Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105569

So, that is another illustration besides Ubuntu and Fedora. Another distro. Another failure.
    That seems like another example of "you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet" to me. Somebody asked a question and was given bad information in response... end of story. You don't help anyone by spreading that bad information to other forums.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Meanwhile you waste all your time on phoronix forums bashing ati drivers, you should spend sometime reading a little. The main functionality for evergreen was introduced during the last month, you need git drivers, 2.6.36 kernel (or even better drm next kernel).

If you don't know how it works, ask, read... but please don't share your ignorance this way.
      Fair enough. I don't have a card so I accept that critique. But, am I saying something card owners would object to? I haven't read any yet. I only respond based on direct comments from card owners and articles (here or other Linux-based sources).

Comment

When you see someone having more problems than other users are reporting with the same setup, you have a choice. You can either say "ha ha, someone else is getting bad information" and come back here to crow, or you can say "hey look, other users at <forum> are reporting that this stuff works, maybe you need newer drivers or should talk to those other users for help".

One makes things worse, one makes things better. Your call.
        Test signature

Comment

Clearer writing would probably help. Most obvious example, from the first paragraph of the review:

In this article we are reviewing the ATI Radeon HD 5450 "Cedar" graphics card, which is AMD's lowest-end Evergreen GPU but will set you back less than $50 USD.
          The conjunction "but" is intended to introduce something that contradicts an earlier point. Given that this is the lowest end card, the fact that it will cost less than $50 is not a contradiction. This should have used "that" or "and" instead, because the following point reinforces the earlier point, not contradicts it.

An appropriate use of "but" would have been if it said e.g. "but will set you back more than $500" - i.e., if the price was not reasonably matched to its position in the lineup.

When the basic English is so flawed, and various facts and opinions are glued together so poorly, it's easy to get confused about what conclusion or final point is actually being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Fair enough. I don't have a card so I accept that critique. But, am I saying something card owners would object to? I haven't read any yet. I only respond based on direct comments from card owners and articles (here or other Linux-based sources).
            Well, the lack of objection is because your are being in the same way since long long time ago (are you so bored? you can try to find a hobby), so AMD users are "tired" of you comments and don't respond. You can read how r600g/c is working on others threads, but please don't disturb there with your typical comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
              Well, the lack of objection is because your are being in the same way since long long time ago (are you so bored? you can try to find a hobby), so AMD users are "tired" of you comments and don't respond. You can read how r600g/c is working on others threads, but please don't disturb there with your typical comment.
              No, I don't want to do that. I'm going to read the informative posts on how to configure and install in case I get a card. I hope there's some progressions by then.

Hopefully, prices will come down in two weeks. Not sure I'll want a HD 5450, though. I'll look at the 5570 and see how much it is.

Comment

In case you are serious, remember that 5570 gddr5 has much more performance than 5570 ddr2/ddr3.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  ??? i write here on 10.04 ubuntu with the opendriver...

what is your problem ?

and ubuntu10.10 mesa7.9 brings full openGL2.1 support...
                  They say there's no 3D capability and hardware acceleration doesn't work properly.

Maybe you could try Google Earth with your card? I have no idea what works or not...just going on hearsay and I was scolded for it already so...

Comment

Software rasterizer?

Comment

I own a laptop with mobility hd 5470 since february. Having evergreen card sucks, royally. Sometimes I think I am dumb sticking to ubuntu on the machine instead going for windows.
                      I use my laptop mostly for coding, but I am very often using Blender, where I need hardware acceleration and I like to play Spring engine based games.
                      When I bought the machine, there was no driver that would (officially) support the driver, so I had funky "hardware not supported" watermark on my screen, though hardware acceleration was working fine. Then someone came out with a patch removing the watermark.
                      In 10.4 drivers, iirc, support for my chipset was finally added, but 2 moths later came the 10.6 version, which made the only game I actually play unplayable (actually both under windows and linux, keep up the good work AMD).
                      So to those talking bout progress in fglrx drivers - it is an amazing progress, from drivers not supporting hardware released to not working drivers.
                      Of course there was also fun stuff. Like not knowing if system would wake up properly from sleep state. Funky red artifacts on display.
                      When I compare my experiences to those of my friend's, who owns a laptop with gt240 card it makes me want to cry.
                      Buying a laptop with an ATI card was like shooting myself in a foot, before jumping into a tank full of saltwater... and hungry great white sharks.
                      After so joyful experiences I will definitely never again buy an AMD card. I would also advise against it to anyone, who wants to run linux or opengl applications on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X