No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fglrx works well enough for a lot of people.

And if it doesn't - you can always use the open source drivers.

Compare that with nvidia. If you have a problem with nvidia's driver, you are screwed. And looking at nvnews - there are many people who are.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

Compare that with nvidia. If you have a problem with nvidia's driver, you are screwed. And looking at nvnews - there are many people who are.
      Open drivers with HD 5450? Seriously? Nice try. Go tell the owners of this card in the Ubuntu forums.

Comment

And a text console could work well enough for a lot of people. In fact for a long time it did.

When there's no option you use what's available.

But when there's better alternatives that offer a better experience then it's only right to make people aware of it.

If ATI cards were the only ones available then people would have to be satisfied with them and their drivers or switch to Windows where ATI's drivers are better.

For those situations where ATI is better by all means push them but the for the use cases that Michael was saying nVidia was a better option I can't see anything wrong with what he said.

You can use the open source driver when they're workable.

They weren't when I got my 5870 and even withthe improvements in them they still don't conver anything.

You can actually be left in a situation where the open drivers don't cover you for what you;re doing and fglrx is buggy where you need it to not be. Then you've got a card that can't be relied on. Not very good really.

Just like with ATI, if there's a driver issue then you're screwed.

For those who wish to paint the availability of official open drivers for ATI cards as some kind of realistic escape route for the brokeness of fglrx then that only holds true for some situations. It depends on your card and software you need to be running. The open drivers aren;t workable for every situation, so what does one do if this is the case for them?

I wish fglrx was bullet proof as it'd make me and my 5870 a lot happier. I can see improvements in it over time and can see a day coming where it'll be every bit as good as nVidia's blob.

Until it is though it's unfair to prospective card purchases to sell them on a card that mightn't be the best choice for their situation.

Whether you or I or the man in the moon likes it or not, sometimes nVidia is the best choice, no matter how open source friendly ATI are.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          They weren't when I got my 5870 and even withthe improvements in them they still don't conver anything.
          They weren't when I got my 5870 and even with the improvements in them they still don't cover everything.

Michael, could you find it in your heart to offer edit facilities to members after a probationary term? It'd be great if you could.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            fglrx is the biggest piece of crap driver ever.
            I don't get these comments about fglrx today based on how it was 3 years ago. It has evolved in the past few years. Probably more than the nvidia driver. If you stick to the supported distros you'll be fine. If you use a repository that supports other distros you'll be fine. If you use patches to make it work with other distros not supported by the previous 2 methods you will also probably be fine (less chance of it working right though). Apparently even the "perfect" nvidia driver doesn't always work as expected as some users reported.
            Also, it's not uncommon in a review to have the reviewer suggest alternatives. I don't feel they are "personal" opinions in the sense of him being blindly defending a brand against another as some users reported. Maybe comparing the HD5450 to the more expensive GT220 is not very accurate, but the point is that for a little more you can get a better card. I also don't think it's up to the reader to decide on what is best based only on pure data analysis. We have people reviewing stuff so that we can know what a real person thinks about the reviewed thing, and we can still draw our own conclusion based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              I don't get these comments about fglrx today based on how it was 3 years ago. It has evolved in the past few years. Probably more than the nvidia driver. If you stick to the supported distros you'll be fine.
              I wish that was the case. I'm using a supported one and am having issues I didn't have to put up with when using nVidia's driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                Michael, could you find it in your heart to offer edit facilities to members after a probationary term? It'd be great if you could.
                I second that! What a wonderful and joyous day that would be We can always dream... and keep reposting to correct our own posts instead of editing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  Open drivers with HD 5450? Seriously? Nice try. Go tell the owners of this card in the Ubuntu forums.
                  I own an ati 4350, in fact those cards are better suited for open source drivers, because the fact that their are crap on 3d by default using OSS is not a disadvantage, and 2D on OSS drivers shines. So you can work, browse and play videos (using cpu) flawlessly, and even using kde 4.5.1 compositing. There are a lot of plp who is not a gamer (could you imagine that? ). And those type of cards are mainly for them.

I played too railrod tycoon 3 and torchligh with this crap of card and OSS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                    There are a lot of plp who is not a gamer (could you imagine that? ). And those type of cards are mainly for them.

I played too railrod tycoon 3 and torchligh with this crap of card and OSS drivers.
                    Yes but he said

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    The open source support for 5000 series cards has lagged 4000 series support.

Comment

now is in place.

Comment

Working...
                      X