Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artivision
    replied
    First of all there is no hardware video decoding (this only exist in "videoplay" asic cards), gpus have only general and 3d instructions and 3d dedicated units. The video acceleration part is implemented in the driver using shader instructions. So don't believe generation 4-5-6-7, and most benchmarks are fake anyway. In nvidia cards there are 2 generations: one floating point only (g80-gf300), and one float+integer (gf400fermi+). Also fermi has 64bit dual issue shader, so gt430(96cores) = gtx260(192cores) = 800-900Gflops(fmac32bit) = 800core-radeon(4madd/ops are 3fmac/ops). Radeon is bad for linux, bad d3d-ogl emulation(wine) performance(1/3nvidia), bad compatibility(css don't work in dx9+ mode), bad video acceleration and tearing, bad gpgpu(openCL apps ware?) mediacoder/cuda/wine rules, and bad price. Best card = used gtx460(90dollars), old model(16x32 not 8x48) in order to free at least 480cores with gtx480 bios = 4Tflops(fmac32bit).

Leave a comment:

• Babuloseo
    replied
    I got mines for around 27 dollars, with gst and hst... was on a sale on newgee canada..
    the card is amazing XD, I dont understand why people are bitching about it so much :/

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by scjet View Post
    .. 8800GT (single-slot 512MB)...
    this justs asks for fire extinguisher.

Leave a comment:

• scjet
    replied
    no kidding ?!

Agreed,
    It's a very LOOOOOWWW end card (aka, it can "barely" play HD, and forget anything else) as in, an 8600GT beats it easily ?, and so does an 8400, and probably a 6800 -LoL ?

btw: I finally got rid of my 520gt, and I just picked up a couple of "used" 9800GT's (single slots) for $25 /each; great shape, and OMFG, when the kids don't need to watch movies, I'm still able to play "ANY" of my games in beautifull HD, not to mention some 3D-flight Sims,... + it can do Directx10, and that's good enough, for almost "anything". !
    2nd btw: a good used 8800GT (single-slot 512MB) would also have done the trick just as nicely.

And now, my other "used"-spare (and cheap) 9800GT can finally go into my other "used" FreeBSD Desktop.
    Low profile you mention ? -so what !,
    \if you can't afford 6 square-inches more?, then just move outta that cramped Mobile home man.

I think the "used" PC-market parts is coming back to life again.
    Hurray.
    and oh ya, I hear you Mr. electrical GREEN-nut, but it's ok, I don't mind spending and extra 0.29 cents per month to run these beauties.
    So, this thread is now officially "Get Over It" !!!
    "New" doesn't necessarily always mean better ppl, but holy-heck we all knew that down-deep, didn't we ?

zooom -bye.
    Last edited by scjet; 30 November 2011, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    You still think I'm being unfair?
    No, just unreasonable and near-sighted. I even said if one wants hardware video acceleration right now, nvidia is preferable. I also said that g3dvl is in its infancy and that AMD has hired more devs for open-source development. So, don't think that things will never change, but don't expect tough work to happen instantly either.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    To be fair, AMD is hiring community devs that show interest in supporting AMD on Linux. The g3dvl state tracker is in its infancy, and it's not going to mature overnight.
    You still think I'm being unfair? Have you read the latest reports in either the ATI/AMD (Catalyst) driver or OSS driver sections? I say I'm not being unfair.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    I guess AMD supports Windows, not Linux.
    To be fair, AMD is hiring community devs that show interest in supporting AMD on Linux. The g3dvl state tracker is in its infancy, and it's not going to mature overnight.

Leave a comment:

• Panix
    replied
    You're welcome, Windows user
    If you're going to go with an ATI card, you might as well be a Windows user.

What's the point of an ATI card in Linux if you want it for a HTPC machine? AMD refuses to support xvba and/or any UVD3 hardware acceleration/decoding in Linux.

Nvidia at least has some option so I guess their support is better overall. Nvidia has a BSD driver, AMD, again, no.

AMD has an open driver that half works but no support with HD 6xxx cards.

The GT 520 card might suck but it's fairly recent and with VDPAU, you can use it for HTPC which is all it's basically good for. NO ATI cards are good for HTPC in Linux but they're totally supported in Windows. I guess AMD supports Windows, not Linux.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard Wolf VI View Post
    I saw the benchmarks here and they spoke by themselves.

Saw the ones on Anandtech and I couldn't agree more:

On the GT 520 and HD 6450:

Thanks for the article!
    You're welcome, Windows user

Leave a comment:

• Richard Wolf VI
    replied
    The GT520 may have less 3D hardware, but its core and memory clocks are faster, which is the important thing for PureVideo. Did you actually look at the benchmarks, or did you just assume the 520 was slower? http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/d...us-shootout/11]
    I saw the benchmarks here and they spoke by themselves.

Saw the ones on Anandtech and I couldn't agree more:

On the GT 520 and HD 6450:

A discerning buyer building a HTPC system, having perused the various sections in this piece, would do well to avoid these two products.
    If you prefer only AMD cards, the 6570 is the perfect HTPC card.
    If you prefer only NVIDIA cards, the GT 430 is the perfect HTPC card for which you can obtain a passively cooled model.
    Thanks for the article!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X