X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by numasan View Post
    No matter how much I ideologically believe in FLOSS, we'll be lucky if we can reach 70% of the potential of a 5770 in less than 4 years, and at that time a 6890 is outdated (not obsolete, but outperformed). Specs are useless without good drivers.
    Numasan, the 70% estimate came from our architects based on the current size of the open source driver development community and the complexity of the development task. Most of what can be done to simplify the development task (eg transition to Gallium3D, documentation etc..) is being done but the easy way for someone to "break the 70% rule" is to get involved and contribute to the development effort. Doubling the resources won't halve the performance gap (as with so many things, you probably need 10x the resources to get 2x the results) but it would sure make a difference.

Somewhere in the last decade the average users's view of the FOSS ideal has gone from "we can do it" to "why isn't someone else doing it ?". Initial indications suggest that the new model doesn't work so well.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by numasan View Post
    we'll be lucky if we can reach 70% of the potential of a 5770 in less than 4 years
    Even 70%? O_O
    In only 4 years? O_O
    You are too much optimistic!

Leave a comment:

• numasan
    replied
    What does it matter how great the hardware specs are, when the potential is being hold back by the drivers? I still often hear from ATI (yeah, AMD whatever) users with their problems, minor or otherwise, with Catalyst/fglrx drivers, like nothings changed and still totally stigmatised. And what good is UVD for Linux users?

No matter how much I ideologically believe in FLOSS, we'll be lucky if we can reach 70% of the potential of a 5770 in less than 4 years, and at that time a 6890 is outdated (not obsolete, but outperformed).

Specs are useless without good drivers.

Leave a comment:

• FunkyRider
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    in my point of view:

a 6870 will have 800 shader cores its a hd5770 refresh with 265bit memory interface and 205gb/s

a 6770 will have 800 shader cores its a hd5770 refresh with 128bit memory interface and 100gb/s

a 6990 is a single GPU card its the compare to the hd5870 to the beginning there will be no dualgpu card at the 6xxx line.
    So you call me bull shitting and you come up with those joke opinion? Man what are you smoking!

5870 has 1600 SP and 6870, 'In your opinion', will have 800 SP? Not to mention your "265 bit" fucking joke?

You are such an incompetent piece of joke

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    I'm sticking with my HD5970. I will not be making a purchase in the HD6000 series. I will wait for TSMC's next smaller process line, and then re-evaluate the standing of ATI and Nvidia's offerings on that line. I can't bring myself to spend top dollar on something that is just an incremental improvement, offering no new API support and with the same transistor size.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalCowboy
    replied
    The 6770 specs you claim are similar to the 5830, both in speed and power draw (two connectors!)
    I hope the thermals are not that bad. Thermals are important to me.

Leave a comment:

• netkas
    replied
    1280 4d shaders means 320 shader units, same as 5d 5870.
    and 1920 is 480

Leave a comment:

• BlueJayofEvil
    replied
    Fudzilla says the Radeon HD 6000 series may just be an incremental improvement release: Link
    If this is true, the open-source driver may be a bit quicker to appear this time around.

Electronista hints at a November release date.
    Time will tell if these rumors are true or not.

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    oh, my biggest worry is that my shiny HD5770 is obsoleted before there's usable OSS support. You'll want me to keep worrying
    (I won't upgrade soon, anyway. My card serves me well and jumping to next-gen will only delay the ETA for OSS drivers.)

The thing is, I knew pretty much everything about the 5770 before it was launched, including the date when you'd reveal what everyone knew already. Of course the lack of information now is not due to a change in PR, but rather a successful game of whack-a-mole. Sure, it's preferable to announcing specs for a <200W GPU in september and delivering a >>250W GPU in april.
    Still feels.. odd. Hunting down the small bits of information and piecing them together was kinda fun

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Of course, noone wants to answer them. AMDs silence may be a bad sign. On the other hand, their GPUs are currently winning, and they wouldn't kill their evergreen margins if they didn't have some substantial improvements.
    Nothing to worry about - we didn't talk about the previous generations of GPUs before launch either.

Even the Fusion APU information released so far has been pretty much CPU only (other than the fact that the Fusion APUs have DX11 graphics), and there's usually a thumb over the GPU portion of the die shots

Leave a comment:

Working...
X