Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia likely to remain accelerated video king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh, good point - I didn't ask which back-end was being used for internal testing. Thanks !

I'll submit the EPR myself if there isn't one in the system already
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      xvba was tested? That must be a bad joke. ATI dx11 cards (hd 5 series) can not decode anything correctly. Also why do you think does vlc NOT work with dxva2 (on WIN!)? Because every ati binary dev tests video accelleration, right? When ATI is not even able to provide a working video accelleration for the OS that >90% of all users use then it is extra poor. Nv is certainly the better choice for htpc.
      Just to be clear: DXVA2 works in Windows, but not in the way VLC people require it. In particular, they want to retrieve the decoded pixels back from the GPU akin to Adobe Flash Player. However, this operation is terribly slow in Windows. The funny part is that operation is optimal on the Linux side and working much better than on Windows.

Adobe people are using a trick. This trick is not shared to the Open Source community yet(?).

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
        Just to be clear: DXVA2 works in Windows, but not in the way VLC people require it. [..]
        That's an interesting insight. Did someone tell the VLC people?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          More lies. Prove me wrong or shut up. Right now Hans Reiser has more credibility then you. Your statement has no more credibility then if someone was to say in January you were molesting a farm animal. Sure you could deny it but we would all just say it's just another lie from you to cover up.
          Deanjo. I love ya man but you are going to lose this one.
          Apple is neck deep in repo 105, fraud accounting and will be bill padding and account stuffing before the year is out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
            Deanjo. I love ya man but you are going to lose this one.
            Apple is neck deep in repo 105, fraud accounting and will be bill padding and account stuffing before the year is out.
            I very much doubt that I will loose this one. The burden of proof is on the accuser. He said they pay 1 million dollars for every minute they do not release a linux client. I'm calling him out. Prove it. Hell prove any payout even exists.

Comment

• I might also add Hephasteus that the increase in Q1 did not come from Apple accounting fraud but changes made in GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                call Steve Jobs and ask for his sins.
                Can't prove it eh? Figures, most bullshitters can't.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Can't prove it eh? Figures, most bullshitters can't.
                  Not to further this much further - but Q isn't always wrong. Doesn't mean he's right this time, but I don't actually have a hard time thinking that apple might have paid some money to get steam & the source engine development started for the mac. And probably figured out some way to get continued money out of it in the long run.
                  This is apple we're talking about here don't forget.

...and if you want something that Q has been (mostly) right about, the 10.6 fglrx driver is a good example.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    Not to further this much further - but Q isn't always wrong. Doesn't mean he's right this time, but I don't actually have a hard time thinking that apple might have paid some money to get steam & the source engine development started for the mac. And probably figured out some way to get continued money out of it in the long run.
                    This is apple we're talking about here don't forget.
                    OK mirv let me point a few things out. Jobs first of all is no fan of gaming on the mac, that has been known for a long time.

Secondly, Q isn't saying Apple paid for development of the Mac ports, he is saying that they are paying Valve to prevent releasing of a linux client. That would mean at his claimed rate Apple would have shelled out 62 billion dollars since the Mac client release. I don't care how good of an accountant you are. Your not going to hide 62 billion dollars of expenditures in a public traded company. (That would also have exceeded Apples cash reserves by 22 billion.

Third Apple paying for Steam makes absolutely no sense when they have a in house solution that can do everything that Steam does with iTunes. iTunes can easily do everything that Steam does if Apple wished for it to do so with a greater ROI.

What Q is feeding is pure bullshit.

Comment

• @bridgman,
                      Oke, you're not so silent on this XvBA subject as i thought.. It's not like i read all topics here on phoronix :P

@gbeauche
                      Interesting stuff.. I wonder, what are you? You seem to be knowing a lot about UVD but i thought it was closed to ATI only.. so do you work for ATI or something? Did you somehow get the UVD specs?

to you 2 both. Here we have a "UVD implementer" and an "ATI fellow". gbeauche complainx about XvBA bugs and bridgman says it's all working and tested on evergreen. Yet here i am as a "normal" linux user with an evergreen card and UVD through whatever on linux isn't working. Can't you to meet somewhere, fix the flaws and make it finally just work?

Another question. I haven't tested this yet but are the current XvBA VA-API UVS stuff working with the opensource ATI radeon driver (same question for both 4xxx and 5xxx cards)??

Comment

Working...
                      X