Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use an outdated driver?

Comment

Well i am currently unsure if current vaapi intel drivers are unstable only together with older ddx / mesa / xserver or in general. Basically when you get a cpu around 3 ghz or more you are not forced to use accelleration - you can enable it when it is fixed. Would be good if at least ivi bridge would be out together with a working driver/vaapi stack in a few months. It should fix a minor 24000/1001 fps issue as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Do you use an outdated driver?
        Don't believe so. Think it was built around Ubuntu 11.10.
        Last edited by kaczu; 11 January 2012, 07:26 AM.

Comment

That'll be the 280 driver. There's also 290 available in the driver PPA from ubuntu-x-swat, but the changelogs of 285 and 290 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...yir_2011&num=1) aren't too exciting. 290 feels laggy on my laptop (8400M GS), in LibreOffice it's even worse. Sometimes it takes seconds before the text I type appears on the screen with 290, while 280 does not have this problem.

Comment

I see no problem with 290.10, with 295.09 i had some issues with hdmi sound. Maybe U is crap

Comment

Originally posted by kaczu View Post
              I would stay away from the 520 and go with the 430 instead. At least in Linux, the performance of the 430 was far better for video playback. I was building another extender and saw a 520 in Microcenter and picked it up since it was a good deal. But when I installed it, it could barely play back HD content, while the 430 had no trouble with it at all. Maybe it's different in Windows, however for Linux use only the most boring HD content could be run without issue.
              Might have been a problem with your system because I was able to watch any HD size video all the way back to a 9600 gso on linux. I always found the opposite true, on windows, less support for higher frame references for avc videos using mpc-hc, the only player I know of that can use unencumbered dxva for video files. Or maybe it depends on the card brand, although I doubt it.

Comment

Keep in mind that the 520 is a low-end card. The 9600 GSO isn't low-end, though we might consider its 3D performance lower-end nowadays.

About card brands, those manufacturers often program their own clock speeds into the card's BIOS. If the card isn't clocked fast enough for HD video you of course run into problems. However, manufacturers usually overclock, lowering the max. clock speed is not that common.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                  Keep in mind that the 520 is a low-end card. The 9600 GSO isn't low-end, though we might consider its 3D performance lower-end nowadays.

About card brands, those manufacturers often program their own clock speeds into the card's BIOS. If the card isn't clocked fast enough for HD video you of course run into problems. However, manufacturers usually overclock, lowering the max. clock speed is not that common.
                  The 9600 gso wasn't a high end card, either. The core clock was lower, and the 128-bit memory didn't help. I'm seeing similar performance - same settings and resolution - running darkplaces-quake1 on the gt 520. Not an intensive benchmark, but the point is it wasn't high-end. Also, the vdpau benchmarks were much lower on the 9600 gso.

Comment

It is Nvidia or nothing on Linux for me

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    No, just unreasonable and near-sighted. I even said if one wants hardware video acceleration right now, nvidia is preferable. I also said that g3dvl is in its infancy and that AMD has hired more devs for open-source development. So, don't think that things will never change, but don't expect tough work to happen instantly either.

ATI is so poor that I consider it a rip off even when I get their trash for free! Time is money and it takes me time to pull that ATI junk out of systems. Nvidia is an honorable company and as such deserves respect from Linux users. AMD does have a lot of tough work ahead of them if they wish to earn anything from me. I'm shopping for a video card now and you can lay your last nickel on the fact that it'll say Nvidia on it.

Comment

There is something wrong with your picture

Originally posted by kaczu View Post
                      I would stay away from the 520 and go with the 430 instead. At least in Linux, the performance of the 430 was far better for video playback. I was building another extender and saw a 520 in Microcenter and picked it up since it was a good deal. But when I installed it, it could barely play back HD content, while the 430 had no trouble with it at all. Maybe it's different in Windows, however for Linux use only the most boring HD content could be run without issue.
                      I can play HD with a 32MB MX400 which is the lowest of the $9.95 low, but you're saying a GT 520 can't? I'd sooner believe you don't know what you're doing setting the hardware up. I'm sorry! Granted rebuilding mplayer locally helped a lot, but still. What I mean to say is it takes a bit more than just dropping these things into machines in order to get out of them what they can do.

Comment

Working...
                      X