New Graphic Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Graphic Card

I'm running Linux Debian Lenny/Sid on an Intel Core 2 6400. 2GB of Corsair DDR2 800mhz.
    ATM i've an Asus EN6800GT/2DT/256 which obviously is a PCI-E 6800GT with 256mb DDR3 Ram with a NV40 Chipset and GPU/Mem running at 350MHz/1000Mhz.

The main reason for me to switch graph card is the ridiculous temperature it reaches (68?C Idle / 100 under load), i'd like to stay in the <300? range... so i've seen 8500/8600 or 7600/7950 cards...

My question is... which GeForce do you suggest me to switch into?

If you're into the GeForce 8500, here is a Linux review from yesterday: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=9640

The GeForce 8600 series is very nice as well, but the GeForce 7950 will be faster than them all.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i've just read the article... and thus i've chosen to post here :P

BTW on the benchmarks there aren't enough informations on temperatures, and performance under wrapper like cedega/wine... so i decided to post

i usually use steam & guildwars under cedega/wine and ut2k4 natively.

I've read some other reviews (windows oriented) that show that 8600 is a joke compared to 7600gt (there are not enought dx10 games atm and especially under linux )

so my choice would be lead by temperature comparison and price.

(atm i'm oriented to the 7950 for ~230?)

Comment

if you are more concerned with temparature and prce than performance then the 8600 gt seems to like a good card for you. Mind you from all the reviews ive seen the performance of this card is disappointing at least on Win. It barely bests the 7600Gt. For price performance id actually suggest a 8800GTS 320MB at that price point. It goes for about 280E here in greece. Itshould be cheaper in most other EU countries

Comment

Originally posted by Dark View Post
          i've just read the article... and thus i've chosen to post here :P

BTW on the benchmarks there aren't enough informations on temperatures, and performance under wrapper like cedega/wine... so i decided to post

i usually use steam & guildwars under cedega/wine and ut2k4 natively.

I've read some other reviews (windows oriented) that show that 8600 is a joke compared to 7600gt (there are not enought dx10 games atm and especially under linux )

so my choice would be lead by temperature comparison and price.

(atm i'm oriented to the 7950 for ~230?)
          The temperature can largely change between GPUs depending upon the heatsink each NVIDIA partner uses. You could have a 7950 that is quieter and cooler than an 8500, or an 8600 that is hotter than a 7950 if it is passive.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

@raven : which brand? i can only find 8800gts at 300?

@michael : mmm interesting haven't tought about that...(except the silent part obviously) i'll read the review twice and think about your reflections.

btw will you do a comparative stress test between native games under win and cedega/wine emulated? even in long term it would be interesting... wine tests are a bit outdated and the last comparison was between enemy territory which is a bit "outdated" as a 3d engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark View Post
              @raven : which brand? i can only find 8800gts at 300?

@michael : mmm interesting haven't tought about that...(except the silent part obviously) i'll read the review twice and think about your reflections.

btw will you do a comparative stress test between native games under win and cedega/wine emulated? even in long term it would be interesting... wine tests are a bit outdated and the last comparison was between enemy territory which is a bit "outdated" as a 3d engine.

It's on the TODO list but will probably be a while before it's out.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

nice to hear that

thanks for the advice

Comment

Dark most any brand can be found below or just at 300 here in greece. On a certain german site i found cards starting at 270E. (www.mindfactory.de) Where are you from?

Comment

Working...
                  X