No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon HD 5770 is not Linux Compatible Despite Advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dartmouth, lets see some log files. Until you give us some actual info, your post is nothing but FUD.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
      FWIW I just bought a 5770 (Sapphire Vapor-X) and it works with ATI's proprietary driver in Ubuntu 9.10. See proof here: 1 2 3 4 5
      The fact that it doesn't work in other distros just blows though
      it DOES work on other distros

it's just bloody FUD

could the creator of this thread change the title please ?

you know now after all that it DOES work

Comment

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
        FWIW I just bought a 5770 (Sapphire Vapor-X) and it works with ATI's proprietary driver in Ubuntu 9.10. See proof here: 1 2 3 4 5
        The fact that it doesn't work in other distros just blows though
        hi Max Spain,

I would also like to buy this video card but before I do I wanted to know if WoW works with it. Do you by any chance play this game? (and if you do, could you tell me what fps you get in crowded zones like Dalaran or Raids).

thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
          hi Max Spain,

I would also like to buy this video card but before I do I wanted to know if WoW works with it. Do you by any chance play this game? (and if you do, could you tell me what fps you get in crowded zones like Dalaran or Raids).

thanx.
          Save yourself the headache. I haven't used my linux install for a while, but I could barley get any games to run through wine(9.12/10.1). They were usually very slow or they would crash when the games would work fine on my 9800gt. Compound that with the fact they really don't care about updating kernel support or Xserver support and you can have some real problems with a distro like Arch or Debian unstable.

PS: the reason I don't run Linux right now is my install is broke because of all the packages I have had to hold up just to keep FGLRX running, and eventually things just decided to stop(screen locks up on start up) and I haven't cared enough to try and fix it.

Comment

I can confirm that I have been running ubuntu on my 5770 for a few months relatively cleanly...however I would not recommend installing the 10.2 update...speaking from my experience today the update essentially broke my X leaving my computer unusable until I went back to 10.1

Comment

Usually, when someone claims 'it works' and accuses someone of 'FUD,', it often means the opposite. Why do I say this? Well, I guess I have a pet peeve of people saying 'it works' without explaining or going into detail. Also, we have no ideas of what YOU are doing!!!! Please don't frustrate those who are having problems further with such responses.

Besides, I think it is good to go by those who are objective and report in detail what exactly works and doesn't work and what they do, guys like Kano, for e.g. I don't understand all the technical terminology but it gives a much better idea than 'it works' or 'it doesn't work.'

Just food for thought.

The Radeon HD 5770 sounds promising, as a good low temps card with decent modern specs, but the capability in linux doesn't seem to reach past common video use. So, no gaming (see wine) or advanced video usage. I only speculate, though. For myself, I want a card that I can watch movies on and have 3D for GoogleEarth but I don't want issues like tearing, flickering etc. I can play games in Windows until drivers mature and improve.

One last question: what are the distros that these cards 'work' in and why these disros only? Also, that is not enough info. Distros have different kernel versions, different xorg versions, different release versions etc. etc. If I am using Ubuntu, does it mean it works in the latest Ubuntu or only a particular release?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                The Radeon HD 5770 sounds promising, as a good low temps card with decent modern specs, but the capability in linux doesn't seem to reach past common video use. So, no gaming (see wine)
                Wine gaming with fglrx is like Russian roulette. If you're lucky the game will play without problems. If you're not so lucky the game crashes before it starts, during game play or you get really choppy game play. And if you are really out of luck fglrx will take down the entire system. Happened to me 5 times in the past month before I kicked fglrx of my system. Also fglrx is not suitable for video playback through the standard that most apps use (Xv), you'll get tearing like you've never seen before.

Comment

Maybe the ati devs are not allowed to watch videos at work and therefore that will never improve

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
                    hi Max Spain,

thanx.

i'm running WOW in wine on a saphire 5750 (model 100284L) -- at a 50% frame rate penalty wrt windows 7 64. WOW openGL performance is inferior to D3D on windows, although by a lesser margin. WOW is playable, but slower than on my 9600 gso 384MB when running in oGL on linux. i was so annoyed by this that i installed win7 on an external drive just to benchmark; i don't usually run windows at all.

i'm getting 15-20 fps on wine/linux in busy cap cities w/ medium to low settings, haven't been to dala or a raid yet. fyi, this is slightly worse than my 9600 gso. in windows/D3D it's 40-50 fps in busy areas, and windows/oGL get's ~30 fps in busy areas. settings are maxed for all measure windows measurements. the 5750 cost $130, the 9600 cost $50. pretty sad.

i know we're talking about the 5770 here, but they for those still considering a purchase, i can offer the following:

5750 works on ubuntu 9.10. it is NOT a paperwieght, but it is also not what i would consider $130 worth of awesome. i'm running the fglrx v.9.12 driver, and i had no trouble installing the ubuntu .debs generated by the installer binary.

things that work:
                    --2D accel. at acceptable performance levels
                    --suspend/resume
                    --compiz (the slow window resize bug seems to be absent)
                    --nexuiz (it's fast)
                    --urban terror (also fast)
                    --overclocking via atiode tool
                    --fan speed control via same
                    --resolution/refresh rate changes in X
                    --xrandr, monitor detection, etc
                    --very fast AA/AF
                    --good stability

things that don't work:

1. user switching from the display manager or restarting the display manager from another vt STILL crashes the box. this bug is _years_ old.

2. a small corrupted area intermittently appears in the lower right corner of the screen; it is the size and shape of, and in the same location as, the "unsupported hardware" watermark. it is resolved by restarting the display manager, but frequently recurs.

3. the mouse cursors intermittently become HUGE. this is only resolved by a reboot; restarting X doesn't fix it. this bug exists on windows as well -- it is resolved by the 9.12 hotfix.

things i haven't tried yet:
                    --kwin compositing
                    --phoronix test suite

other thoughts:

--some bugs seem to present themselves identically in both the linux and windows driver versions (yes, i have heard that the drivers share a code base).

--WOW is faster on windows/oGL than in wine. it is faster still in windows/d3d. it would be interesting to see whether this is also the case with my nvidia card.

--catalyst/ATI openGL performance seems to be inferior to D3D performance in WOW on windows. i don't know whether performance delta exists for other apps on windows, or is specific to WOW. i also don't know whether a performance delta occurs when using nvidia drivers/hardware on windows. i have a superstition that catalyst openGL performance is generally inferior to D3D performance. i have no evidence to support this, and i would like to concoct an objective test. perhaps someone else has already done this...

--i'm thinking of getting the phoronix test suite, and having a windows/linux/fglrx/d3d/oGL bencheroo with my 5750, 9600 gso, and 780g, and posting the results here (or maybe giving them to the phoronix guy). if folks are interested in this, say so, and i might get around to it.

--i will post logs, info, or etc if anyone wants it.

--i want to try the hotfix on linux, but the linux version is a broken link on the ATI website. does anyone know where i can get it?!??

--anyone have an idea about how to get rid of the corrupted watermark thingy? does the watermark removal script mentioned earlier in this thread apply here?

Comment

@elipsey: thank you very much for the infos. I think I will skip ATI and go with an NVidia for now (the only reason I need a discrete video card is to be able to play WoW at more than 30 fps in busy zones).

Comment

Working...
                      X