Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source Graphics Card Is Dead

Phoronix: The Open-Source Graphics Card Is Dead

The effort to create an open-source graphics card suffered a premature and quiet death some time ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The mail archive is still available on gmane: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.opengraphics

Comment

Link

1. The VGA switch link does not work.
      2. Shut up about beer.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        2. Shut up about beer.
        I know alcoholics that have gone through the twelve steps that are less whiny about mentioning beer.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          I know alcoholics that have gone through the twelve steps that are less whiny about mentioning beer.
          I came here to read about Linux, and free open source software and hardware.
          Not about beer.
          If I wanted to read about beer, I would goto some beer website.

Larabel is constantly going on and on about his fucking beer and gay ass lederhosen.

Comment

I came here to read about Linux, and free open source software and hardware. Not about beer. If I wanted to read about beer, I would goto some beer website. Larabel is constantly going on and on about his fucking beer and gay ass lederhosen.
            The article itself does not mention beer. It just has some pics of beers with captions. Also, Michael is recounting his conversation with E. Eich, which took place over beers, so quit being a whiny troll/bitch.

Comment

*cough*url*cough*

Two seconds of DuckDuckGo'ing turned up:

Project VGA, Low Budget, Open Source, VGA Compatible, Video Card, PCI, FPGA, Xilinx Spartan, Student

Comment

I came here to read about Linux, and free open source software and hardware.
                Not about beer.
                If I wanted to read about beer, I would goto some beer website.

Larabel is constantly going on and on about his fucking beer and gay ass lederhosen.
                And you can still just as easily visit another linux website because no one here gives a shit about your non-linux sensitivities.

Comment

Well, this just means, you cannot sell framebuffer VGA for 750$. No one will buy it.

Opensource or not, people actually care about functionality/price. Opensource can broaden, enhance and widen the time frame for the functionality, but it will not be replacing the product qualities/price ratio itself. I guess, its a failure at marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Well, this just means, you cannot sell framebuffer VGA for 750$. No one will buy it.
                    The $750 OGD1 card was not just a framebuffer VGA; the point was to run 3D acceleration in the FPGA. The FPGA was not able to hold as many shaders or run as fast as an ATI or Nvidia chip, but it was a developmental prototype, and if the project was successful, an ASIC would have been developed. It still would have been difficult to match what the big guys can do, but it at least would have wound up somewhere in the ballpark.

The $750 OGD1 card was also not actually intended to sell as a product to end users as a graphics card. It was intended for developers, either of the OGP, or anyone that wanted a fairly beefy FPGA.

When the project started, there was no recent-generation ATI or Nvidia chip that had public documentation. Only an ATI chip that was already about four generations old had docs. ATI (now AMD) started providing documentation that covers most of the the chip (UVD being the notable exception), so the need for OGP is much less that it was when the project started.

Comment

Working...
                    X