Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

I am having an incredibly difficult time getting this card to work in any linux distro with the proprietary drivers.

I have gotten reports that other people are getting this card to work with fglrx 9.11 and 9.12, as well as 10.1 in Ubuntu 9.10.

So, just to test it out, because I didn't see why it would work in Ubuntu and not Slackware, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10.

I went to AMD's website, and I downloaded Catalyst 9.11, 9.12, and 10.1.

I installed 10.1. Reboot. Same hardlock. No error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log as the hardlock is preventing a disc sync -- which is the same behavior I got trying to use fglrx with this card in slackware. I ran

Code:
    aticonfig --initial -f
    Reboot. Now, I get a flickering tty7, a numlock LED that flickers, and still no X.

I -could- start frantically trying all sorts of different combinations, BUT, I wanted to make sure some of you didn't know some secret to getting this to work as I have seen people on this forum say they have fglrx working with this card in Ubuntu 9.10.

The card works fine in Windows 7, flawlessly, so I know it's not a hardware issue.

What I'd like to do, is document this as well as I can so that other people who run into this problem don't just assume the card is bad like I did. Unfortunately I'm a slackware user, not an ubuntu user-- so I'm going to need a little bump in the right direction to get this going. So, Ubuntu 9.10 users, how did you get your HD 5770 working with fglrx?

also

I have devoted an entire blog to getting this card working which will eventually explain why there are problems. I'll wait for someone to ask for the URL before I post it so I'm not accused of spamming lol

Comment

Originally posted by dartmouth View Post
      I have devoted an entire blog to getting this card working which will eventually explain why there are problems. I'll wait for someone to ask for the URL before I post it so I'm not accused of spamming lol
      I guess I'll be the one to ask for the link.

I have a Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 5770 coming tomorrow. I hope mine doesn't have any problems.

Comment

Hey! Someone paid attention to me!

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
        I guess I'll be the one to ask for the link.

I have a Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 5770 coming tomorrow. I hope mine doesn't have any problems.
        Ask and ye shall receive!!

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Ok, but seriously, if anyone decides to follow this blog, please let me know if I could be more verbose when I'm testing; just today someone pointed out that I haven't been including the fglrx-install.log file, dmesg file, and I should be doing that.

Comment

dartmouth, did you get it working yet?

I was reading the Ubuntu forums especially posts about using the Radeon HD 5770 in Ubuntu (searched for '5770'). I'm considering upgrading my card to the Radeon card and would use Ubuntu (I already have some familiarity with the *buntus and don't have enough confidence to try an ATI card in something else...haha...). Try the forums there as extra support if you are still having trouble.

I have no idea about using it in Slackware as I don't use that.

Comment

yes it will allow you to run duel monitors. It is a decent card, but I would go for the ASUS HD 3870 HD. It is not much more and is more bang for your buck. Just make sure you got enough amperage to run it. That goes for the 3450 as well. If you got at least 25 amps running down the 12+ rail you are good.

Comment

Are the bots getting smarter? Above is almost on topic.

Damn the AI research.

Comment

Hi Dartmouth!
                looking through some of the log files in your "Efforts!" part of the log you seem to suffer from the same symptoms as I have with my Saphire Radeon 5770. So my question is, did you try to get this card running on an nForce4 chipset? I do and it doesn't seem to work with fglrx.
                I've also filed a bug report in the unofficial ATI/AMD Bugzilla:

You might want to look over it and if you match the symptoms and the hardware add your results to that bug report.
                Thanks!

Comment

not sure if this is relevant, but my Asus HD 5770 works fine.

00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
                  But that's not nForce 4 anymore, right?

fglrx 9.11 did work for me, but I wouldn't recommend sticking to it for too long.

Comment

Thanks for your reply,
                    but as you already pointed out, that's not the chipset I'm looking for.
                    the pci-id is something like this:
                    PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)

So I'm looking for something like the MCP51 version of an nForce chipset.
                    The full list of components is in the beginning of the bug report right after the Xorg.0.log.

Comment

Working...
                    X