No announcement yet.

Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes AMD is still working on problems with the new design. In theory it has got a hardware h264 ENCODER like kepler but there is still no software that can access it.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
      if i was bridgeman i would even ever respond to any forum post Q has been in. its like, whats the point.
      Hey, why are you so biased? Yes, Q's posts are often out of limits. But not recently and surely not his comment 19. It was on topic and informative and I'd say even true. So what is the problem? No problem for those who can strip out the last 2 sentences

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        2013 this will be history and people can use opensource on amd hardware without "pain" LOL
        I will believe that when I can see it, not one second earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
          2013 this will be history and people can use opensource on amd hardware without "pain" LOL
          I will believe that when I can see it, not one second earlier.
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          ...the success rate of the Phoronix Catalyst news reporting is like 99% and has been for years.
          Originally posted by http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwNjI
          2013: A Good Year For Open-Source AMD
          Any questions? (Well technically it is not about Catalyst, but still)

Comment

I have one of these 680's now. But Not using it with Linux. Seems a bit of a waste to me. Nothing really takes advantage of the card....

the last 2 sentences wasn't so much out of limits and even Bridgman found a funny part in it:
            the point is there are so many thinks without any scope/room to move and Bridgman can't do nothing about it because of this its "Trivial"
            and the "Trivial" part is something like this: he can only make sure Future AMD products become more open-source friendly

because of this there is a high chance to get opensource functionality on the "VCE" unit and the ( scope/room to move) for the UVD1 and UVD2 and maybe UVD3 unit is near by ZERO.
            the hardware pipeline of amd is 3-4 years this means amd need up to 4 years to chance hardware

I LoL'd really hard to find that you're now the "Conspiracy Leader" ... xD

Comment

One thing I didn't see discussed all that much here was performance in wine. I'm actually debating between the 7950/70 and the 670, and I'm thoroughly on the fence at this point due to these benchmarks. I play a ton of games in wine, mostly stuff like Skyrim, and I'd like to know which is better in that respect. Just about all of the reviews and benchmarks I've read favor the 670 in Windows, but that's Windows, not wine. If the fglrx drivers are improving at the rate that the Catalyst drivers are, and the cards are as overclockable as they seem, it looks like the 7950/70 is the way to go in Linux, but I'm still unsure. Anyone here actually use either one?

Comment

i've got a 560 (so a step below a '70) and the performance is quite acceptable in Wine, but I haven't tried Skyrim. It seems there's no demo so I can't tell much, because atm Oblivion is being played through (on highest possible settings and non-laggy fps, not sure how get a counter up).

Comment

How could the reviewer overclock the HD7950?
                  I have a HD 7850 and i couldn't find any tool to change the frequencies of the card.

Comment

Working...
                  X