Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Didn't they fix the bugs in Heaven? Or only some?

Certainly app workarounds in the gl lib are just wrong.
    Some, but not all, sadly.
    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Intel Linux OpenGL Driver Remains Slower Than Windows

Recently there was the NVIDIA graphics comparison under Windows 7 and Linux providing new data at how the cross-platform NVIDIA driver is comparing between Ubuntu 12.10, Kubuntu 12.10, and Windows 7 Pro. Aside from Ubuntu's Unity desktop with Compiz impairing the performance, the results were competitive. Next up now is a look at Intel Sandy Bridge and Intel Ivy Bridge graphics when comparing the performance of the three operating systems.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17920

Come on, Michael. You're including Kubuntu, but not the new Gnome Shell spin? By using defaults, GS has been the fastest of the major desktops, and since you are looking at performance, that seems something worth looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Didn't they fix the bugs in Heaven? Or only some?

Certainly app workarounds in the gl lib are just wrong.
        They fixed many in Heaven 3.0 so that it runs quite nice (visually) on radeon OSS. But Sanctuary and Tropics was not updated in recent years so they are quite broken.

Comment

Originally posted by aceman View Post
          They fixed many in Heaven 3.0 so that it runs quite nice (visually) on radeon OSS. But Sanctuary and Tropics was not updated in recent years so they are quite broken.
          I still get very dark rendering and syntax errors in shaders without drirc. That's UH3.0 on SNB. I guess other mesa drivers are the same or worse as shader compiler is mostly shared.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
            Nice progress Intel Looks like the performance gap between Windows and Linux is closing for these drivers.
            While I will agree that the Linux Intel devs are doing _awesome_ work and I'm glad that they are moving ahead so quickly, note that closing the gap with the Intel Windows GL driver is like a race car closing the gap with the second-to-last car in the race.

Comment

Working...
            X