Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    amd makes clear with the 6870 thats nvidia won in the past i tell you why:

nvidia uses 4D shaders back in the geforce 8800 no one uses the 5D shader of the hd2900-5870 series in software so all software was optimated for nvidia 4D shaders now amd give up the fight and cut of the 5D shaders to nvidia like 4D shaders.
    I was under the impression that the other guys used scalar processors (aka "1D"), not 4-wide or 5-wide VLIW ("4D" / "5D").
    Test signature

Comment

Full photo gallery of HD68X0-graphics cards: http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/salassap...6870#kommentit

From Finnish HW-website AMD will release new HD6850-cards on Friday!

ps. Sry bad english

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        back in 1998 amd ad SIMD 3dnow unit... intel don't get the 3dnow no they do there own SIMD unit called SSE and go on the market 1 year later
        3dnow is an ISA extension, not a new functional unit. SSE was a new ISA and was implemented with a new functional unit. Anyway, same story again with SSE5/AVX. AMD invented the REX prefix, why didn't they think about a more sensible prefix, as AVX's VEX prefix? AVX is good for x86 but a vast copy of VMX or VSX.

now amd drop 3dnow and payes money to inte for SSE
        I wouldn't be surprised if the other way around happens too.

same on the GPU market the r600 architecture was 5D awesome and nvidia shot the market down with an crappy 1D architecture.
        I am not sure the NVIDIA architecture is fully scalar. Some recent patents mention SIMD. Anyway, nobody can really be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
          I am not sure the NVIDIA architecture is fully scalar. Some recent patents mention SIMD. Anyway, nobody can really be sure.
          Yeah, the distinction here is between SIMD/scalar and SIMD/vector or SIMD/VLIW. Most GPUs process multiple pixels or vertices in parallel (SIMD), but some work on a single component of each pixel/vertex per instruction (scalar) while others work on >1 component per instruction (typically 4-vector or VLIW).
          Test signature

Comment

OK, I saw the press release go out so I *guess* we've officially launched...

The 6850/6870 *are* 5-wide VLIW just like the previous generations. Not a fake AFAIK.

Oh good, the first review is up : http://www.hexus.net/content/item.ph...=27053&page=18
            Test signature

Comment

That review does not really look impressive, i would say the numbering is wrong, maybe 6770 instead of 6870 would be better...

Comment

I guess it depends on what the numbers are supposed to mean. Some people think *8** means "our fastest single chip board" in which case I agree *7** could have been more appropriate. Other people think *8** implies a certain market segment or performance level, in which case the numbering is correct but we are now providing a significantly lower price point than before.

What the heck, it gives people something to argue about
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  That review does not really look impressive, i would say the numbering is wrong, maybe 6770 instead of 6870 would be better...
                  To me, it begins to look impressive if you look at transistor counts - die size - power consuption - final price. http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=27053&page=4 , it seems that AMD is making big money!! with less production costs ATI 6850 is achieving a little more performance than an nvidia 460.

Comment

And the chip is mainly the same. They are exploding a good product , something equivalent to what blizzard is doing with WOW, or nvidia have done with their previous G92 chips.

Comment

no,no you didn't get my point at all, I am impressed guessing that AMD is making a lot of money, I am not really impressed if current 6850, 6870 performs much better or is more cheap to the final user.

I am guessing that developing costs are very low due to the fact that HD6000 chip is nearly an evergreen chip. Plus the die size is smaller, this implies that productions cost is reduced.

HD6870 has 255mm2 die size and AMD are selling at the same price of an GTX 470 which has a die size of 529mm2.

AMD is winning in production costs, so they can reduce prices if nvidia tries to sell cheap fermis. AMD is winning on performance too, the chip is more efficient so has room to use more watts, AMD HD6000 top class cards will outperform fermis top class cards.

AMD is playing with nvidia, setting their cards to be only a little more performance / $ vs nvidia cards (they clearly seem to have room for more), and nvidia cannot play, it is owned, their die size and power consuption is at max.

Comment

Working...
                      X