Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
    This is true that a tool should be created to tweak the xorg/mesa options for stability/performance/visual fidelity. Just like amd's control center and nVidia's nvidia-settings
    Linux needs A LOT of such tools yet for hardware specific tweaking. Sound / TV Cards / specialty cards / motherboard features (even things like nTune/Overdrive) are items that immediately pop to mind.

Comment

You claim that only OpenGL 3.2 is supported on the front page (which is likely what the box has printed on it for this part, because nobody markets OpenGL effectively) but this part clearly supports OpenGL 4.1 with any moderately recent Catalyst driver version. Heck, one of your screenshots later on even shows that.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        You claim that only OpenGL 3.2 is supported on the front page but this part clearly supports OpenGL 4.1 with any moderately recent Catalyst driver version.
        That also struck me as odd, since Phoronix main subject is graphics so it's not like Michael doesn't know that.

Originally posted by M?P?F
        This is true that a tool should be created to tweak the xorg/mesa options for stability/performance/visual fidelity. Just like amd's control center and nVidia's nvidia-settings
        It's the first time I saw anyone suggest such a thing. Makes a lot of sense though. There's driconf but it's not as user-friendly as any of those tools.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          That also struck me as odd, since Phoronix main subject is graphics so it's not like Michael doesn't know that.

It's the first time I saw anyone suggest such a thing. Makes a lot of sense though. There's driconf but it's not as user-friendly as any of those tools.
          Well, maybe a phoronix reader would be interested in doing this. It doesn't sound like something hard, it's just that the creator would need to read the news and maybe ask some questions to the devs. Gather and put documentation in a single place could already be a good start

Important settings:
          - wait for vblank: activated by default on radeon (and intel?), deactivated on nouveau
          - page flipping: activated by defaut on nouveau and intel, don't know for radeon
          - color tiling: deactivated by default on radeon. I can't remember if nouveau/intel support is implemented or not
          - surely some more things

Seems like a weekend project to me

Comment

I think the point that there's a claim you're supposed to need to create an xorg.conf file anymore is a good one.

The excuses and replies to this was poor. I agree with deanjo.

I think it is annoying when you spend money on the card and there's no xorg file but to be able to use your graphics card, you need to edit/create an xorg.conf file.

That's not even the problem. I suspect there's a trial and error process of constantly trying different configuration settings until one is found that achieves what one wants or to get optimum settings (or even ones that work).

How many users are content with defaults (i.e. no config file)? Of course, it must be complicated to adapt or address every (new) gpu but the point remains. There shouldn't be a claim you don't need xorg anymore. IMHO.

Comment

Panix, for some reason I get the feel you whine for the sake of whining.

Anyway, how's editing xorg.conf any different from browsing an unintuitive vendor control panel, tweaking one button here and one slider there, trying to get optimal behavior?

Same trial and error, same frustration. And the panels are documented much worse than xorg.conf (SuperDuper AI? Really, what does that do? How about this letter monster here?)

Comment

Working...
              X