Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon 1950XTX with Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATI Radeon 1950XTX with Linux

    Hello

    I have a Sapphire 1950XTX 512Mo PCI-express.
    Is there a driver for Linux that supports this GPU???

    for information, i will use Unbreakable Linux 4 update 5 from Oracle or RedHat 4 update 5 or Redhat 5.

    My motherboard is a P5W Dh Deluxe.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by naindejardin View Post
    Hello

    I have a Sapphire 1950XTX 512Mo PCI-express.
    Is there a driver for Linux that supports this GPU???

    for information, i will use Unbreakable Linux 4 update 5 from Oracle or RedHat 4 update 5 or Redhat 5.

    My motherboard is a P5W Dh Deluxe.

    Thanks
    This graphics card should work under Linux using the proprietary fglrx driver -- http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      This graphics card should work under Linux using the proprietary fglrx driver -- http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html
      To the best of my recollection, it's pretty much the best choice (heh...) for a Linux configuration requiring an ATI card in it- while you will see half of the Windows performance, a 1950XTX is a beast of a GPU card and will chew up pretty much anything you throw at it that doesn't cause the driver to crash or trip over itself (Some Windows games will grind the system to slide-show speeds or slower because of weaknesses in their driver implementation...).

      I don't think I'd shell out the cash for one, but it'd work pretty well overall in-spite of ATI's failings in the driver space.

      Comment


      • #4
        Anyway I recommend you to buy GeForce series videocard for linux. It has better OpenGL support.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LeeJohns8 View Post
          Anyway I recommend you to buy GeForce series videocard for linux. It has better OpenGL support.
          I would like people to not advise someone to buy nVidia because of their drivers any more. "nvidia" has some G80 problems, "fglrx" has... uhm... bugs. But the year is not over and when you read Michaels articles you'll notice that it'll be a hot winter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I would like people to not advise someone to buy nVidia because of their drivers any more. "nvidia" has some G80 problems, "fglrx" has... uhm... bugs. But the year is not over and when you read Michaels articles you'll notice that it'll be a hot winter.
            I'd reserve judgement on that one. Until you SEE the results, you're not going to be able to make decisions either way.

            The current ATI/AMD drivers are NOT even close to sub-par, whereas as long as you're not talking G80 drivers, the NVidia ones are at parity or better than the Windows equivalents.

            In other words, if you're buying now, anything other than a G80 series card in NVidia seems to be the best bet for overall results in Linux in the 3D space. ATI is NOT it yet- it remains to be seen if they succeed like some people think they will on the driver front by end of this year.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't want to get into the nVida vs ATI argument. I do want to report that I have an ATI X1950XTX running Kubuntu 7.04 and it works fine with the FGLRX driver from repository (8.34?), with all of the expected limitations of the FGLRX driver.

              The hardware is so fast the relative pokeyness of the driver simply isn't an issue.

              RBM

              Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              I'd reserve judgement on that one. Until you SEE the results, you're not going to be able to make decisions either way.

              The current ATI/AMD drivers are NOT even close to sub-par, whereas as long as you're not talking G80 drivers, the NVidia ones are at parity or better than the Windows equivalents.

              In other words, if you're buying now, anything other than a G80 series card in NVidia seems to be the best bet for overall results in Linux in the 3D space. ATI is NOT it yet- it remains to be seen if they succeed like some people think they will on the driver front by end of this year.

              Comment

              Working...
              X