ati 5770 or still a nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some thoughts:

I have 2xHD4770, with the Catalyst I never really had problems (experience of about 6 month ago). For testing I installed WoW and played a little without problems.(I am playing for 4 years every now and then, my Rouge is level 24 )
    Red Alert 3 works fine as well.

Catalyst still doesn't work with xorg-server-1.7 which might cause problems.

With open source radeon driver, I cannot play anything (~10 fps) but desktop is ok. Currently the guys seem to try to get the old cards working before they support any of the r7xx properly or even crossfire.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter, if you use the binary from AMD or Nvidia as end user. But with AMD you might get an open source driver in the future

Comment

Here is the Phoronix test on ATI HD4800 with crossfire:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
        Just some thoughts:

I have 2xHD4770, with the Catalyst I never really had problems (experience of about 6 month ago). For testing I installed WoW and played a little without problems.(I am playing for 4 years every now and then, my Rouge is level 24 )
        Red Alert 3 works fine as well.

Catalyst still doesn't work with xorg-server-1.7 which might cause problems.

With open source radeon driver, I cannot play anything (~10 fps) but desktop is ok. Currently the guys seem to try to get the old cards working before they support any of the r7xx properly or even crossfire.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter, if you use the binary from AMD or Nvidia as end user. But with AMD you might get an open source driver in the future
        Ya the open source really would be nice .
        But I also wanna upgrade to kubuntu 10.4 and that one uses xorg 1,7 .
        I think I'm going to wait for a while .
        I'm thinking about getting the phenom x6 when it code out so then I'm going to buy a new pc .
        Maby ad that time drives are out and I can look if it works good .
        But its really confusing ad one side you here no problems but other side you here stick with nvidia ati dus not work

Comment

Originally posted by kamelot View Post
          He all .
          I have a question : I'm looking for a new grafic card .
          I hear a lot about the 5770 from ATI .
          But sinds I'm running kubuntu 9,10 and want to upgrade to 10.4 by the end of the month .
          I wanna ask if this card is any good for kubuntu.
          Also I play world of warcraft it must be compatible with that .
          So what to do ati or nvidia .
          Well.
          I like AMD (obviously) but I'll try to be objective.

ATI-AMD

pro:
          actively supporting the free drivers
          better hardware design, lower power consumption
          works fine for me

contra/things to consider:
          fglrx works, but is often late to support recent Kernels/xorgs
          free drivers are fine for R100-R500 Chips, R600+ is in making and progressing fairly well, R800 is still in the beginning (so here better stick with fglrx)

Nvidia

pro:
          has a working binary driver (I've also seen bad releases in past times but genereally people say it works okay)

contra/things to consider:
          nvidia is epic fail for me esp. seeing the latest developments:
          no support for free drivers (they just kicked the halfway working nv)
          esp. their recent cards have a horrible power consumption (thermal desaster)
          had released a series of faulty chips (okay, that can happen), but selling them for years being conscious of the very problem.
          Nvidia cheats customers by selling old HW with new labels, puts empty black boxes on exhibitions pretending it would be a new Fermi card and so on. No, thanks.

In terms of performance both are close. Sometimes in certain conditions AMD-ATI is faster, and sometimes, under certrain other conditions nvidia might be.
          Can't say much about WoW now since I keep away from WoW. (Have heard that it can eat your time faster than you can say wow!)

So from my p.o.v. AMD-ATI would be a good choice. I have the latest "catalyst" on W32 and can't complain there. Yes, I have to use Windows for games, stupid copy protections, WINE performance and so on. On Linux I have chosen to stay with the free drivers and follow their development (xorg/mesa/gallium/kernel).
          If you get high on CUDA stuff then nvidia might have the right offer at high price and high thermics and energy uptake.

(Please consider if a game says "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played" then this game can be counted as a stupid piece o sh*t. Any games carrying labels running optimized only for one "platform" are stupid. You never know how far that will go, means even though they should keep with OpenGL/Direct3d specifications they might be "sabotaging" use of other cards.)
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Ya i see your point .
            Nvidia these days is crap and ati is beter ad many points.
            But the only thing i want is play wow on my kubuntu install
            Now i have seen a post about that ati has given ubuntu a driver that should work with 1.7 xorg-server.
            Yesterday i whas looking ad a nvidia 275gtx but i whas told that my 600W psu is not high enough for that
            Sorry but im not going to buy a new psu now for one graphic card.

On the amd/ati loving part.
            I always pick amd not for the money not for the power but i see so many people having trouble with there intel systems i dont wanna have that.
            I think i will just try one ati 5770 see how it goes .
            If it does not work the way i want it i will bring it back.

Comment

Not trying to discourage you, but I re-tested guildwars/wine on fglrx 10.3. Still crashed after playing for an hour.
              Apparently it works for disi, so the bug may be specific to either GuildWars or 5xxx GPUs. No idea.

That's really the only problem I'm having with fglrx, but it seems to be the one problem that'll bother you.

Comment

well guildwars never really did run well on my pc very slow .
                But thanks for testing im going to google to see if its the game or the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Well.
                  I like AMD (obviously) but I'll try to be objective.

So from my p.o.v. AMD-ATI would be a good choice. I have the latest "catalyst" on W32 and can't complain there. Yes, I have to use Windows for games, stupid copy protections, WINE performance and so on. On Linux I have chosen to stay with the free drivers and follow their development (xorg/mesa/gallium/kernel).
                  If you get high on CUDA stuff then nvidia might have the right offer at high price and high thermics and energy uptake.
                  Thanks for your input, Adarion.

I agree with you, generally. I don't need a really expensive gaming card but I would like something half decent that I COULD game with if I wanted. I prefer to use Linux but I'm not hard-core and I can live with booting a Windows partition if I want to play a game. If Wine or some other way is improved upon to allow Linux gaming, then I'm there.

Fermi doesn't sound good to me. To gaming enthusiasts, maybe it does, but I agree with you. I'm not buying another power supply because a really expensive card runs like a furnace.

I want a card that 'just works' and I want the features and potential to cover a wide area of uses. I want good 2D, 3D and I think it shold do anything that Windows allows it to do but I understand that the gaming situation is complex so I can let that go.

I have to admit that the Radeon HD 5770 looks like the best compromise and fits what I want nicely. I don't hold the same 'it's gotta be open source drivers' as some people. I think the binary driver will just work better because the OSS drivers probably take so much longer to develop and optimize. If the OSS drivers can deliver on everything, great, but I have yet to read that they do.

Major issues regarding video are a showstopper with me because many things I do on my computer involve video. If I have to resort to Windows every time I want to use 3D, say, like Google Earth or watch a movie, then what's the point? If ATI shows real progress and 99% of everything is working and the updates can be a bit more speedy, then I welcome choosing an ATI card.

I don't like that the newest Nvidia cards are so high-powered and expensive. I don't know how many mid-range cards they'll release but the rebadging and introduction of the these newest cards aren't a good sign. I'm neither a Nvidia or ATI fanatic but I think of myself as a bit more pragmatic. I'll go with whatever card fits my needs and offers the least amount of hassle. I think wireless and networking are inherently problematic but a video card and drivers shouldn't be a major ordeal in any OS, imho.

Comment

I have also have to say with nvidia its hard to pick a card .
                    Some models got a new name .
                    I'm good with pc's but gc are still something I'm blurry about .
                    But what do you guys think btw dus my psu have enough power to power 2 5770
                    My specs

Amd phenom 2.4ghz 95w edition
                    2x harddisks
                    2x burners
                    4gb khx memory

My psu : zalman 600w HP .

Comment

This thread is a little bit hogwash. The most important thing is, almost nobody does good gfx card benchmarking. Everybody does flashy tests using few latest Windows games scenarios, with power and thermal behavior appended. After that, thousands of teen idiots are flaming among the results, considering themselves being experts on computer graphics, because they measured frame-rate in some stupid FPS.

Gfx card is primarily the computer output. There are many tasks gfx card can do, and gaming is one one of them. I usually read common arguments, about ATI hardware superiority. But what is that? Why is HD5450 better than GT220? Who that defines? Because what? DirectX 11? Bullshit! Nobody cares DX outside Windows world, and even using Windows, you can not use hardware tessellation on such low end product. But you can accelerate HD video, and guess what... nVidia is better here. Than you can read something about great theoretical values of ATI GPGPU performance. But what about reality? nVidia has CUDA environment, which is most used, accepted and preferred GPGPU API in the world, and Apple's OpenCL, which is now standardised and AMD use it, is nowhere near, and would not be in few yers. Why? Because nVidia created great development tools, support binding to various languages like C, C++, Pyton, java, .NET and Fortran so popular among the developers. And this is how it works.

There is nothing lik better harware desing without appropriate software ecosystem, and that's why ATI fail in many taks compared to nVidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X