Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From HD4850 to GTX 460

Hello,

I just upgraded my HD4850 to a Nvidia GTX 460. The GTX 460 is of course a faster, newer generation card. It performs much better, games that I couldn't run at full 1920x1080 with high settings (GTA4 for example) run very smoothly now.

The only nuisance that I have about this card is the noise, which is about the same as my old HD4850. I would have preferred a less noisy card, but the noise is not overly disturbing or anything like that. The card I got is the Galaxy GTX 460 GC Version that comes factory overclocked to 700Mhz Core / 3.7 Ghz Mem. Due to the overclock, power consumption and temperature are a little bit higher than the stock/reference design versions.

So far the linux desktop experience has been beautiful. Videos do not tear, desktop effects run smoothly, 2D accel is also smooth. Overall a much more seamless, better performing, and bug-free experience than Catalyst or the xf86-video-ati-git drivers with the HD4850.

On top of that if I would have gone the AMD way and gotten the HD5850 instead I would have had to deal with couple issues: Open source support for this card is not there yet, so I couldn't be able to do use Xv/Mesa. Also, the Catalyst drivers have always been buggy to say the least, so I would have to deal with tearing in movies, disabling desktop effects in a lot of cases, and under-performing 2D acceleration, etc.

My take is that in the future, AMD's Catalyst and Open Source solutions will catch up to Nvidia's proprietary drivers. But for now, Nvidia has the advantage and all the perks, the desktop experience is much more natural.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    do you play gta4 on linux ?

in my point of view gta4 do not work on linux: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=34390

or you just feil on writing in an Linux Forum?
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Qaridarium.sh
    # GPLv3A! I dunno the details but its cool!

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/forum

Comment

lol. So very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        do you play gta4 on linux ?

in my point of view gta4 do not work on linux: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=34390

or you just feil on writing in an Linux Forum?
        I do not play AAA title games games in Linux, unless they have a native client or run extremely well under Wine. I did get the Indie Bundle, and played World of Goo.

I used Wine/Cedega back in 2004-2007. My desktop was Linux-only back then. Since then, I have come to realize that it is a waste of my hardware and money to settle down for low graphic settings and decreased performance just to run a game under Linux. It was a cool thing to do back then, but now a days I just want to enjoy the gameplay. Hence I have Windows 7 for gaming.

Q, I did not play it, but it used to run: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=16638

We are in the hardware area of the forums, and I am writing about the experience of running the card under Linux as well. You just wish it was AMD hardware instead of nVidia.

Comment

Galaxy == utter garbage.

The reference nvidia cooler for GTX460 is very silent yet does the cooling well if you don't heavily OC it.

The Galaxy cooler, very noisy and higher temperature. You bought the right card, just the wrong brand.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            Galaxy == utter garbage.

The reference nvidia cooler for GTX460 is very silent yet does the cooling well if you don't heavily OC it.

The Galaxy cooler, very noisy and higher temperature. You bought the right card, just the wrong brand.
            You are right. But for $200 right after the release it wasn't a bad deal. So far, even with the noise and temps, I am satisfied.

Comment

Working...
            X