Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigaldo
    replied
    Exactly, only the "privileged" few matter at all.

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    And this mentality is exactly why Linux is ignored by the public at large.

most of the public are like you - morons and i dont care for so called community members who completely miss the point of free software - so fuck 'em - let them play with windows

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by F i L View Post
    Open Source and Linux are bigger than just graphics drivers and OpenGL. I can support parts of the whole without needing to directly contribute to every piece.

Would you prefer me to not contribute at all and use Windows/Mac simply because I need the performance and features to the blobs?
    you can run free software on windows...

EDIT: I can only repeat again - what software are you using that requires opengl 4.x ? and what software are you using that the r600g driver cannot handle?

oil rush?
    Last edited by D0pamine; 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    if you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open gpu drivers. If its not good enough for you - make a bug report or attempt to make it better yourself

If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
    And this mentality is exactly why Linux is ignored by the public at large.

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    if you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open gpu drivers. If its not good enough for you - make a bug report or attempt to make it better yourself

If you want to support 'open sourced' and 'linux' then use the open drivers - using the closed blobs will not improve anything ....
    Open Source and Linux are bigger than just graphics drivers and OpenGL. I can support parts of the whole without needing to directly contribute to every piece.

Would you prefer me to not contribute at all and use Windows/Mac simply because I need the performance and features to the blobs?

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    The blobs improve MY experience. And that's what matters.

I don't have to give a flying hoot about other people's experience.
    well isnt it abit stupid to use a free system like ubuntu when it gives no performance advantage over windows and there is alot less commercial software available?

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Love the conclusion: Runs faster on Windows, driver based is shared between Windows and Linux.

Phornoix conclusion: The driver is missing optimizations on Linux
    My conclusion: The Linux Kernel itself is slower then Windows for gaming

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied

The blobs improve MY experience. And that's what matters.

I don't have to give a flying hoot about other people's experience.

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    d0pamine is going to probably be one of the first people to beg valve for steam beta access.

at the moment i'm playing a lot of foobillard against my neighbour as we're both snooker loopy but too poor to buy a 12 foot table

if there are any games available on steam that tickle my fancy i may be tempted but just more first person shooters... they'd have to be pretty special for me to make the mental effort :P

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    Originally posted by F i L View Post
    Practicality.

The open drivers are not near as fast as the closed source ones today, especially on AMD hardware. I hope, as much as the next open-source enthusiast, that this changes in the near future, however it's simply not the case today. In fact, there are other problems with the open-drivers on my AMD systems beyond performance, but that's besides the point.

Ultimately, overly-zealous declarations only serve to alienate people like me, who want to support Linux and open-source software as much as possible, but also need the best quality I can get for Blender and OpenGL support. At the end of the day, people will use what works best, and if open-source development isn't producing better result, the average user will always stick to propitiatory software, they won't "jailed" by this fact, quite the opposite, better software is liberating (to the end user). I strongly believe that Open Source is better, and that open solutions will eventually out-match all closed ones. However, I also understand that individuals situations aren't always so cut-n-dry, and supporting the systems we believe in means we need to work together as much as possible.

Last edited by D0pamine; 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X