Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
    Yeah I really need something in the next few weeks.
    Can you point me to the source of these rumours, I'd like to chase this up some more?!
    By end of 2009 rumor, 220 rumor.

When you chose the ION, which actual mobo did you get and why?
    I went with Zotac's IONITX (the version with external power supply). I chose it because of positive reviews and the fact that I can put it in an absurdly small mini-itx case (though I haven't done that yet).

Kano's a developer so his opinion about Atom slowness is skewed. If you're just building an appliance, you're probably not going to be compiling as much as he does (maybe even never, depending on what distro you use). It's true that Atom is slow compared to any other modern processor, but that's because all modern processors are blazing fast overkill monsters. This is a good time to be alive.

His advice about a better processor and GT220 card ain't bad, though, as long as you don't mind that your computer will end up physically larger.

BTW, I'm (soon?) going to split my MythTV into two pieces (separate front/back boxes) and it's true that I'm considering a faster-than-Atom processor (I want an Athlon II X2 240e but can't find them!) for the backend, but that's mainly due to not being able to find Atom boards with more than 3 SATA ports. Now that TV is is digital so you never have to encode video, Atom's "slowness" just doesn't matter when it comes to MythTV.
    Last edited by Zapitron; 04 December 2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

okay thanks for your thoughts!

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      As long as you use opengl rendering for output ATI will do or with oss radeon driver xv works too. With fast cpu you use even software rendering for low bitrate 1080p (not bluray). xvba/vaapi is not as good/stable as the nvidia solutions. I guess most ppl without bluray media will be fine with ati/amd solutions. But if the main purpose is 1080p with high bitrate you will not be happy.

Comment

Some great points thanks,

I already have a core2duo based system for the back-end so I guess any transcoding can be done on it.
        It might be painful at times if I want to build anything from source, but I imagine I won't be doing that too often.

As you said there is some mpeg4 HD that it struggles with...
        But so long as there's a spare PCI-E 8x slot I can always add a GT2xx later if needs be!

Hopefully there's also one PCI slot for a discrete sound-card!?

Originally posted by Zapitron View Post
        By end of 2009 rumor, 220 rumor.

I went with Zotac's IONITX (the version with external power supply). I chose it because of positive reviews and the fact that I can put it in an absurdly small mini-itx case (though I haven't done that yet).

Kano's a developer so his opinion about Atom slowness is skewed. If you're just building an appliance, you're probably not going to be compiling as much as he does (maybe even never, depending on what distro you use). It's true that Atom is slow compared to any other modern processor, but that's because all modern processors are blazing fast overkill monsters. This is a good time to be alive.

His advice about a better processor and GT220 card ain't bad, though, as long as you don't mind that your computer will end up physically larger.

BTW, I'm (soon?) going to split my MythTV into two pieces (separate front/back boxes) and it's true that I'm considering a faster-than-Atom processor (I want an Athlon II X2 240e but can't find them!) for the backend, but that's mainly due to not being able to find Atom boards with more than 3 SATA ports. Now that TV is is digital so you never have to encode video, Atom's "slowness" just doesn't matter when it comes to MythTV.
        Last edited by jalyst; 05 December 2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

aw shite there isn't enough PCI/e slots!
          Has anyone heard of an ITX ION board with more than one PCI/E slot
          or at least a mATX ION board?!!?

Comment

Do you really think that there will be new ION boards next year after Atom N450 comes out on 11th january with integrated GPU? At least not for Atom, best guess would be Nano. So you basically want to use an already dead product.

Comment

Im sorry could you please clarify?

Comment

I am not 100% sure, but most likely the next years Atom CPUs will have got GMA 500 included. So it would be really nice to see some tests with vaapi mplayer and gma 500.

Comment

I need one PCI-e 16x (or whatever the min is for a GT220) and one PCI...

So far the best ITX board I've found has one mini-PCIE and one 16x PCI-e.
                  So it's looking very unlikely I'll find an ITX board with any-more than that.

I guess I could get some kind of riser card that splits the 16x into one 8x & two 4x OR two 8x?
                  Then I could find some kind of converter that turns one of these slots into PCI 2.2?
                  I believe they do exist, but they may only work with 1x or 4x PCIe, not 100% sure.
                  Or maybe even something that converts the mini-PCIe into PCI?

But it just gets too complicated I think, sigh...

I have found one mATX board that uses dual core Atom, but it uses Intel IGP.

So I may as well just get a mATX mobo with geforce 9400 + core2duo don't you reckon?
                  Last edited by jalyst; 06 December 2009, 10:13 AM.

Comment

S775 plattform is certainly much better than Atom. Relatively (for Intel) cheap cpus like Pentium E6300 could be used there. But the price is too extreme for the boards with nvidia chipset. G41 is cheap, could be equipped with Nv gfx card if cpu would be too slow to decode what you want. That's at least by about factor 3 more unlikely than with Atom. Basically you could try the same with ATI plattform, cpus for the same price as a E6300 could be even a bit faster. Nvidia onboard is definitely more expensive than Intel/AMD plattform + dedicated gfx card.

Comment

so even if I got a g41 (or similar) + nv GT220 it would still be cheaper than a mATX mobo based on the Geforce 9400? You sure about this, doesn't sound right...

Comment

Working...
                      X