No announcement yet.

Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 680 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a nice review. I hope that we will see triple-monitor benchmarks from Phoronix one day.

@johnc
    NVidia gives you faster performance on Windows. But that is partly due to their dynamic overclocking "GPU Boost", and at least their overclocking support on Linux used to be inferior to the Windows support.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Phoronix compared retail cards. French site hardware.fr compared cards intended for reviewers and for retail from Nvidia, and found that the press sample was between 1.5 and 5% faster than the retail sample.

Comment

Yep, quite interesting that the results are the other way around compared to Windows.

Comment

Interesting are the heaven results, should be compared against dx11 and opengl4 on win...

Comment

7950 vs 680 ?

This is not a proper test. Either put a 7970 against a 680 or a 7950 against 670.

Comment

if i was bridgeman i would even ever respond to any forum post Q has been in. its like, whats the point.

Comment

Impressive!

Impressive how well the Radeon 7950 performs (considering its not even the 7970!) for OpenGL workloads.
              I wish it would do a bit better for 2D workload however...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                and then in 2013 bridgman will claim this as his "victory" in improving the opensource support but his moves are very trivial a hamster would do the same for food.
                Did someone say "food" ?

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  This one's a bit of a head-scratcher.

The benchmarks done on other sites seemed to indicate that the 680 clearly performed better.
                  Uh No.. I don't know where you got that idea. Other than in a few games that are well known to be Nvidia focused, Radeon 79xx hardware actually was on par with or better than their Nvidia equivalents, though a wash in general in terms of gaming performance. Now what is true is that the architecture of the 79xx series strongly beat both Kepler and Fermi in OpenCL work, but that's about it for one or the other having the crown for this generation.

So we end up with this:

Windows:
                  Graphics : Nvidia ~ AMD
                  Compute: Nvidia < AMD

Linux:
                  Graphics: Nvidia ~ AMD
                  Computer: Nvidia < AMD
                  2D: Nvidia > AMD

Comment

That resume is incorrect, it does not consider wine. Try to play rage using fglrx and with nvidia and you will see the difference. in most cases nvidia works best for wine and fglrx often fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Uh No.. I don't know where you got that idea.
                      Interesting.

I must have read something different when the 680 came out.

Comment

Working...
                      X