AMD Catalyst: Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    No. When you are a distribution maintainer, don't enable drivers that are not stable for most hardware. Simply don't. Vesa + llvmpipe would have worked fine. Slow, but fine.

Why didn't your friend just compile a new kernel + mesa? Oh wait, not everybody is an expert on linux.
    does vesa allow for a compositing desktop?

the nouveau driver would likely not work on a card so new thanks to nvidias helpful nature so compiling a kernel and mesa although educational would not be helpful

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      Alright - what sort of game developer doesn't know about basic things such as how to enable s3tc and how to compile mesa as your 'I don't have the time' statement makes me wonder if you would even know how to. Even on a modest system it cant take more than 5 commands and a few questions in the terminal to create a deb/rpm/tgz for mesa and around 5 minutes of compile time. Not that you have to recompile mesa to use s3tc but using the latest and greatest mesa will give better performance.
      Because the majority of us don't bother with your kernel?

Just saying, developers like him and me are the people you need to convince to code for Linux if you ever want it to gain market acceptance. You're not doing a very good job at it though...

Let me give you a real life scenario that one of my 'thick as shit' friends went through the other day - he tried to install ubuntu on a machine with a super new nvidia card in ( a gtx280 or something ) and the installer failed due to the graphics card not functioning properly so I suggested he use the text installer which he did and everything installed fine. When he came to boot his shiny new stock ubuntu the desktop wouldn't load again because of the graphics card not functioning. I explained that he should - ctl+alt+f1, login, and sudo apt-get install nvidia-drivers - However he could not because nm-applet had not connected to the network. At that point he gave up and installed windows 8 beta or something
      Question: Why was the GPU working during the Win8 install (as I'm inferring that Win8 works fine based on how you wrote your comment), but not on Linux, out of the box? I'm assuming a driver issue?

I mean, sheesh, MSFT made ATI/NVIDIA support 640x480 32-bit color out of the box, with no driver support required, as of Vista (2006). No idea why Linux can't fall back into this mode for DX10+/OGL3.0 capable cards if theres a missing driver...

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        You guys disappoint me, why do you say you love open source but then you choose binary blobs when they clearly hinder development?

Why not help the open source drivers instead. *Sigh*

We'll never get improved open source drivers if we always go with the blob.
        News Flash: Open Source is DOA without tens of billions of corporate dollars to make it exist. GNU doesn't exist without the cash and it don't come from joey in his basement or your enthusiasm.

Talk is cheap.

Money talks, bs walks.

The Radeon Open Source driver doesn't exist without AMD's cooperation in documentation.

You sit around for the next 6 years to get today's blob parity. The rest of the globe will be using those blobs 6 years down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          Because the majority of us don't bother with your kernel?

Just saying, developers like him and me are the people you need to convince to code for Linux if you ever want it to gain market acceptance. You're not doing a very good job at it though...

Question: Why was the GPU working during the Win8 install (as I'm inferring that Win8 works fine based on how you wrote your comment), but not on Linux, out of the box? I'm assuming a driver issue?

I mean, sheesh, MSFT made ATI/NVIDIA support 640x480 32-bit color out of the box, with no driver support required, as of Vista (2006). No idea why Linux can't fall back into this mode for DX10+/OGL3.0 capable cards if theres a missing driver...
          woah woah woah! i'm not trying to convince you to do anything and 'linux' doesn't need you - if you agree to the terms of the GPL then you should want to contribute what you can whenever you can - thats how it works! As i've stated already GNU/Linux has market share already although not on desktop PCs and laptops... or toasters for that matter

All I am saying is that using non-free binary blob drivers hurts development of the free drivers as there are fewer end users giving feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            News Flash: Open Source is DOA without tens of billions of corporate dollars to make it exist. GNU doesn't exist without the cash and it don't come from joey in his basement or your enthusiasm.

Talk is cheap.

Money talks, bs walks.

The Radeon Open Source driver doesn't exist without AMD's cooperation in documentation.

You sit around for the next 6 years to get today's blob parity. The rest of the globe will be using those blobs 6 years down the road.

Ohh yes, Blob is fantastic, gl output cause tearing , xv is so slow on smooth scenes, 2d perfomance is poor, and problems with chrome and gpu aceleration, please...., no joke.

Comment

at the risk of not making sense again.

Why don't you game devs LFS, gdb, blob, wine?

~/Jux
              "?" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Talk is cheap.

Money talks, bs walks.

you're so full of shit its not funny

Comment

Working...
                X