Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia likely to remain accelerated video king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first guess is that 99.9% of the testing stopped at 1080p, but I'll see if I can get a "from the horse's mouth" answer. FWIW 88% GPU load isn't a big deal when you are playing 3D games (100% is kinda the norm) but 88% is pretty high when trying to reproduce variable rate video on a fixed rate screen.

Also note that GPU usage is for the shaders, not the UVD. My guess is that UVD usage at 1080p is *much* higher than 22%.
    Test signature

Comment

• xvba was tested? That must be a bad joke. ATI dx11 cards (hd 5 series) can not decode anything correctly. Also why do you think does vlc NOT work with dxva2 (on WIN!)? Because every ati binary dev tests video accelleration, right? When ATI is not even able to provide a working video accelleration for the OS that >90% of all users use then it is extra poor. Nv is certainly the better choice for htpc.

Comment

• I doubt that vlc is tested on Windows, although I don't know for sure.

Initial feedback from the devs is that Evergreen XvBA is tested on every release and is working, but that the testing is done against the native XvBA interface rather than with gbeauche's VA-API interface. That obviously leaves a few potential points where something could go wrong.

Not sure what you mean by "every ati binary dev tests video acceleration" - devs are divided into teams, some work on video, others on 3D, others on base driver, and they normally test their own areas not the entire stack. I imagine there was sarcasm intended but not sure how to interpret it.
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          My first guess is that 99.9% of the testing stopped at 1080p, but I'll see if I can get a "from the horse's mouth" answer. FWIW 88% GPU load isn't a big deal when you are playing 3D games (100% is kinda the norm) but 88% is pretty high when trying to reproduce variable rate video on a fixed rate screen.

Also note that GPU usage is for the shaders, not the UVD. My guess is that UVD usage at 1080p is *much* higher than 22%.
          I kind of guessed the UVD usage would be much higher, I just wished there was a way to see the usage percent of it. So, what is the UVD capable of decoding?

Comment

• I'm not sure of the exact status of dual-stream (whether it's 2 HD or HD + SD) on each GPU generation but I'm real sure the UVD doesn't have enough throughput for 4x HD.
            Test signature

Comment

• @bridgman

Then tell the "team" that my redwood (5670) certainly does NOT work. Just got it today. It can show tesselation with opengl (a bit slow but you see the idea) but for video is it pure crap. Also which app is out there that can use xvba directly? Share the url with us.

Comment

• I don't think any of the native XvBA apps are publicly available.

Right now the only way to use XvBA on a general purpose PC is via VA-API and it appears that path isn't working on Evergreen today. The first step was to find out what our understanding was of XvBA/Evergreen support and that's where we are right now.
                Test signature

Comment

I doubt that vlc is tested on Windows, although I don't know for sure.
                  The note specifially says "on windows"
                  NB: so far, on Windows for GPU decoding, VideoLAN is recommending nVidia? GPU, until ATI? drivers are working with VLC architecture, and until the VLC developers get access to some Intel? hardware supporting GPU decoding.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    The note specifially says "on windows"
                    So did my response
                    Test signature

Comment

Initial feedback from the devs is that Evergreen XvBA is tested on every release and is working, but that the testing is done against the native XvBA interface rather than with gbeauche's VA-API interface. That obviously leaves a few potential points where something could go wrong.
                      No, only PCOM output works, the OpenGL path is broken in XvBA core. I have already provided native XvBA applications showing off that. i.e. totally independent from VA-API. Besides, the bug is very similar to what initially happened on M96, fixed since. So, someone probably forgot to update the code similarly when Evergreen came in.

Hint: check the function that copies the surface to OpenGL texture, you know its name.

I don't know if an EPR was produced because someone decided that Evergreen is not supported, and won't be.

Comment

Working...
                      X