Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone's passing by....
    Could you please add your thoughts to these questions?
    Much appreciated!!!

[1]
    Do you reckon it's worthwhile searching a little more for GM45 or PM45 motherboards?
    See post #39, I found a GM45 mobo which is prolly good enough!!

[2]
    Or are there better reasons to stick with G45 or P45 mobo's in your opinion?

[3]
    Are you sure it's a good idea to get a mobo w/IGP considering I'm using a discrete card?
    I'm guessing mATX P45 mobo's would generally be better equipped for OC/UC than G45 mobo's.

[4]
    Of the G45/P45 finalist mobo's I listed, which do you prefer?
    Last edited by jalyst; 20 December 2009, 03:47 AM.

Comment

1) wasted money
      2) G45 as you can try it without gfx card first - when the cpu is too slow then you can still add a gfx card. also you have got a backup in case the card dies
      3) i only own G33,Q35 and Q45 boards, so of course
      4) i usally prefer gigabyte, but you have to manually adjust the ddr2 ram speed in the overclocking menu when you raise the fsb, by default it overclocks it (which is definitely not needed)

Btw. to prove that a E8xxx cpu+Q45 is a bad choice search for i3-540 and H55. That cpu is a tiny bit more expensive than a E8400 but much faster - especially due to Turbo Boost (automated OC). H55 is for a new chipset really cheap too - at least for Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        1) wasted money
        yeah I'm starting to agree...

2) G45 as you can try it without gfx card first - when the cpu is too slow then you can still add a gfx card. also you have got a backup in case the card dies
        yeah I suppose, so long a g45 mobo's aren't poor oc/uc'rs compared to p45.

3) i only own G33,Q35 and Q45 boards, so of course
        LOL, what are you trying to say here?

4) i usally prefer gigabyte, but you have to manually adjust the ddr2 ram speed in the overclocking menu when you raise the fsb, by default it overclocks it (which is definitely not needed)
        hmm that doesn't sound good, but so long as there's an option to manually adjust, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Btw. to prove that a E8xxx cpu+Q45 is a bad choice search for i3-540 and H55. That cpu is a tiny bit more expensive than a E8400 but much faster - especially due to Turbo Boost (automated OC). H55 is for a new chipset really cheap too - at least for Intel.
        so does that mean you disagree with similar xeon chip suggestions too?
        Last edited by jalyst; 20 December 2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I own one of the rarest s775 cpus out there, i know the limits of it too:

not really needed to put money into a i5 when you have got such a cpu already, an i9 would be an interesting choice however...

Comment

I'm thinking I'll just use my:
            ga-p35-dq6 + c2d (can't recall model) + 4GB DDR2-1066 (corsair) + Gbyte 8600GTS as my Myth BE "&" XBMC FE for the moment.

Then after the clarkdale/arrandale stuff comes out I'll select a CPU + Motherboard for a new front-end.
            Initially I'll see how far I can get with just the IGP, but I'll prolly eventually add a GT220.

Good idea you reckon?

Do you reckon a Clarkdale + Mobo will be as cheap as a similarly configured Wolfdale + G45 mobo is now?
            I don't want to wait 6-weeks only to find I'm paying 10% (or more) extra when I don't need the extra performance anyway.
            And everything better be out on the 7th, I don't want to wait 6-weeks or more

P57, H55, H57, Q57: what's the big difference between all these and the P55?
            Wikipedia doesn't go into much detail for the standard or mobile series 5 chipsets.
            Do you know anywhere where the differences are explained in more detail?

I can guess what Q57's emphasis is based on chipset series 3/4, & I know that H5x is the series 5 equivalent of G4x.
            But I'm not sure what the '7' represents on those chipsets...

6mth+ I'll also build a Core i7+ system for a native VMM/NAS I have in mind, 2010 is going to be an exciting year!
            Last edited by jalyst; 20 December 2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

i5-750 is about 20 € more with quad core. a bit lower default speed but nice cpu too. just get one of the cheaper p55 boards without usb 3/sata 3 - those are more or less useless anyway because you would need to run the gfx card slower or they are just relatively slow. a bit overkill for a movie pc however, but optimal for gaming.

Comment

That's clear H55 or H57 is needed for clarkdale - otherwise you don't have got the vga/hdmi connectors. Why should somebody spend money on integrated gfx thats useless with a P55?

Comment

There is no P57 as far as i know. H55 is a stripped down variant of the H57 with 2 sata ports less and without the onboard raid functions (you could compare with ICH10 and ICH10R for s775). P55 and H57 should be similar just that H57 can be used with i3 cpus to use the onboard vga connectors - or with 1 pci-e card. If you see a H5x board with 2 pci-e connectors the 2nd could be only used with a i5 or i7 cpu (those have got no onchip vga of course but a 2nd pci-e controller).

Comment

Thanks but I already knew that, I was referring to this section of post #65.

I'm thinking I'll just use my:
                    ga-p35-dq6 + c2d (can't recall model) + 4GB DDR2-1066 (corsair) + Gbyte 8600GTS as my Myth BE "&" XBMC FE for the moment.

Then after the clarkdale/arrandale stuff comes out I'll select a CPU + Motherboard for a new front-end.
                    Initially I'll see how far I can get with just the IGP, but I'll prolly eventually add a GT220.

Good idea you reckon?

Do you reckon a Clarkdale + Mobo will be as cheap as a similarly configured Wolfdale + G45 mobo is now?
                    I don't want to wait 6-weeks only to find I'm paying 10% (or more) extra when I don't need the extra performance anyway.

Comment

Well you have to select a distro with absolutely latest intel drivers to do this with H55/H57. Maybe fedroa rawhide or you use backports for other distros or compile those drivers on your own. I don't know if all outputs will work directly, most likely dvi should work first. From the speed an i3 should be enough to decode most things on its own - maybe latest this year it gets h264 accellaration via vaapi (no idea if vc1 will be implemented). Just be sure that the bios is correctly configured and allows all turbo boost states.

Comment

Working...
                      X