Which (high end) graphics card to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    So you can't do it on the FOSS card is what you are saying.
    Do you even have a brain? That is not at all what I am saying.

g3d, oh ya, they are going support the API that nvidia put out.
    As well as every other API.

"These are not the droids you are looking for"
    Do tell... what exactly does a starwars quote from the 70's have to do with video cards?

LMFAO, go ahead and bench Catalyst vs FOSS (never mind the superior nvidia blobs)
    www.phoronix.com -- have a look. Michael already did.
    Of course, the results are IRRELEVANT since the numbers are all FAR above useful.

"These are not the droids you are looking for"
    Come up with something original

BS, there are many extensions that could be used, also do you think something like the upcoming Rage is going to run on FOSS drivers? Heck just read the forums and look at all the fun people had trying to get simple stuff like Humble Bundle stuff going on FOSS drivers.
    Huh? Relate this to ANYTHING that matters.

Don't forget KDE.
    What about KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Do tell... what exactly does a starwars quote from the 70's have to do with video cards?
      Because you are trying to do the same mind trick in convincing other that "they don't need that" just because the FOSS drivers don't support it or are capable of it.

Comment

Because you are trying to do the same mind trick in convincing other that "they don't need that" just because the FOSS drivers don't support it or are capable of it.
        And as I already mentioned BOTH your crappy nvidia garbage AS WELL AS AMD have blob drivers... so if somebody wants to use blob drivers, THEY ARE EQUAL. If they get sick of that bull, then ONLY AMD has decent OPEN drivers.

NVIDIA == CRAP BLOB
        AMD == CRAP BLOB + EXCELLENT OSS.

CRAP BLOB + EXCELLENT OSS > CRAB BLOB
        AMD WINS.

Comment

Did you REALLY test nouveau? It definitely advances MUCH faster than ati oss drivers. Of course you can get specs for ati cards, but that does not matter that much when you compare features and speed (at least for nvidia 8+).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Did you REALLY test nouveau? It definitely advances MUCH faster than ati oss drivers. Of course you can get specs for ati cards, but that does not matter that much when you compare features and speed (at least for nvidia 8+).
            Not in depth, I quite frankly couldn't care less about 3d or any other "advanced"/acceleration function on that device, all I want there is basic KMS and X. The main noteworthy aspect is that there is still virtually no power management (I think I read somewhere about recent reclocking work, but I don't think its past experimental yet...)

I have never had the impression that nouveau advances at more than a snail's pace. They started LONG before AMD's open source work began and remain behind. Which is not to say that the work isn't impressive -- that it most certainly IS.

Comment

NVIDIA == Excellent BLOB + real world used features
              AMD == CRAP BLOB + Slow but stable OSS

NVIDA Excellent blob > featureless FOSS + higher power consumption + limited api support
              NVIDIA WINS.
              Fixed that for you so that it sticks within the realm of reality of this universe.

Comment

Fixed that for you so that it sticks within the realm of reality of this universe.
                You didn't fix anything, you just proved your own ignorance. Now go crawl back into your hole.

Comment

I have never had the impression that nouveau advances at more than a snail's pace. They started LONG before AMD's open source work began and remain behind.
                  nouveau started in 2008, AMD in 2007 with releasing their specs, even far longer if you want to include the work that was done on the radeon driver.

Comment

You didn't fix anything, you just proved your own ignorance. Now go crawl back into your hole.
                    It was fixed for truth. Something you cannot seem to handle.

Comment

And by the way... nvidia blob is NOT by ANY means "excellent". It is a complete piece of barely supported garbage that usually ****DOES NOT WORK****. If you're OK with being blocked from updating your kernel for 2+ years because they refuse to fix a debilitating regression, then have fun. That would NOT satisfy me and I will be caught dead before giving those thieves even ONE CENT of my hard earned money for their trash.

Comment

Working...
                      X