Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a new GPU soon. How's the 7700 series on Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kano
    replied
    You can simply buy intel, then you get the gpu for free and only with oss driver for linux, no big deal The cpu is faster too.

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
    Catalyst customers only pay (1/30) per card to the open-source people but open-source people pay (29/30) per card to the catalyst people.
    This means that the subsidization of open source by the catalyst people do not have a relevance because its only (1/30) per card.
    Now stop this complete and utter nonsense! By your insane religous logic the 1000/1 windows customers are getting ripped off because they subsidize all development of the silicon to the free-riding odd open source Linux customer. Go and buy an Open-Source graphics card (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEwNTQ) and stop trolling this forum!

Kudos to AMD for even supporting the Open Source drivers and providing (most) documentation for their hardware.

(Note to self: Stop feeding the trolls...)
    *plonk*

Leave a comment:

• maldorordiscord
    replied
    Originally posted by Dandel View Post
    I would personally say that they can already "improve" the open source driver while improving their own without much hassle... it's called implementing and adding tests for the specifications the driver is supposed to implement. I have already found that the ati driver is definitely not thread safe let alone does it implement everything correctly. I know that the driver has major crashing problems on recent catalyst versions when running piglit in threaded mode. It's not as bad with Catalyst 11.11, but catalyst 12.4/12.6 has major problems.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/
    ... sure... but thats another tropic.

Leave a comment:

• Dandel
    replied
    Right I don't know the real numbers.
    And its also right that you don't need to send the money to FSF supporting the driver is also fine

Why not just start a kick-starter project to enlarge the open-source investment ?
    Just calculate the money you need to improve the open-source driver to beat the catalyst and then but this number into a kick-starter project.

I would support that!
    I would personally say that they can already "improve" the open source driver while improving their own without much hassle... it's called implementing and adding tests for the specifications the driver is supposed to implement. I have already found that the ati driver is definitely not thread safe let alone does it implement everything correctly. I know that the driver has major crashing problems on recent catalyst versions when running piglit in threaded mode. It's not as bad with Catalyst 11.11, but catalyst 12.4/12.6 has major problems.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit/

Leave a comment:

• maldorordiscord
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    From the numbers you use I assume you're talking about the Windows driver, not the Catalyst Linux driver, right ?
    Maybe I'm missing some subtle nuance, but don't all the HW vendors have proprietary Windows drivers ?
    Instead of supporting open source driver development ?
    BTW can you check your numbers ? You're suggesting we give you more money than we sell the chips for... is that one of those "only our volume allows us to stay in business" deals ?
    You know we sell chips, not cards ?
    Right I don't know the real numbers.
    And its also right that you don't need to send the money to FSF supporting the driver is also fine

Why not just start a kick-starter project to enlarge the open-source investment ?
    Just calculate the money you need to improve the open-source driver to beat the catalyst and then but this number into a kick-starter project.

I would support that!

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    From the numbers you use I assume you're talking about the Windows driver, not the Catalyst Linux driver, right ?

Maybe I'm missing some subtle nuance, but don't all the HW vendors have proprietary Windows drivers ?

I'm sure there can be a solution for this problem why not spend 100€ per 7970 open-source customer to the FSF ?
    the sum should not be too large and would be a nice gesture of fairness.
    Instead of supporting open source driver development ?

BTW can you check your numbers ? You're suggesting we give you more money than we sell the chips for... is that one of those "only our volume allows us to stay in business" deals ?

You know we sell chips, not cards ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• maldorordiscord
    replied
    You're also saying don't buy AMD if you use the closed source driver because you will subsidize the open source driver, and that NVidia is better than AMD because they don't invest in open source.

Are you sure you're on the right side of the argument ?
    Nvidia is the worst choice thats for sure.

Catalyst customers only pay (1/30) per card to the open-source people but open-source people pay (29/30) per card to the catalyst people.
    This means that the subsidization of open source by the catalyst people do not have a relevance because its only (1/30) per card.

This means the market economic-policy-law force you to stop buying AMD graphic solutions and go with Intel for example.

I'm sure there can be a solution for this problem why not spend 100? per 7970 open-source customer to the FSF ?
    the sum should not be too large and would be a nice gesture of fairness.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    You're also saying don't buy AMD if you use the closed source driver because you will subsidize the open source driver, and that NVidia is better than AMD because they don't invest in open source.

Are you sure you're on the right side of the argument ?

Leave a comment:

• maldorordiscord
    replied
    Originally posted by Veto View Post
    Try to think yourself about the ramifications of your suggestions for a moment... We do not need even more division and incompatibility. (Like a "Linux Only" graphics card would be a huge sustainable success - dooooh! )
    You just don't get the point right now the open-source customers subsidize the catalyst customers!
    And only Catalyst incompatible hardware can fix this!
    Or don't buy AMD hardware !

Leave a comment:

• maldorordiscord
    replied
    It's like a buffet... if you fill up on ham we don't charge you for the roast beef
    Sure but its not a buffet!
    For a rational human the conclusion is: don't buy AMD hardware if you are a open-source driver user because you will subsidize the closed source driver because for every euro the closed source makes a higher percentage because the prices are determined by the closed source driver team and you get less features if you use the open-source driver and there is no compensation to open-source users.

Market economy based opensource driver users hurt them self by buying AMD hardware.

I needed long time to understand this lever.

Now the question is what to buy to max the pressure against this evil antisocial "Lever" ?

ARM based systems without windows support and without closed source drivers?
    Intel systems with OEM Linux on it to make sure open-source is the case?
    Stop playing games and use 3D features at all?
    Buying server hardware clusters and use software-openGL-cpu rendering?

This evil antisocial "Lever" must definitely be stopped.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X