Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

Phoronix: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

While Imagination Technologies has yet to change their stance on allowing open-source Linux graphics drivers or improving the quality of their closed-source Linux driver IP, they released two new GPUs today in the PowerVR line-up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And with that kind of computing prowess, we?re talking about reaching levels of performance that approach the HPC market.
    Then they should better realize that the HPC market is dominated by Linux and change their driver policies.

Comment

Imagination Tech is even worse than VIA or Nvidia. I make sure not to buy any of this stuff unless they open up sepcs and drivers. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. And I don't want the latter.
      Shame also on TI for still using these things in their boards.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

with the limaproject and the freedreno I belive it was, there is now hope. The allwinner soc is being powerd by a mali 400GPU.

I forsee that by years end, we might get a few raspberry pi-like boards around the same price point making people happy. Or so I hope. Then some media boxes with said boards or derivatives and with things like XBMC running on them in the next year pushing the opensource GPU soc's more. At that point, Broadcom/PowerVR either join or loose. Or so I hope anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
          with the limaproject and the freedreno I belive it was, there is now hope. The allwinner soc is being powerd by a mali 400GPU.

I forsee that by years end, we might get a few raspberry pi-like boards around the same price point making people happy. Or so I hope. Then some media boxes with said boards or derivatives and with things like XBMC running on them in the next year pushing the opensource GPU soc's more. At that point, Broadcom/PowerVR either join or loose. Or so I hope anyway.
          The LIMA/MALI project is a nice thing indeed but won't help an single percent to the ImgTec chip situation. Moreover all these projects are driven by reverse engineering which is still a painful thing to do.
          Well, unless "deciders" on the "decider floors" decide to use mali chips instead of ImgTec because of the existance of a free as in freedom driver. But somehow I am not so sure about that.

Comment

Fuck Imagination Technologies!

Fuck Imagination Technologies!

It's too bad Texas Instruments uses PowerVR in their OMAP system-on-a-chipset solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Well, unless "deciders" on the "decider floors" decide to use mali chips instead of ImgTec because of the existance of a free as in freedom driver. But somehow I am not so sure about that.
              Not unheard of. It's probably more a question of when someone (china) will do that.

Comment

Well, indeed. A lot of Chinese users just use unlicensed copies of everything, but also a good bunch wants to be in charge and have control over their machines and not be influenced by closed "western" technology. (Though most is made at the end in China anyway...). Well, there is still hope that some people will choose a model with free drivers and express the why of their decision.
                Maybe one (hopefully not so distant) day it will be totally common to deliver hardware per default with a free driver and specs for interested devs.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Imagination Releases New PowerVR GPUs

While Imagination Technologies has yet to change their stance on allowing open-source Linux graphics drivers or improving the quality of their closed-source Linux driver IP, they released two new GPUs today in the PowerVR line-up...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNjA
                  And with that, Nvidia is pushed a further two years behind. I really hope that Nvidia starts getting less design wins. Their SoC's are consistently crap.

Comment

They lie about horsepower/watt. Vivante for example has almost 20Gflops/80mWatt@65nm or Tflop/Watt@28nm. And yes they need to change their driver policy, or else we wont bay their GPU, when we get rid of Android (for a standard Linux), from our Quad-Core Smartphones and Tablets.

Comment

Working...
                    X