Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Phoronix: Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Should you be looking towards purchasing a new high-end graphics card from AMD or NVIDIA, here are some updated benchmarks of the AMD Radeon HD 7950 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 when both graphics cards were tested under Ubuntu 12.04 with their proprietary Linux graphics drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting, but...

What's the point of buying those cards if most GPU intensive games are 2-5 years of age?(X3 Reunion, ETQW, Heroes of Newerth, Oilrush)
    Steam games whenever they will come out are also old. I am not aware of any games that could take advantage of those cards. I'd love to play Rage game, but ID don't seem to be interested in porting it.

Only those interested in GPU mining of bitcoins will probably be interested in those tests.
    Though, thanks Michael for interesting review. It was interesting, as usual. And I did not notice any beer photos :P
    Last edited by dimko; 04 June 2012, 07:27 AM. Reason: mispellings, added Oilrush, which I unresonably forgot

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      What's the point of buying those cards if most GPU intensive games are 2-5 years of age?(X3 Reunion, ETQW, Heroes of Newerth, Oilrush)
      Steam games whenever they will come out are also old. I am not aware of any games that could take advantage of those cards. I'd love to play Rage game, but ID don't seem to be interested in porting it.

Only those interested in GPU mining of bitcoins will probably be interested in those tests.
      Though, thanks Michael for interesting review. It was interesting, as usual. And I did not notice any beer photos :P
      I understand your point but, isn't Crysis already 5 years old?

Comment

Spring

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        games like Spring-RTS or 0AD can use these cards but michael do not have a PTS profile of these games because of this you don't know it because his benchmarks are useless because they don't cover Modern-REAL Opensource games
        Played spring couple of years a ago(not 1945 mode) did not see much difference to be honest with max settings or average ones.
        It may only be noticeable when there are a few hundred unites rendered, system just becomes sluggish...

Need to check out this 0AD thingy, but than i doubt that my Nvidia GTX470 card(overclocker card, that can't be overclocked on Linux, oh irony...) can't handle it reasonably well with maxed out settings.

Comment

call me when

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
          I understand your point but, isn't Crysis already 5 years old?
          there is Crysis on Linux.(no, wine wont cut it, with it's random slowdowns, and generally low performance, and no, it's good, just not good enough)

Comment

There doesn't seem to be much between the two hardware outcomes, other than Nvidia are happier to chew power when it's not needed. Example once you obtain a certain frame rate then wasting power is questionable. ATI results were on par with Nvidia but lower power use.

The cheapest HD 7950 3gb is $425AUD in my local area. A GTX680 2gb is $829AUD. What a blow out with Nvidia, they really need to reduce their prices.

The clear winner is ATI for price and performance. The only questionable area is drivers.
            Last edited by e8hffff; 04 June 2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

Yeah maybe we don't need that kind of power on Linux... or Windows.... I for one think it's great that we can still get the info. BTW am I the only one who can't wait for AMD To stuff a 7950 into a APU?

Comment

You're right this time, Q. The APU's 3D cores are usually one generation behind. APU's with "6xxx" graphics in fact had an Evergreen (5xxx) based design, while the new Trinity marketed as 7xxx is in fact a Northern Islands (6xxx) based design. The display core however is not outdated in the Trinity APU (http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature#...splay_Hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                  IIRC Oil Rush came out a few months ago. And IIRC Unigine is supposed to be a state-of-the-art 3D engine.

Comment

This one's a bit of a head-scratcher.

The benchmarks done on other sites seemed to indicate that the 680 clearly performed better.

Comment

Working...
                    X