Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    emm.. no.

There are enough current games where the480 is not faster - there are even cases where it is beaten by a 5850 - or 5770.

Oh - and 112W (just the card, not the whole system!) when watching bluray.

The 480 only can shine when you turn up AA and AF - and then you have to deal with a monstrum that can gobble up up to 317 W - which is forbidden if you are following PCIE and ATX specs - while producing 9 sone noise.

it is even beaten by the 295 in many tests...
    or look at these numbers:

Looks like Nividia created a Dustbuster - again.

Oh, and it will cost 499$.
    Talk about failure...
    Just finished reading Anandtech's review and it's even more dissapointing than I expected. Nvidia does have a performance lead more often than not, but there are games where 58x0 handily beats 4x0 (e.g. Battlefield 2, L4D, Dirt 2). Power consumption is off the charts, too: 479W/64.1db for a single 480 and 851W/70.2db for SLI. This redefines what "dustblower" means! The former is roughly 4x louder than Ati's 5870 and the latter is ~8x louder than 5870 in crossfire!

The only positive is that the price of the 480 is almost reasonable for its performance: about 10-15% higher than 5870 here (I can find the 5870 for 335€ here or $445). That said, all Ati needs to do is reduce prices a tiny bit and release a 5890 and turn the 480 into a solid no-buy.

Comment

Included in the package, a pocket nuclear reactor to power it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well the dual fermi cards should be bundled with a 1000w psu
        True, ~850W power consumption is just sick

Comment

I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. But wtf your problem people ?
          The cards are out, generally, both 480 and 470 performance is better than competition. Fermi architecture is "revolutionary" instead of competitions "evolutionary".
          It does consume more power. But we have to see what will MIMD bring to non HPC users.
          About openness ...
          There is a difference between Adobe and Nvidia.
          Second is doing excellent job to make things working.
          So, I'm happy that it's out. It is most advanced graphics chip ever made.
          It seems to be what Intel tried to create (Larrabee) without success so far. Of course basic cores are not x86 and it is good.
          Nvidia has time and resources to refine this architecture. Make smaller parts with higher clocks. Or change things inside the chip.
          Do you remember G80 and the following G92 ?
          Fermi is G80. The difference is that competition is much better prepared today.

Comment

With Thermi finally out, global warming should accelerate by about 200%.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
              That it's late, cut down from original specs, burns way too much power for a marginal performance lead, is obviously factory-overclocked/overvolted to achieve that marginal lead, and still can't actually be bought?

I think Fermi's architecture actually looks quite cool, but since it's going to be wrapped up in OpenCL/GLSL/HLSL, I'm not going to actually get to interact with it anyway, so I have no desire to buy it for the sake of having a cool architecture to play with. I could play with OpenCL/GLSL/HLSL much cheaper on a 5770.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
                [power consumption]
                he's probably saving that info for when he gets his hands on one to test for himself.
                so he's saving any info about power consumption until he can confirm it himself, but isn't shy to boast about the 480 being faster, even talking about possible heaven performance, which he clearly hasn't tested? Doesn't add up.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

The 480 only can shine when you turn up AA and AF - and then you have to deal with a monstrum that can gobble up up to 317 W - which is forbidden if you are following PCIE and ATX specs - while producing 9 sone noise.
                  lol, 256 watts max. @ full crunching. Amazing how you can forget Charlies "from reliable sources". Just go back and read his failure of "out of his ass" predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    lol, 256 watts max. @ full crunching.
                    I'm not sure that adds up, but the math is fuzzy since the only numbers I've seen are system power measurements. The best analysis I could figure out came up with 289W under load for the GTX480, but that's missing enough information (particularly a PSU efficiency factor for idle power) that the error could be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                      The cards are out, generally, both 480 and 470 performance is better than competition. Fermi architecture is "revolutionary" instead of competitions "evolutionary".
                      It does consume more power. [stuff]
                      You had a point until you mentioned the word revolutionary. Now you sound like yet another misguided fanboy drinking Nvidia's "revolution" koolaid. If all this "revolution" amounts to is an underperforming, overheating, power guzzling dustblower, then I'll take evolution every time, thank you.

This is the first 100% disappointing Nvidia launch in years (last one being the FX series) and no amount of spinning can change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X