ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by faceless View Post
    Sometimes I think I am dumb sticking to ubuntu on the machine instead going for windows.
    Have you tried other distros? Most complaints seem to come from ubuntu users. I have openSUSE 11.2 and never had a problem with fglrx. Also it seems that laptops tend to be more problematic than desktop systems.

In 10.4 drivers, iirc, support for my chipset was finally added, but 2 moths later came the 10.6 version, which made the only game I actually play unplayable (actually both under windows and linux, keep up the good work AMD).
    This seems easy enough to solve. Stick with the version that works.

When I compare my experiences to those of my friend's, who owns a laptop with gt240 card it makes me want to cry.
    Only if those don't have Optimus since it will probably never be supported in linux as far as nvidia is concerned.

After so joyful experiences I will definitely never again buy an AMD card. I would also advise against it to anyone, who wants to run linux or opengl applications on it.
    Then your only option is using intel graphics since most, if not all, future nvidia equipped laptops will use optimus. In case you don't know intel linux driver is very bad in terms of performance. There is, however, the chance that all those problems are caused by a bad implementation by the laptop manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It seems every other day people switch from calling me pro-NVIDIA or pro-ATI
      Sounds like you've forgotten to be pro-Intel

The Intel graphics fanboys are going to livid about this

Comment

If I can just barge right in here...

Hello, all,
        Just joined phoronix - seems like a lot of knowledgeable people here, and I'm having a problem with my HD5450 that is beginning to drive me crazy, so maybe someone can give me hints on where to look.

I'm running Ubuntu Lucid 64-bit for my Desktop system - I have no problem upgrading to 10.10 if it will help, but I kind of like the idea of using the long term release. I mainly use it for web development, and web browsing, no games fancier than minesweeper or Freecell. I do like Compiz, for a couple of features, and I have two 19" LCDs. This all works very well, and the only complaint is the login prompt comes up on the wrong monitor, but I can live with that (and could probably fix it if not).

But there is a problem that bugs the hell out of me. Most of the time, right after the grub menu, the text screen gets screwed, so it only displays a single line at the top with colored pixels forming random patterns. The memory-test option causes a reboot, and the virtual terminals all have this same strange mode. I think the VTs are working, as I can see the patterns changing, but can read nothing. I can always get back to the graphics screen with Alt-F7 (or sometimes F8).

If I need to choose the recovery mode, that also does not display correctly.

I'm not sure what drivers are even active at this point. Any help on where to look, or even where not to look, would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by linfidel View Post
          I'm not sure what drivers are even active at this point. Any help on where to look, or even where not to look, would be appreciated.
          The X log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) is a good place to start. You may find that your distro loads multiple drivers but as you get further in you should find that all of the messages come from a single graphics driver and that's the one you are running. The X log contains messages from the userspace X driver.

Another useful thing is to either run glxinfo and look at the first part of the output or run glxinfo | grep render to pick out the line with "renderer" information.

Final thing is to run dmesg, save the output in a file, then you can look at messages from the kernel driver. You get messages from a number of different drivers mixed together but the graphics messages will jump out after a while.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The X log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) is a good place to start. You may find that your distro loads multiple drivers but as you get further in you should find that all of the messages come from a single graphics driver and that's the one you are running. The X log contains messages from the userspace X driver.
            Hmm, I would have thought that this problem would be prior to the X system even being loaded, since it first shows up right after the grub menu. In fact, I changed the boot option to delete "quiet", and even added "--verbose", and I can't read any of the output. Also, the failsafe boot doesn't work. Was I mistaken in my guess?

Another useful thing is to either run glxinfo and look at the first part of the output or run glxinfo | grep render to pick out the line with "renderer" information.
            Only thing I see with "render" is:
            direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set),
            and
            OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
            Not sure what you mean for me to look for here.
            Final thing is to run dmesg, save the output in a file, then you can look at messages from the kernel driver. You get messages from a number of different drivers mixed together but the graphics messages will jump out after a while.
            I don't see much here, although I do see a message asking me to enable IOMMU (aperture memory hole) in my BIOS for something or other; I don't know that it has anything to do with my problem, but I'll do it; it uses 64 MB of my 4 GB, so I think I can spare it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully, I'll get this problem solved one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by linfidel View Post
              Hmm, I would have thought that this problem would be prior to the X system even being loaded, since it first shows up right after the grub menu. In fact, I changed the boot option to delete "quiet", and even added "--verbose", and I can't read any of the output. Also, the failsafe boot doesn't work. Was I mistaken in my guess?
              Yeah, sorry, I didn't write enough. X won't be up at the time the artifacts occur, but your choice of X driver will affect which driver *is* running at bootup - I think.

If you are running the open drivers then kms will have come up (modesetting code in the open source kernel graphics driver) and I *think* you will be running on "fb" devices created by the kms driver. If you are running the proprietary driver then that stack won't be running yet and you'll be running a different fb driver.

I don't know an easy way to tell what driver is running during bootup so I figured it would be easier as a first step to figure out what driver is running after boot and work backwards from there
              Test signature

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I didn't write enough. X won't be up at the time the artifacts occur, but your choice of X driver will affect which driver *is* running at bootup - I think.

If you are running the open drivers then kms will have come up (modesetting code in the open source kernel graphics driver) and I *think* you will be running on "fb" devices created by the kms driver. If you are running the proprietary driver then that stack won't be running yet and you'll be running a different fb driver.

I don't know an easy way to tell what driver is running during bootup so I figured it would be easier as a first step to figure out what driver is running after boot and work backwards from there
                The hardware drivers setup is confusing to me. Originally, I think I chose whatever the system recommended to me, and it worked, although I didn't realize for a while that there were things not working right.

So, using the GUI, I went to the System Menu, Administration, Hardware Drivers, and I disabled the driver there, rebooted, tried the memory test, and it rebooted, tried the recovery mode, got the garbage, hit Ctrl-alt-delete, and then it worked correctly all the way. Lots of text output, all the VTs working.

I went back to the Hardware Drivers, and now I get the confusing part: It says "Proprietary drivers are being used to make this computer work properly"

It lists ATI Fire GL, and has the "Activate" button enabled. next to the button, it says "A different version of this driver is in use".

My other Ubuntu system has an old NVidia card, and it always had only 2 choices - either use or not use the proprietary driver. This system seem to also have 2 choices, but they are use one or another proprietary drivers, and we'll leave it to you to figure out which is which.

Is this normal? Should I go deeper and remove all the ATI drivers? Everything seems to work the same as before, fwiw. I even still have the same Catalyst Control Center.

My motherboard came with ATI onboard, which I disabled. Maybe there are drivers left over from that?

Comment

I have nothing positive to contribute to this thread. Just don't buy a 5450. They are a very low powered card. I purchased one and am very dissapointed with my purchase. It works, it just is a VERY low powered card.

Spend the extra on something with more power.

Comment

Originally posted by spinifex View Post
                    I have nothing ... to contribute to this thread.
                    Fixed for you (and I agree). Thanks for the pointless bump anyway.

Comment

Worthless advice

Originally posted by spinifex View Post
                      I have nothing positive to contribute to this thread. Just don't buy a 5450. They are a very low powered card. I purchased one and am very dissapointed with my purchase. It works, it just is a VERY low powered card.

Spend the extra on something with more power.
                      What's wrong with low power? Or do you own stock in the electric company?

Personally, I like the card I got - there's no fan, so it's quiet. Who wants to go deaf from all the loud fans on multiple computers? It cost me $35 - $40 after a rebate, has plenty of horsepower for what I need - running Compiz with Ubuntu.

After reinstalling Ubuntu, it works well now. May have been the installation, or may have been the fact that I switched from 64-bit to 32-bit, but everything works fine now.

People who make flat statements about how much power everyone needs without qualifying the application obviously don't understand value.

Comment

Working...
                      X