Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sponsoring Open-Source Drivers For $1 Per Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lapis View Post
    Funding only for documented hardware(or partial documentation). Reverse enginering for undocumented is a waste of money.

I think it's better to propose a big value funding campaign instead of time based funding.(It's better to propose 500 000 dollars funding instead 1 dolar a day)
    we don't have to start with something hardware specific. A state tracker is pretty much hardware agnostic and usually the HW specific bits are done by the guys employed by the comanies.

As for the amount i also believe that we must set a target ie raise 100000 to have feature X implemented.

Comment

Modular hybrid drivers

I think AMD, Nvidia or Intel must make a modular driver - at least at the source level - where the parts they cannot or do not want to open were closed.

Then the community of the open source drivers would have 2 works

1.- Improve the open source code

2.- Replace the proprietary source part.

The S3 STC compresion algorithm has not actual good replacement at open source drivers, and is still a proprietary patented part of every blob, and I think there would be a specific open source project to replace it, as well as other parts that are what make proprietary drivers so much faster than open source ones.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
        The S3 STC compresion algorithm has not actual good replacement at open source drivers, and is still a proprietary patented part of every blob, and I think there would be a specific open source project to replace it, as well as other parts that are what make proprietary drivers so much faster than open source ones.
        We have several open S3TC implementations, some of them very good quality. It's not the source that is lacking, the s3tc issue is only about patents.

Comment

i think its better to pay for results

like milestones

ie : initial opengl4 support - is useless, because you wont run anything by opengl4. your pc say "hey i can run opengl4" and your display say "f u, look my colorfull artifacts"

we need like full stuff for 1 topic, like

dynamic power management DONE = i pay

good configurable tv output and all outputs on card with good GUI = i pay

make quake live playeble on constant 60 fps[ not shity 30 on my radeon 4850 like now, with mega lags/tearing [its unplayable] = i pay

fix amnesia dark descent inputs [first time i installed i couldnt move mouse, 0,5 year later i can move mouse, but only on 80% of surface, cant move pointer to bottom of screen ad click "continue button"] = i pay

make blender work realy fast = i pay

cooperate with valve and make this drivers more suitable than catalist = i pay

fix compiz on oss drivers, to dont produce 1 second lag for maximizing windows etc. = i pay

its like kickstarter, but it works other way, more like BOUNTY.

Comment

Hi guys, for anyone still interested I have started a small scale campaign to do some Mesa development. See my post here for more information: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ent-experiment

Comment

Hi guys, for anyone still interested i this topic I have started a small scale campaign to do some Mesa development. In an effort to better understand if crowd sourcing Mesa development would work I have setup a small project on Indiegogo with the Goal of implementing the GL_KHR_debug extension (OpenGL 4.3). As a stretch goal I aiming to create a bit of a guide to get started with the basics of Mesa development based on my experience. Please feel free to ask me any questions, comment on my idea or in good old Phoronix fashion flame me for whatever your reasons my be.

To view my campaign just go to indiegogo and search for Mesa.

Comment

Working...
              X