Apple Thunderbolt Display Presents Problems For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Why?? They simply don't care. Their products are made to be used with Mac OS X. The same thing goes for most -if not all- manufacturers. Their products are made to run Win.
    Because Apple displays are sold separately.
    It doesn't matter if its a Mac, Windows or Linux user who buys it - they still get money.

So they should make sure that their displays are supported on Linux and Windows too, so that they can get more customers.

Comment

I wonder if it would work if you used a Mini DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI adapter, then converted that back to Mini DisplayPort.

Maybe that would break the PCI Express portion of the connection and it would operate as if it were only DisplayPort instead of Thunderbolt. Actually a plain Mini DisplayPort cable might do that too. I'm assuming the display is requesting a data connection for the USB and Ethernet ports which causes the kernel to freak out. If you don't need those you might be able to get just a video signal.

Comment

I don't think the thunderbolt port is a mini-display port.

It is just that, a Thunderbolt port (That carries a "displayport" signal, amongst other things).

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
          I don't think the thunderbolt port is a mini-display port.

It is just that, a Thunderbolt port (That carries a "displayport" signal, amongst other things).
          It actually is a mini displayport.
          From Wikipedia:
          "Thunderbolt combines PCI Express and DisplayPort into a serial data interface... Existing Mini DisplayPort adapters for DVI, dual-link DVI, HDMI, and VGA are compatible with Thunderbolt, allowing backwards compatibility and no loss of functionality compared to Mini DisplayPort."

The shape of the port is the same as Mini DisplayPort. I have a Mini DP to DVI adapter that I use on my Macbook Air's Thunderbolt port.

Comment

I have the exact same setup (MBP with Retina + Thunderbolt), and very much interested in running the Linux distro as my main OS.

I am very much interested in any findings to this thread..

Cheers

Comment

What's the point of this monitor when the U2711 exists?

Comment

Dang, the cheapest Thunderbolt motherboard at newegg is $250.

Maybe Michael can convince a vendor to send him a test sample for review?

Comment

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
                  What's the point of this monitor when the U2711 exists?
                  This one doubles as a halfway decent dock for a Thunderbolt-equipped laptop, without needing extra desk space, a bunch of cables/dongles or a proprietary docking connector (inasmuch as Thunderbolt can realistically be said to be non-proprietary right now, which is a debatable point).

Comment

Wow guys.... just.... wow.

F

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus
                      apple's way:
                      Let's all make some crazy shit up!

All Apple products are inspired by Dick Clark. The iPad was inspired by the GUI on Steve's microwave oven. Apple employees are forced to eat cashews in order to increase the quantity of neurons in their unborn. The Iranian government is the main benefactor of Apple's iPhone profits.

Hw did I do?

F

Comment

Working...
                      X