Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a new GPU soon. How's the 7700 series on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhuFighter
    replied
    Originally posted by barkas View Post
    I do hope you know that ESXi is headless save for some text mode basic configuration stuff.
    Yes. I have it installed on my servers at work now. I am just putting together a system at home so that i don't have to comply wiht all of the security policies from the office. The idea is to have all of the ESXi VMs (for dev purposes) boot off of the SSD, while windows, etc. boot off of a HDD.

Leave a comment:

• barkas
    replied
    Originally posted by PhuFighter View Post
    Hmm.. there seems to be a bit of a religious war going on

Not wanting to step into any doo-doo, I completely f'd up and need to purchase a video card for my new rig today. Some specs: Phenom IIx4 960 with Asus M5A97 mobo, 16GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, 120GB SSD, and a Corsair HX550W PSU. And, of course, I had an old nvidia 7300GS video card kicking around.. but I didn't realize that it's a short height bracket and i lost the full height bracket that's needed for my case

The aim is to run ESXi, and I'm planning on using CentOS for one or more VMs. I don't intend on playing any games on here, but will probably have the odd video playback. I was thinking of getting a 7750 based card due to the attractive TDP and performance per W.

Windows will also be installed on here at some point, but that's secondary.

Is a 7750/7770 based card a good idea? I guess I want something relatively newer architecture because it'll be a while before this is upgraded, and I'm interested in messing around with OpenCL. So, in case It's not obvious, this is mostly a development rig so pure performance isn't critical, but I wouldn't want it to chug along too slowly.

Thoughts? I pretty much want to purchase the card today or tomorrow so I can spend some quality time this weekend using it.
    I do hope you know that ESXi is headless save for some text mode basic configuration stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Dandel
    replied
    Originally posted by PhuFighter View Post

Not wanting to step into any doo-doo, I completely f'd up and need to purchase a video card for my new rig today. Some specs: Phenom IIx4 960 with Asus M5A97 mobo, 16GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, 120GB SSD, and a Corsair HX550W PSU. And, of course, I had an old nvidia 7300GS video card kicking around.. but I didn't realize that it's a short height bracket and i lost the full height bracket that's needed for my case

The aim is to run ESXi, and I'm planning on using CentOS for one or more VMs. I don't intend on playing any games on here, but will probably have the odd video playback. I was thinking of getting a 7750 based card due to the attractive TDP and performance per W.

Is a 7750/7770 based card a good idea? I guess I want something relatively newer architecture because it'll be a while before this is upgraded, and I'm interested in messing around with OpenCL. So, in case It's not obvious, this is mostly a development rig so pure performance isn't critical, but I wouldn't want it to chug along too slowly.

Thoughts? I pretty much want to purchase the card today or tomorrow so I can spend some quality time this weekend using it.
    See my previous post... Although, the 7750/7770 is an extremely good idea because both include the option to perform double precision floating point calculations within the graphics card. This is extremely good if you want to do math that requires precision.

Leave a comment:

• PhuFighter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pixo
    replied
    So I tested 3 h264 films using VLC and xvba on opengl and did not find any problems with it.

Also tested more games and foud this one working
    Dead Space 1,2
    Fallout: New Vegas
    NWN 2

Magicka was unplayable due to graphic

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    Thank for the info!

Ubuntu 12.04 seems to use fglrx 12.4, but if that is a problem, I can probably find some way to update.

Flash is important for the kids, but I currently have to disable HW acceleration anyway with the Nvidia driver due to all flash videos looking like Avatar (people having blue skin :-). So if only it works non-accelerated that will at least be as good as Nvidia.

It would be nice though, if you could test video playback of some h264 content in HD. Maybe you could try with mplayer and see what video output works best: xv, opengl, xvba, ....

Leave a comment:

• pixo
    replied
    running Gentoo ~amd64
    fglrx 12.6 (the open source are not ready to be used on HD 7xxx series)
    wine-1.5.7
    single monitor
    flash now works in fullscreen with 12.6
    i don`t watch video on this card, for video I run separate X on Intel graphic with XBMC

Linux kriziak 3.4.4-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Jun 26 08:19:15 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    8GB of ram
    SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5

~ $ uname -a
    Linux kriziak 3.4.4-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Jun 26 08:19:15 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    ~ $ emerge -pv ati-drivers
    These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
    Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild R ] x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.6 USE="modules (multilib) qt4 -debug -pax_kernel -static-libs" 0 kB
    Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
    ~ $ emerge -pv wine
    These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
    Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild R ] app-emulation/wine-1.5.7 USE="X alsa cups gecko jpeg lcms ldap mono mp3 ncurses nls openal opengl oss perl png pulseaudio ssl threads truetype udisk
    s win32 win64 xcomposite xinerama xml -capi -custom-cflags -fontconfig -gnutls -gphoto2 -gsm (-gstreamer) -hardened -odbc -opencl -samba -scanner (-selinux) -test -v4
    l" 0 kB
    Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Leave a comment:

• Paul Frederick
    replied
    You ran those games in Linux?

Originally posted by pixo View Post
    I found some time to test some games on my HD 7750.
    Games That works:
    HL2
    Portal 2
    Might & Magic: Dark Messiah
    Star Trek Online

I am going to test some more when I get home today:
    Homm 5
    Magika

I think I read elsewhere in this thread that AMD is different in Windows than Linux so where you ran them would matter.

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by pixo View Post
    I found some time to test some games on my HD 7750...
    @Pixo: Thanks, finally some constructive input to this thread, which seems to be full of useless FUD spreading.

Under what conditions did you test these games? Ubuntu? Wine version? fglrx version?
    What are your experiences with video playback? Multiscreen? Flash?

Leave a comment:

• pixo
    replied
    I found some time to test some games on my HD 7750.
    Games That works:
    HL2
    Portal 2
    Might & Magic: Dark Messiah
    Star Trek Online

I am going to test some more when I get home today:
    Homm 5
    Magika

Leave a comment:

Working...
X