Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL performance in games

Hi all!

I really don't know where to post, but I thought this could be the best place as graphic card forums tend to talk about performance

So I'm using F7 default kernel + nvidia drivers and Mandriva 2007.1 Spring default with nvidia drivers.

Performance in Doom3 in Mandriva is really better in Mandriva, where it always tend to be at 63 fps but in fedora it flickers lower than 60, like 50, 60 etc. this is really noticable when playing.
    Timedemo1 in Mandriva runs 51 sec and in F7 60, so average fps Mandriva 41 and F7 37 and in Mandriva it feels way smoother than F7.

Can someone tell me where the heck comes the difference, as drivers are the same, HW the same, OpenGL the same?

And another thing: in Gnome UI response in Mandriva is better than in F7, menu opens faster, all elements are drawn faster, flash works better and scrolling in FF is faster, meaning all graphical things are just faster...

It seems Mandriva guys optimized X or smth I dunno, please help to pin-point the reason...

I posted in Fedora forums as well as in Mandrivas, there are only guesses about F7 i386 and Mandrivas i586 arch, but both to me seems i686 if I do arch...

Can someone more knowledgeable then me can make a test and observe I'm I only one getting this... Or just post the possible reason.
    One thing: I have no beryl/compiz/aiglx thing, services are about the same in both distros, no stupid background things etc.

regards
    Kirurgs

Can someone tell me where the heck comes the difference, as drivers are the same, HW the same, OpenGL the same?
    xorg.conf, loaded modules, running services. you name it. maybe also kernel version.

i always thought that distros like mandrake or fedora have too many running services. but then again, every binary distro that's supposed to work out-of-the-box does the same thing.

there are lots of factors.

Comment

I already wrote that services are the same, nothing is running in backgorund etc.
      I really dunno about xorg.conf, but I do think this is the same, as I usually set up this in the same way using nVidia control panel.

I suspect this is some internal Xorg optimizations, coz even Flash things are running faster in Mandriva, so numbers:
      open www.one.lv (uses flash, heavy, that's why I used it ):
      Mandriva: firefox 26%, xorg 8%
      Fedora: firefox 54%, xorg 16%

This is a real diff.
      I dunno how to explain

Comment

This is interesting. I thought Fedora would be one of the faster distributions. But Mandriva is great again since 2007.0.

Maybe Michael can guess what's wrong here.

Comment

maybe audio config has something to do with this?

Comment

No, audio has nothing to do with it, coz that flash site doesn't use audio at all...
            Doom3, yes, there is audio, but I don't think it's an issue...

Can someone try to get Mandriva and Fedora LiveCD and compare CPU usage on that site, but please, if You do, post specs and do measurements on both distros on the same HW...

Today I'll try on Debian and then post the results...

Comment

Ok, I got better results in F7 in flash thing by messing up with module section, ~30% FF and ~10% xorg, which is better...

Debian was ~20% FF and 8% xorg, which is even faster...

Doom3 in debian is the same as in Mandriva, this might be smth with Kernel...
              Mandriva uses 2.6.17, Debian 2.6.18 and F7 2.6.21 (w/ tickless thing)...

So this is it, I think... can't do much more...

Comment

Working...
              X