won't ever see a AMD driver that is really ON PAR with windows. Guess we just have to wait for gallium here.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Right... Nothing to do with the final product at all. AMD is working on OpenArena oprimizations as we speak. Pigs fly.
          Indeed, the eternal pattern with fglrx. Next release will be better, just *wait* and see!...

Comment

OpenArena use defined and finite set of OpenGL capabilities.

AMD right now work on speeding OpenGL.

The only problem I can see is possibility that AMD will be happy with sacrificing general performance for the same of PR release of perf bust in L4D2...

Comment

It's really a shame, how the current Catalyst rendered such important games from working fluently to unplayable. I mean, who cares for L4D2, since every GPU gets a bazillion of FPS there - not so with OpenArena and Nexuiz, where every FPS counts.

That really makes me angry. I don't care, that Unigine Heaven runs pretty much equally fast on my Win7 with DX11 or my Kubuntu with OpenGL 4.

I want power for demaning games with high end game engines like OpenArena, not for dated crap like Unigine - or even the much worse Source Engine. Who on earth would play that now nowadays?
              Last edited by alexThunder; 22 November 2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Glad I switched to Nvidia. They really are gaming oriented.
                If only optimus would be supported on Linux

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
                  Glad I switched to Nvidia. They really are gaming oriented.
                  If only optimus would be supported on Linux
                  You won't get optimus support until Alan Cox and Intel (his employer) will allow it. See the relevant discussions on dma-buf.

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                    You won't get optimus support until Alan Cox and Intel (his employer) will allow it. See the relevant discussions on dma-buf.
                    Correction: You won't get Optimus support until NVIDIA reimplements the needed functionality manually. Or when the Linux kernel gets relicenced (which is never).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Correction: You won't get Optimus support until NVIDIA reimplements the needed functionality manually.
                      Case study: Optimus between an intel IGP and a dedicated Nvidia GPU.

Now, how would Nvidia (re-)implement a (DMABUF-alike) buffer-sharing mechanism between the
                      blob and the intel driver which does not collide with the GPL? Impossible AFAIK.

/Sorry for offtopic

Comment

Working...
                      X