Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jalyst
    replied
    So if I go here & click on compare now I'm looking at CPU's which are all Core2 based?

Actually, you can get a Core2Duo as low as series 6 which does have VT-x.
    I was looking here

But I'm now considering series 8 CPU's (E8200 particularly) because they have the 1333 FSB for when/if I want to OC.
    I guess they'll also be much harder to under-volt because of their larger caches & higher clock-speed etc.
    Last edited by jalyst; 19 December 2009, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    No it is definite the same arch, don't get confused by the name - thats just marketing.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    The Pentium Dual E6300 is just like a C2D but with smaller caches, with smaller cache oc works usally much better. With a C2D you would need series 8 for vt and thats too expensive - i guess i3 will be cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Maybe you should read my first posts better. The cheapest dual core is called Pentium Dual E6300 which has vt, there are a few faster models too up to E6500. Usally those cpus oc very well if you want to try it. Just be sure you don't oc your ram.

Leave a comment:

• jalyst
    replied
    Do you reckon it's worthwhile searching a little more for GM45 or PM45 motherboards?
    See post #39, I found a GM45 mobo which is prolly good enough!!
    Or are there better reasons to stick with G45 or P45 mobos in your opinion?

Do you still think it's better to get a mobo w/IGP considering I'm adding a discrete card, or is it a waste of money?
    Of the G45/P45 finalist mobo's I listed, which do you prefer?

Interesting, the lowest mobile c2d I could find has VT-x, the lowest desktop c2d doesn't.
    Do you know of any core2duo's that are particularly good at undervolting?
    This user seems to have had luck with an e5200.
    Last edited by jalyst; 19 December 2009, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    The TDP does not really matter 90% or more of the time as EIST will lower the power usage. I just would use one of the cheap dual cores with vt support (if you want to use virtualisation some time for something it would certainly not hurt). You don't have to search much, the G41/G43/G45 are the current s775 desktop chips, all others are mobile.

Leave a comment:

• jalyst
    replied
    There's very little difference in price here in oz for g41 mobo versus g45...
    G210 is just too anaemic for games & even loses a few features for video as I recall compared to gt220 (might be mistaken)

Could you please post your thoughts on #39, #40, & #42 & if time this?

Much appreciated
    Last edited by jalyst; 19 December 2009, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Basically G41 would be enough. Ok, your hd would not work with AHCI, but that not that critical. Put in a G210 and enjoy vdpau. I don't think it is worth now to invest much in a s775 system - if you need something for gaming i5 is the way to go together with gt300 when it is out or much cheaper: a gaming console.

Leave a comment:

• jalyst
    replied
    yeah but it'll still be cheaper than equivalent segment nehamalen-based systems.
    Any thoughts on posts: #39, #40, & #42?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I think G45 will not drop that fast as it a premium replacement chipset for s775 systems - and not really needed for low cost. But next year there will be definitely the end of s775 boards as soon as there are cheaper s1156 boards - maybe to the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X