No announcement yet.

Apple Thunderbolt Display Presents Problems For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not trying hooking that monitor up with displayport to some tasty high end Nvidia hardware and see how well everything pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus
      apple's way:

1- "hey yo foxconn/xxxx what's the best shit you have that dell/hp/xxx is buying?"

2- haggle prices like a jew on steroids, drive chinese workers to suicide

3- encase whatever you buy in shiny aluminium/white plastic. Don't forget the logo (most important)

4- sell it to retards for a 500% profit margin

5- repeat it at least once every 12 months (previous version of products are to be trashed and not supported)

it works for software too:

- steal your operating system from nerds
      - encase it in shiny graphics
      - sell it to retards (also don't forget to introduce code in the system and in every update to fuck up whoever installs this in something that hasn't got our logo even tho is 100% the same shit as ours)
      I am appalled you believe I am retarded.

I wonder why other companies are not making their products shiny and expensive and making tons of profit. It sounds so easy!

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
        It actually is a mini displayport.
        From Wikipedia:
        "Thunderbolt combines PCI Express and DisplayPort into a serial data interface... Existing Mini DisplayPort adapters for DVI, dual-link DVI, HDMI, and VGA are compatible with Thunderbolt, allowing backwards compatibility and no loss of functionality compared to Mini DisplayPort."

The shape of the port is the same as Mini DisplayPort. I have a Mini DP to DVI adapter that I use on my Macbook Air's Thunderbolt port.
        I think we are both right

The plug is the same as mini-Displayport. I think when you connect a displayport connector, the controller falls back to displayport mode and disables the thunderbolt bits.

When using it as a thunderbolt port, it's a thunderbolt port. The chip muxes signals together, and demuxes them on the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
          I wonder why other companies are not making their products shiny and expensive and making tons of profit. It sounds so easy!
          Indeed. I see a lot of this. It's as if the perception of quality begins with the utility and ends with the performance of the object being judged. Design and artistry are dismissed as being excess or luxury. I worked with a number of PC vendors and configurations in my time. My first job in this industry was customizing PCs in 93. After a decade, I just got tired of being disappointed. I looked long and hard at my options, and finally broke down for the product that most closely resembled my principles. No more zip-tie cable management. No more double-sided adhesive tape. No more Windows. Apple has it's share of issues, but it's a world apart from the PC ecosystem.

Pal's post (to whom you were responding) sounds like my neighbor who talks about how much faster his Camero is than my Merc. Since speed really isn't on my agenda, he'll go into the most bizarre and contorted explanations of how his car is somehow better, cheaper, and that Merc's really aren't as good as they are said to be. I hate introducing car metaphors, but if I wanted speed, I'd buy a Viper or Impreza. If I wanted cheap, I'd take the bus.

Pal, Macs are really nice. Stop hating on them. Nobody makes you buy them other than yourself. Linux is neat enough on its own that you do not have to diminish the efforts of its competitors and the fruits of their labor.

Comment

If I wanted to hear people singing praises of such a cut throat corporation as apple I'd go to any apple store or to the other million apple forums... seeing this in a linux forum is strange.

I have tried and tried and couldn't even get a ubuntu or fedora usb pen to EVEN boot under mac os x.

Seeing as the dvd drive on a 2009 mac mini is so painfully slow it takes about 4 minutes (not exagerating) to boot ubuntu 12.10

Apple is the richest, biggest corporation selling computers to the public and the way they conduct business is an antithesis of everything linux stands for...

For God's sake they even refused to get their green environment stamp, if any other corp did that omg...

I guess they could go to africa and murder a million children if they had to, to deliver iphonepad 69 and no one would bat an eye... coz it's apple

The asian companies like asus and samsung are already delivering shiny well designed things, only a retard would look at the white plasticky crap mac air with cheap black keys and say it looks better than zenbook.

the only people that will buy the thunderbolt are appletards.

True professionals will go for true and tested choices like http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382962,00.asp

only have $1000? here http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar.../dp/B004KKGF1O there you go 3 more inches and a better resolution for the same price

and if you aren't editing movies or a pictures for a living and spend 1,000 on a computer display you have too much money.

Here's a thunderbolt like screen that goes for 400 and it's basically the same shit
            The NEC MultiSync EA273WM is a slim 27-inch business LCD monitor offering a robust feature set and vibrant colors. It'll save you money on your electric bill but you'll pay a bit more at the register.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              If I wanted to hear people singing praises of such a cut throat corporation as apple I'd go to any apple store or to the other million apple forums... seeing this in a linux forum is strange.

I have tried and tried and couldn't even get a ubuntu or fedora usb pen to EVEN boot under mac os x.

Seeing as the dvd drive on a 2009 mac mini is so painfully slow it takes about 4 minutes (not exagerating) to boot ubuntu 12.10

Apple is the richest, biggest corporation selling computers to the public and the way they conduct business is an antithesis of everything linux stands for...

For God's sake they even refused to get their green environment stamp, if any other corp did that omg...

I guess they could go to africa and murder a million children if they had to, to deliver iphonepad 69 and no one would bat an eye... coz it's apple

The asian companies like asus and samsung are already delivering shiny well designed things, only a retard would look at the white plasticky crap mac air with cheap black keys and say it looks better than zenbook.

True professionals will go for true and tested choices like http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382962,00.asp

only have $1000? here http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar.../dp/B004KKGF1O there you go 3 more inches and a better resolution for the same price

and if you aren't editing movies or a pictures for a living and spend 1,000 on a computer display you have too much money.

Here's a thunderbolt like screen that goes for 400 and it's basically the same shit
              http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400389,00.asp
              I don't think that there are many in this forum that praised apples business practices, their "openness" and the "walled gardens" they offer.

However it remains a company that makes forward thinking hardware. Nothing comes close to the MBPretina at this point. And no other company seems to be trying to match them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400389,00.asp
                Again... Linux is good enough that you don't need to go and make a bunch of nonsensical stuff up about the competition. This is a linux forum, I'm a linux SA, SE, and EA. I'm letting you know that you're not helping linux by making stuff up about Apple. Take a breath, get a grip.

Thunderbolt is an Intel technology, not an Apple technology. It's wonderful. You can now have PCIE devices outside the chassis connected by a single cable. Words cannot describe how wonderful this is. Once it supports PCIEv3, we'll start seeing external GPUs and other neat stuff.

Apple monitors are nice. I own one. Michael owns one now. Watch this......

Hey Michael, what are your overall impressions regarding the cinema display? How's the screen look? Colors, Brightness, Black levels? Build quality?

F

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  Then you wouldn't buy an Apple product at all. You would never buy an Apple product for a non-Apple product, aka Linux.

People who make money from using computers would see Thunderbolt monitors as useless junk, and would instead buy actual professional non-Apple monitors with display ports that their graphics card supports. People who buy Apple products mainly buy them because they are from Apple, irregardless of price and actual worth. Can you imagine trying to display really high resolution, high quality content with thunderbolt, where graphics isn't being rendered by a dedicated workstation or gaming graphics card?

You would essentially have to get one of these http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asu...cie,15925.html and by then, what's the point of the extra 'fiddling' and cost when a simple displayport monitor would have did a better job?
                  You're a moron, welcome to Phoronix.

First off, when trying to sound smart, avoid using made-up and redundant words like "irregardless".

Secondly through finally, you're probably either still in school or early on in your career (though I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, even being able to hold a highish level tech related position). When you grow up a little, you'll see that there are plenty of people making very good livings (myself included) using reliable Apple hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                    You're a moron, welcome to Phoronix.
                    First off, when trying to sound smart, avoid using made-up and redundant words like "irregardless".
                    lol, be nice. I totally agree that there are a few goofballs with strange anti-Apple biases in this thread. I simply cannot imagine why anyone would choose to blame Apple when a Thunderbolt display does not work with a Thunderbolt equipped PC under Linux.

Personally, I'm thankful that his post didn't begin each sentence with "Actually,".

F

Comment

this discussion is pointless, like trying to make sense with scientologists

Go get the apple logo tattoed on your forehead for all I care... yes the brilliant innovation their billions of dollars allowed them to make was ... putting a really high resolution on a laptop screen

de puta madre

"their "openness" and the "walled gardens" "

that's not what I object, the consumerism of electronics is a dangerous environmental hazard.

What they are doing is making the mass market consume electronics like they were disposable as every year you have updated technology, iphone 1 2 3 4 ipad 1 2 3 and so on

a lot of their consumers buy the updated products every year and for instance people here trashing their old iphones

There is absolutely no need for this cycle as developers when given time can optimize code. Look at gaming consoles as an example of this, they were released in 2006 (?) and still being used today.

Also apple has a very bad environmental track record and that news where they refused to comply with the environmental stamp requirement was the nail in the coffin.

Apple is just as evil if not even more so than microsoft. If you are using apple products use their system, if linux is supposed to be for freedom the freedom apple stand for is the freedom of foxconn workers jumping from the 10th floor because they were interrogated for hours about a suspected leak of a prototype. Not to mention the workers who commit suicide and they using the police like their private army to break into peoples apartments.

All this information I'm writing as appeared on the news and multiple sites, if you didn't see it or read it is because you have your blinders on

Apple is evil and whoever buys their products is evil

period

Comment

Working...
                      X