ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linfidel View Post
    What's wrong with low power? Or do you own stock in the electric company?

Personally, I like the card I got - there's no fan, so it's quiet. Who wants to go deaf from all the loud fans on multiple computers? It cost me $35 - $40 after a rebate, has plenty of horsepower for what I need - running Compiz with Ubuntu.

After reinstalling Ubuntu, it works well now. May have been the installation, or may have been the fact that I switched from 64-bit to 32-bit, but everything works fine now.

People who make flat statements about how much power everyone needs without qualifying the application obviously don't understand value.
    Exactly. I bought two of these cards because they are low powered. Being a non-powerful card also means that they literally use much less electrical power. In fact, I spent a little extra to get the PowerColor GoGreen version of the HD5450, which uses even less power than the normal version, mainly due to PowerColor replacing the voltage regulators with better ones. They accelerate Compiz on Ubuntu just fine, which is all I want. The CPUs on these PC's are going to be using enough power as it is, crunching almost 24/7 on BOINC projects and Folding@home.

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
      Exactly. I bought two of these cards because they are low powered. Being a non-powerful card also means that they literally use much less electrical power. In fact, I spent a little extra to get the PowerColor GoGreen version of the HD5450, which uses even less power than the normal version, mainly due to PowerColor replacing the voltage regulators with better ones. They accelerate Compiz on Ubuntu just fine, which is all I want. The CPUs on these PC's are going to be using enough power as it is, crunching almost 24/7 on BOINC projects and Folding@home.
      I will just guess but I suspect he doesn't mean electricity or wattage...

The Radeon 5450 is not a powerful card... integrated cards (Intel HD 3000 for e.g.) are outperforming it now.

AMD is also re-badging their cards now like Nvidia so it's easy to be a bit disappointed (putting it mildly) in video cards nowadays (both Nvidia and ATI/AMD are doing this).

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
        Haven't seen the PowerColor versions. I got an Asus version because it 1) had no fan, and 2) was cheap even without the $15 rebate.

Some people don't get the idea about computers being versatile - they seem to think everyone does the same thing they do, so if something doesn't suit them, it's simply no good for anyone. As some of us know, there are countless ways to do useful work with a computer that do no require high-powered, high-priced graphics cards.

Comment

A couple of questions:
          Has AMD/ATI stopped supporting this model?
          The last driver I see is from 2010.

What model series should I choose in ATI driver site?

Radeon HD 5450 support GPU acceleration currently in GNU/Linux?

Really, Do you recommend to me a ATI for GNU/Linux, or better a Nvidia with similar characteristics (g210, gt220)?
          Sorry for my English.

Comment

A couple of questions:

Really, Do you recommend to me a ATI for GNU/Linux, or better a Nvidia with similar characteristics (g210, gt220)?
            Sorry for my English.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
              A couple of questions:

Sorry for my English.
              I'm always wondering if AMD will support their cards.

I would recommend you pick a budget and then get a corresponding card. That's what I'll do.

The HD 5450 is pretty cheap but it's a HTPC card and there's comparable, newer cards that might be of interest to you.

The latest official driver is here, I believe:

Catalyst Rev. 12.3 aka fglrx 8.95

If you go with AMD/ATI, at the very least, you will have confusion.

Comment

AMD rebranded the HD5450 as HD7350 and is selling to OEMs still. The most recent fglrx supports everything from HD2400 and up.

Comment

Ok, thanks.
                  But before buy the Radeon HD 5450 I need you to tell me if currently on GNU/Linux 5450 supports GPU video acceleration with the proprietary drivers and/or OpenSource driver through VDPAU.
                  Thank you.

Comment

It does not work with 12-3, it works with 8.96 beta, but not vdpau - it is called xvba and works best with the FernetMenta branch of xbmc (the xvba branch is outdated now). it does not support h264 l5.1, i would definitely NOT buy the card if you want it for video accelleration. if somebody has got ati cards already this branch is the best to use for video acc but even intel oss has got better vaapi support (for standard xbmc or vlc).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      It does not work with 12-3, it works with 8.96 beta, but not vdpau - it is called xvba and works best with the FernetMenta branch of xbmc (the xvba branch is outdated now). it does not support h264 l5.1, i would definitely NOT buy the card if you want it for video accelleration. if somebody has got ati cards already this branch is the best to use for video acc but even intel oss has got better vaapi support (for standard xbmc or vlc).
                      Thank you.
                      I have no intention to start a flame in this thread of ATI. But my budget is only enough for the ATI 5450 or Nvidia GT220. Do you recommend me the GT220 instead of the ATI 5450 for GNU/Linux?

Comment

Working...
                      X