X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    @glisse

Do you mean TGSI or r600 asm?

My GSOC shader (TGSI) was 20% faster when hand-optimized compared to Mesa's GLSL compiler. But that's only at TGSI level, I believe it would be much faster if properly compiled (maybe wrong word) down to r600g asm instead of the simple replacement that I understand is the current status.
    I mean at r600 asm level. What was your shader ? My experiment showed allmost no win but i didn't do big shader (even doom3 don't have that big shader).

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      glisse it's because nouveau is faster than radeon: considering nouveau isn't backed by nvidia and there isn't any documentation that's quite strange and peoples started searching for a culprit.
      Where is it shown the nouveau would be faster? I have had the impression that, when they both work, they are about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        As others have said it would be good to keep in mind which performance features in the HW are enabled and which are still being worked on. Looks like the article ran with driver defaults - Michael is that correct ? Any idea what clocks were being used (ie what the VBIOS power state called for) ?
        Bridgman, AFAIK checking the Radeon clocks still requires a debug feature (DEBUGFS), even though it is a decidedly non-debug operation. Could you lobby on making a stable interface for it in /sys, so all users will have access to the clocks without requiring the enabling of debug features?

What was your shader ? My experiment showed allmost no win but i didn't do big shader (even doom3 don't have that big shader).
        MLAA. The hand-optimized TGSI can be found in any current Mesa. And yes, it's a big shader (three passes, the second pass is the biggest).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Bridgman, AFAIK checking the Radeon clocks still requires a debug feature (DEBUGFS), even though it is a decidedly non-debug operation. Could you lobby on making a stable interface for it in /sys, so all users will have access to the clocks without requiring the enabling of debug features?
          +1

(stupid character limit)
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            +1
            Even better, if the interface is GPU vendor neutral. This way the user-space app would be simple, and will GPU neutral also.

Comment

So we all agree that the very poor benchmarks were due to the clocks being low by default on Fusion?

Then what's left to be desired is proper 'idiot proof' dynamic power management, enabled by default, so phoronix won't draw the wrong conclusions after benchmarking

Comment

Working...
              X