Which is better for 3d acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    Tell that to Blender. A native, 3D app that has some issues under ATI's driver.
    Is that still true? I heard of some problems last year, but they might well have been fixed by now. As in my previous post, newer drivers do fix bugs.

If open source drivers are your primary concern then it's pretty easy to recommend AMD but if you're after reliable 3D performance of the highest order then that requires one of the binary bobs and therefore I'd recommend nVidia. At least until the various statements regarding the next AMD blob and it's increased quality have proven to be true.
    And as I said....look at actual situations before making a choice, instead of people simply saying one is better than the other without giving any reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      Is that still true? I heard of some problems last year, but they might well have been fixed by now. As in my previous post, newer drivers do fix bugs.
      Yep. Launched Blender about 3hours ago to check out a .blend file to confirm whether to backup or delete it in the process of a big file cleanup and was met with a display with parts horribly corrupted. It was the same style of corruption that I've usually experienced just before X crashing and being dumped back at a log-in screen. That's with the latest driver.

I can't wait to see what improvements have happened with the new one as it's supposed to have undergone some re-factoring that should provide some fundamental stability improvements.

And as I said....look at actual situations before making a choice, instead of people simply saying one is better than the other without giving any reasons.
      I think your approach is the right one but if one was to take a blind stab at recommending a video card for a Linux machine that is to have fast 3D as one of its primary objectives then the safest default at the moment in my opinion is nVidia. That may change though in just a few days.

/me counts down to the release of the new driver......

Comment

Whens the new AMD/ATI driver out? Any news links you can provide?

Usage: I'm interested in photography and running the odd game or film.

I currently own the 5750. I was thinking of to switching nvidia so I can spend more time in Linux and less in windoze.

Sounds like I need to wait and see what this new AMD/ATI driver brings.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          No you didn't.
          The nvidia blob is unreliable trash from a hostile organization. Let that be well understood.

And isn't it about time for you to go back to your blob OS? What do they call it? Oh right, Winbloze.
          Interesting thing to say to someone who, from what I can tell, has or does contribute to one of the more important open source distributions out there.

Don't mislead people due to your fanaticism over open source. Whichever route you take with the AMD drivers, binary or OS, you'll get a lesser experience than what you will with an nvidia card. Nvidia is still the only choice for someone who is serious about having a productive linux desktop.

Comment

I've been using linux almost exclusively for ten years now (thirteen all together). Before I made the switch, I was an ATi fan (rage 128->Radeon DDR). Once I switched over my gfx cards weren't good for anything but basic 2d, whereas 3dfx and nvidia had working 3d acceleration way back then. Since I usually have at least two desktops in my household I eventually went over to the dark-side and ran nvidia in one/ATi in the other for a bit. There was definitely no comparison back then.

Slowly I've transitioned over to a 100% nvidia lineup in my machines. The last time I tried an ATi card in linux it was a radeon x1650 pro, so it has been a while. That card had atrocious support from the official drivers and probably 50% of what I needed it to do on a daily basis it couldn't do, or it would lock up trying. From what I've seen of people on these forums, on appdb.winehq.org, and on the mythtv mailing list, ATi still doesn't have stellar drivers and still fails in pretty basic areas. On the other hand, the nvidia drivers _just work_, and work well. Lord knows there are already more silly little problems encountered when running linux daily than what most PC users have to deal with, not having to deal with video card issues is a big plus in my book.

I had pretty decent luck running ATi hardware on the open source drivers in 2d. They weren't fast enough or feature-rich enough to do anything serious in 3d. The only way I could recommend ATi to someone is if they're an open source zealot who doesn't care about 3d acceleration. In those cases I'd say just get an older, better supported under the open driver, Radeon, maybe from the 2x00 series.

Comment

Originally posted by Conqueror View Post
              Whens the new AMD/ATI driver out? Any news links you can provide?
              Might be worth keeping an eye on http://twitter.com/catalystmaker
              but maybe Jan 26th.

Originally posted by Conqueror View Post
              Usage: I'm interested in photography and running the odd game or film.

I currently own the 5750. I was thinking of to switching nvidia so I can spend more time in Linux and less in windoze.

Sounds like I need to wait and see what this new AMD/ATI driver brings.

thanks
              I'd certainly be waiting for reports back from users once the new AMD driver's are released. For those that can't possibly wait, then for them, nVidia is a solid bet.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                On the other hand, the nvidia drivers _just work_, and work well.
                For some values of "well".

I switched my workstation from Nvidia to Ati a couple of weeks ago and I'm much happier now. Nvidia drivers simply didn't support my multi-monitor setup - no 3d acceleration, no 2d acceleration, no compiz. Great!

Guess what, the driver situation is quite different now than in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  For some values of "well".

I switched my workstation from Nvidia to Ati a couple of weeks ago and I'm much happier now. Nvidia drivers simply didn't support my multi-monitor setup - no 3d acceleration, no 2d acceleration, no compiz. Great!

Guess what, the driver situation is quite different now than in 2006.
                  I assume you were using two graphics cards then.

I've never had issues with nVidia cards and multi monitor when two screens were attached to the one card. If that's your requirements then it'd be more than likely there's a specific configuration issue there somewhere with your setup.

If you need more than one card and want a unified desktop across them you need Xinerama no matter which vendor you choose and it doesn't support compositing.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    I assume you were using two graphics cards then.

I've never had issues with nVidia cards and multi monitor when two screens were attached to the one card. If that's your requirements then it'd be more than likely there's a specific configuration issue there somewhere with your setup.

If you need more than one card and want a unified desktop across them you need Xinerama no matter which vendor you choose and it doesn't support compositing.
                    Single card, two monitors, one monitor rotated. Not supported by nvidia. Supported by nouveau, but unstable. Supported perfectly by fglrx and radeon (with hardware acceleration, 3d and compiz).

Comment

Fake edit: additionally, nvidia does not autodetect connected monitors. You need to run nvidia-settings and create your desktop through that. Xrandr is not supported.

No such issue on amd: both fglrx and radeon autodetect and clone monitors as soon as they are plugged in. You can then use either xrandr or amdcccle to setup your desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X