Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Has anyone heard of anything like this on the cards very soon?
    Ideally an IGP with post processing abilities equal to the recently released GT 2xx range

I'm thinking of buying a media front-end for my Myth set-up & I'm not sure
    I want ION-based with the advent of the more capable GT 2xx cards...

Thanks
    Last edited by jalyst; 13 December 2009, 09:23 AM.

ION2 is rumored to be based on the GT2xx stuff, i.e. feature set C, i.e. hardware MPEG4 decoding. It's also rumored to be out Very Soon. Alas, the repeating key word here is "rumor."

FWIW, original ION is pretty good for MythTV frontend. I got one a few months ago and am still using as a front and back, though it's a bit overworked in that role. But the 9400M is able to handle anything MPEG2 that you get from TV, and anything H.264 that I've seen so far from .. er .. other sources. When it comes to MPEG4, amazingly, the Atom is able to handle most stuff just fine, but I have run into some high-def MPEG4 that seemed to be a little too much for it. So yeah, I understand that desire for GT2xx.

Wait as long as you can, and if you can't wait any more, then get the original ION and you'll actually be pretty happy, I think.
    Last edited by Zapitron; 02 December 2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

thanks for your insights!

how's the zino HD as a media front end, do you reckon its a waste of time?

Tis all AMD-based..

Last I checked AMD's equivalent of vdpau was quite underdeveloped, but thing might have changes somewhat...

thanks again :-)

Comment

There is a xvba-video wrapper to use it with vaapi - but please do not spend money for that to try it is not worth.

Comment

So you're saying that AMD graphics are still no good?

What about AMD platform in general on Linux?
          Do AMD based mobo's typically work as reliably out of the box?

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          There is a xvba-video wrapper to use it with vaapi - but please do not spend money for that to try it is not worth.

Comment

Yeah I really need something in the next few weeks.
            Can you point me to the source of these rumours, I'd like to chase this up some more?!

When you chose the ION, which actual mobo did you get and why?
            I'm trying to decide if I want just the bare components & then source my own case, or buy something like an acer revo.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Zapitron View Post
            ION2 is rumored to be based on the GT2xx stuff, i.e. feature set C, i.e. hardware MPEG4 decoding. It's also rumored to be out Very Soon. Alas, the repeating key word here is "rumor."

FWIW, original ION is pretty good for MythTV frontend. I got one a few months ago and am still using as a front and back, though it's a bit overworked in that role. But the 9400M is able to handle anything MPEG2 that you get from TV, and anything H.264 that I've seen so far from .. er .. other sources. When it comes to MPEG4, amazingly, the Atom is able to handle most stuff just fine, but I have run into some high-def MPEG4 that seemed to be a little too much for it. So yeah, I understand that desire for GT2xx.

Wait as long as you can, and if you can't wait any more, then get the original ION and you'll actually be pretty happy, I think.

Comment

Hey guys,
              You reckon you could answer these final questions?
              Very much appreciated!

Comment

If you don't want ION as laptop then i would prefer somthing like a Nv G210 passively cooled card (for example MSI) in a cheap dual core solution (around 3 ghz) - but definitely no Atom based thing. Atom is really slow, when you want to use latest code that you have to compile from time to time you can take a long break till it finishes. The Atom boards may need a bit less energy but always when you need speed it is not there.

Comment

Oh so you would recommend against a ION system altogether for a media front-end?
                  But it would handle must stuff thrown at it easily wouldn't it? Cept for maybe some mpeg4 HD.

So you reckon AMD graphics are still no good, but what about AMD platform in general on Linux?
                  Do AMD based mobo's typically work as reliably out-of-the-box?

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  If you don't want ION as laptop then i would prefer somthing like a Nv G210 passively cooled card (for example MSI) in a cheap dual core solution (around 3 ghz) - but definitely no Atom based thing. Atom is really slow, when you want to use latest code that you have to compile from time to time you can take a long break till it finishes. The Atom boards may need a bit less energy but always when you need speed it is not there.
                  Last edited by jalyst; 04 December 2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

As long as you use opengl rendering for output ATI will do or with oss radeon driver xv works too. With fast cpu you use even software rendering for low bitrate 1080p (not bluray). xvba/vaapi is not as good/stable as the nvidia solutions. I guess most ppl without bluray media will be fine with ati/amd solutions. But if the main purpose is 1080p with high bitrate you will not be happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X