Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DON'T get nvidia.
    Get AMD.

If you want a blob, their blobs are equal.
    If you feel like not bashing your head against a wall, AMD actually has support for linux.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      ... static ...
      Yup just disregard any fact that he might actually want to use his card.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Yup just disregard any fact that he might actually want to use his card.
        Because its the truth and you know it.

Comment

Because its the truth and you know it.
          That you are making huge sacrifices using FOSS drivers? Yup I know that for a fact.

Comment

That you are making huge sacrifices using FOSS drivers? Yup I know that for a fact.
            Sacrifices? Are you kidding me? Sacrifice is using nvidia blob. Sacrifice using a recent kernel, sacrifice reliability, sacrifice the possibility of working around defects without HOPING that somebody there might actually bother to one day a year or more from now actually deal with it.

There is no sacrifice using the open source driver.

Comment

Sacrifices? Are you kidding me? Sacrifice is using nvidia blob. Sacrifice using a recent kernel, sacrifice reliability, sacrifice the possibility of working around defects without HOPING that somebody there might actually bother to one day a year or more from now actually deal with it.

There is no sacrifice using the open source driver.
              Hah, you sacrifice A LOT using FOSS drivers in terms of performance, features, power consumption, selection of software you can run etc....

Comment

Hah, you sacrifice A LOT using FOSS drivers in terms of performance, features, power consumption, selection of software you can run etc....
                Performance is more than adequate. Features... WAY more features with the open driver. Power consumption? Not interested, but not bad enough to worry about (even my laptop which has an NVIDIA chip runs nouveau -- better to lack ALL power management than deal with that POS blob), selection of software.... what parts of your brain are missing that you would come up with THAT bull?

Comment

Performance is more than adequate.
                  Features... WAY more features with the open driver. Power consumption? Not interested, but not bad enough to worry about (even my laptop which has an NVIDIA chip runs nouveau -- better to lack ALL power management than deal with that POS blob), selection of software.... what parts of your brain are missing that you would come up with THAT bull?
                  Typical FOSS zealot "These are not the droids you are looking for response".

FOSS drivers, no h264 decode acceleration, no gpgpu support, really poor power management, no higher level oGL support. And forget about running anything that requires a greater level of openGL support then what mesa can provide. Hell there is good reason why software blacklists features when FOSS or ATI blobs are found.

Comment

FOSS drivers, no h264 decode acceleration,
                    No, I get that from crystalhd... foss, and ACTUALLY WORKS. Soon, that will be provided via g3d.

no gpgpu support,
                    Redundant.

really poor power management,
                    That's only the case with NVIDIA reverse engineered foss support.

no higher level oGL support. And forget about running anything that requires a greater level of openGL support then what mesa can provide.
                    Redundant. There is no software that requires it.

Hell there is good reason why software blacklists features when FOSS or ATI blobs are found.
                    If you're referring to firefox... 1) doesn't require it. 2) firefox is NOT YET COMPLETE in this regard -- its FIREFOX that is the problem, not the drivers.
                    Last edited by droidhacker; 13 June 2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

No, I get that from crystalhd... foss, and ACTUALLY WORKS. Soon, that will be provided via g3d.
                      So you can't do it on the FOSS card is what you are saying. g3d, oh ya, they are going support the API that nvidia put out.

Redundant.
                      "These are not the droids you are looking for"

That's only the case with NVIDIA reverse engineered foss support.
                      LMFAO, go ahead and bench Catalyst vs FOSS (never mind the superior nvidia blobs)

Redundant. There is no software that requires it.
                      "These are not the droids you are looking for"

BS, there are many extensions that could be used, also do you think something like the upcoming Rage is going to run on FOSS drivers? Heck just read the forums and look at all the fun people had trying to get simple stuff like Humble Bundle stuff going on FOSS drivers.

If you're referring to firefox... 1) doesn't require it. 2) firefox is NOT YET COMPLETE in this regard -- its FIREFOX that is the problem, not the drivers.
                      Don't forget KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X