Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a new GPU soon. How's the 7700 series on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And HOW did intel get it back? They dropped p4 architecture and improved the p3 one. pentium m first combined the p3 core with a p4 bus. Later the core solo/duo was used for laptops before the core 2 for desktops was introduced. The netburst architecture was a failure, intel learnt from that. Itanium was a failure as well. Ok, you think more about the antithrust lawsuit, but i am no lawyer, i only compare cpus.
    Last edited by Kano; 02 July 2012, 08:08 AM.

Comment

No, that is not it

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Thanks Paul. I was working for ATI 10 years ago (joined in 1998) but not in the Linux area. I did watch press releases even then, however, so I'm surprised I didn't see whatever you are talking about. Has anything like that happened more recently, say in the last 5 years when I was involved ?

The only thing I can think about from 10 years ago would be moving from limited open source driver support to providing binary drivers as part of acquiring FireGL, but I don't think that would count as "backpedaling" since the only thing we said about Linux before that IIRC is "there's an open source driver and here's a link to the project(s)". I believe we occasionally also funded some 3D development work ourselves, helped with the Weather Network-funded effort for R200, and provided some programming information to the developers for subsequent generations, but don't remember any press releases or other statements about that work.

If you could give me some additional clues that would be a real help.

EDIT -- I did some searching for press releases from 2001/2002 that might cover what you are hinting at - for your amusement only the first one I found was :

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl...86&cid=4723848
      I did some looking myself in hopes of finding something related but the signal to noise ratio on the topic is far too high, and my resources far too limited to have succeeded. I guess you'll just have to take my random word for it. It is the best I can do.

I did manage to dig this up, it somewhat echoes what I recall:

But it isn't exactly it either. If I were you I'd be more interested in tomorrow. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow Windows will be running on ARM too, and where does that leave AMD? Out in the cold with all the rest of us second class citizens no doubt. There could be a brighter future for Linux and AMD than anyone is imagining today. We'll just have to all wait and see. Pity if AMD waits too long though ...

Comment

Thanks Paul. Normally I focus entirely on tomorrow, but when you said that we did something so terrible that you (and others) would never use AMD products again and I had no idea what you were talking about it seemed worth looking into.

IIRC 2004 was when we were just starting to move the Linux drivers from a completely separate code base to a shared-code model so we could bring hardware support and features/performance to Linux users more quickly. That work started in 2004 (to get ready for r5xx in 2005) and ran through 2007, with the last big change (moving to a new OpenGL driver stack) coming in Sep 2007.
        Test signature

Comment

Never is a long time

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Thanks Paul. Normally I focus entirely on tomorrow, but when you said that we did something so terrible that you (and others) would never use AMD products again and I had no idea what you were talking about it seemed worth looking into.

IIRC 2004 was when we were just starting to move the Linux drivers from a completely separate code base to a shared-code model so we could bring hardware support and features/performance to Linux users more quickly. That work started in 2004 (to get ready for r5xx in 2005) and ran through 2007, with the last big change (moving to a new OpenGL driver stack) coming in Sep 2007.
          I never look at AMD now, but things change. One change I've noticed is AMD has been making positive progress when it comes to Linux. So I am not going to discount them for all of time. I just do not feel the time is quite right for me yet. I hope the time comes before AMD slips into oblivion. That is more up to AMD than me though.

I don't have the luxury of resources to play a long game like a big company does, but when a company is big, playing a long game is not a luxury, it is survival. I think AMD needs to work on its long game some more, or I don't see them playing with the majors for too many more rounds.

Now that is not saying I'm not in it for the long haul myself. I am. However my trip will be many small steps, each dictated by the terrain I find myself on. Technology is constantly changing, so no fixed position will ever be safe. That's my story and I'm shifting with it!

The next big change I see on the horizon is ARM. With Microsoft porting Windows to it I'm sure it is going to change things a lot. What I don't see is how any of that change will be positive for AMD. Good for Linux though. Oddly good for Linux from every angle.

Comment

I found some time to test some games on my HD 7750.
            Games That works:
            HL2
            Portal 2
            Might & Magic: Dark Messiah
            Star Trek Online

I am going to test some more when I get home today:
            Homm 5
            Magika

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
              I found some time to test some games on my HD 7750...
              @Pixo: Thanks, finally some constructive input to this thread, which seems to be full of useless FUD spreading.

Under what conditions did you test these games? Ubuntu? Wine version? fglrx version?
              What are your experiences with video playback? Multiscreen? Flash?

Comment

You ran those games in Linux?

Originally posted by pixo View Post
                I found some time to test some games on my HD 7750.
                Games That works:
                HL2
                Portal 2
                Might & Magic: Dark Messiah
                Star Trek Online

I am going to test some more when I get home today:
                Homm 5
                Magika

I think I read elsewhere in this thread that AMD is different in Windows than Linux so where you ran them would matter.

Comment

running Gentoo ~amd64
                  fglrx 12.6 (the open source are not ready to be used on HD 7xxx series)
                  wine-1.5.7
                  single monitor
                  flash now works in fullscreen with 12.6
                  i don`t watch video on this card, for video I run separate X on Intel graphic with XBMC

Linux kriziak 3.4.4-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Jun 26 08:19:15 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
                  8GB of ram
                  SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5

~ $ uname -a
                  Linux kriziak 3.4.4-gentoo #1 SMP Tue Jun 26 08:19:15 CEST 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
                  ~ $ emerge -pv ati-drivers
                  These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
                  Calculating dependencies... done!
                  [ebuild R ] x11-drivers/ati-drivers-12.6 USE="modules (multilib) qt4 -debug -pax_kernel -static-libs" 0 kB
                  Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
                  ~ $ emerge -pv wine
                  These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
                  Calculating dependencies... done!
                  [ebuild R ] app-emulation/wine-1.5.7 USE="X alsa cups gecko jpeg lcms ldap mono mp3 ncurses nls openal opengl oss perl png pulseaudio ssl threads truetype udisk
                  s win32 win64 xcomposite xinerama xml -capi -custom-cflags -fontconfig -gnutls -gphoto2 -gsm (-gstreamer) -hardened -odbc -opencl -samba -scanner (-selinux) -test -v4
                  l" 0 kB
                  Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Comment

Thank for the info!

Ubuntu 12.04 seems to use fglrx 12.4, but if that is a problem, I can probably find some way to update.

Flash is important for the kids, but I currently have to disable HW acceleration anyway with the Nvidia driver due to all flash videos looking like Avatar (people having blue skin :-). So if only it works non-accelerated that will at least be as good as Nvidia.

It would be nice though, if you could test video playback of some h264 content in HD. Maybe you could try with mplayer and see what video output works best: xv, opengl, xvba, ....

Comment

So I tested 3 h264 films using VLC and xvba on opengl and did not find any problems with it.

Also tested more games and foud this one working
                      Dead Space 1,2
                      Fallout: New Vegas
                      NWN 2

Magicka was unplayable due to graphic

Comment

Working...
                      X