Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by renethx
    For a Linux-based Media front-end?
    - X4500HD vs X4500: Does not matter, I think. "HD" supports hardware decode acceleration for H.264/VC-1, but there is no linux driver supporting it?
    - 16GB vs 8GB memory support: Does not matter at all. 2GB is enough.
    - VT-d: Are you running HTPC as a VM? I don't think it works well.
    - ICH10 vs ICH7: At least two more SATA ports.
    X4500HD sounds unneeded then, as the discrete card will take care of this.
    Might be handy as a back-up in Windows if the discrete dies though?

The difference in price is negligible, so I may as well get a mobo that supports 16GB RAM, even if I never use it.

Good point Re VT-d, it's best suited for a X58 + Core i7 + heaps of RAM in a server env. etc.
    As this is meant to be a dedicated media front-end, I can't see any handy use for it.

I believe ICH10R adds firmware raid functions which I think are mostly irrelevant for my usage (I'll have a dedicated NAS/PVR).
    But what about ICH10D & ICH10-D0, what do they bring?
    W.R.T ICH10 Vs ICH7; I'm pretty sure there's more significant differences, I will investigate further.

Originally posted by renethx
    What's your budget for mb? G45 > $100 (many good G45 mb have been discontiuned; LGA1156 is coming soon), G43 < $90. If you decided to go for GeForce GT 220/240, spending money on G45 is not a good idea, IMO.
    I suppose....

Why pay extra $ for the G45 when the only thing it offers above the G43 is the X4500HD?
    Particularly considering that the discrete will do everything the HD does and more!?

The X4500 would still be fine as a back-up if the discrete dies...
    It's not as though it or the X4500HD would remain as the primary GPU in that scenario anyway!

So that rules out G45 then.
    Last edited by jalyst; 13 December 2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Yep page 44....

ICH10D is the same as ICH10DO except that:
      1) It doesn't have Intel Matrix RAID.
      2) It's version of Intel AMT is more basic.

Both these SB are unique in that they have:
      1) Intel TPM
      2) JTAG boundary scan
      3) Intel AMT

ICH10 is the same as ICH10R except that:
      1) It doesn't have Intel Turbo Mem.
      2) It may or may not have AHCI
      3) It doesn't have Intel Matrix RAID

Both these SB are unique in that they have:
      1) Wake on VoIP
      2) Intel ViiV
      3) Intel RWT

ICH7 family data-sheet

To my mind none of these features are necessary....
      But ICH10 as-a-whole has seen other improvements (as evidenced in the sheets/wiki) since ICH7.

I'm almost settled on G45, it just depends on whether X4500 + ICH10/R is more useful than:

X4500 + ICH10DO [Intel TPM + JTAG BS + Intel VT-d + Intel Matrix + Intel AMT 5.x Pro] (Q45)

I'm going to embed links to all the features I'm uncertain about...
      So I can get a picture of what exactly they all are, and make an informed decision from there.

As I recall things like: TPM, JTAG BS, VT-d, & AMT also depend on the OEM I buy from.
      Some non-Intel mobo makers don't include or provide subsequent updates for them via their BIOS img.
      Last edited by jalyst; 14 December 2009, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Actually most implementations of g43 are more limited than officially stated.
        Intel's site itself contains lots of conflicting info...

I've looked at differences in prices for g43/45 boards locally and it's no more than $20 Ausd on avg.
        Just to be safe I'm moving to g45.....

I'm also scratching Q43 so that leaves only G45/Q45 as finalists, see above.
        Last edited by jalyst; 14 December 2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Well I've read up more on: Intel TPM + JTAG BS + Intel VT-d + Intel Matrix + Intel AMT 5.x Pro
          And none of them are particularly useful...

Even if the motherboard was re-purposed I'd rather have X4500HD than any of them, except for maybe Intel Matrix Storage.
          But the latter can be had with G45 anyway so the choice is clear; G45-in/Q45-out, now to chose the exact G45 motherboard.

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
          ... I'm almost settled on G45, it just depends on whether X4500 + ICH10/R is more useful than:

X4500 + ICH10DO [Intel TPM + JTAG BS + Intel VT-d + Intel Matrix + Intel AMT 5.x Pro] (Q45)

I'm going to embed links to all the features I'm uncertain about...
          So I can get a picture of what exactly they all are, and make an informed decision from there.

As I recall things like: TPM, JTAG BS, VT-d, & AMT also depend on the OEM I buy from.
          Some non-Intel mobo makers don't include or provide subsequent updates for them via their BIOS img.

Comment

anyone know the answer to this one?

Originally posted by jalyst
            Does anyone know if CULV is available in a socketed format instead of BGA?
            Or at least soldered onto a Intel mATX motherboard that's available stand-alone instead of w/a laptop?

Comment

Can someone help me out with these remaining questions too?
              The top GPU in the low-end (40nm/dx10.1) GT 2xx series is the GT 240 right? [aka GT215]

Does anyone know where all the exact differences are documented?
              Had a look around but couldn't find anything decent...

Does it draw much more & run hotter than the 220 as a result, or only when gaming?
              It doesn't surpass the 220 [aka GT216] in-terms of video assistance, only 3d acceleration right?
              Pretty sure all VP4 cards are the same in-terms of video abilities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Table_of_NVIDIA_GPUs
              Leaving the only points of differentiation as 3d/physics acceleration....

Would the GT 240 be better than the 9600GT for 3d acceleration?
              Someone in another thread answered this & reckons it's about the same...

With these Intel IGP chipsets; does the IGP switch-off entirely if a discrete card's inserted?
              Again someone answered, claims it's off entirely when it detects a discrete card in the 16x slot.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                Is x4500HD significantly better than x4500 in any way?
                Not until they finish their Linux drivers.

Does anyone know if CULV is available in a socketed format instead of BGA?
                Maybe this, with a Core 2 Duo SU9x00? Alas, I think I see "PCI slot" rather than PCIe for you to stick a GT2x0 into.

I don't get why Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc aren't cranking out Socket P motherboards. Surely they'd sell?

It seems like nobody quite has the perfect equipment yet, though several different approaches get tantalizingly close. ION would be perfect except for about 10% of my MPEG4 files. ION2 which corrects that, is now rumored for January (if you can believe rumors, which have already been wrong once about this platform). AMD has some 25W/35W CPUs coming "soon"(?) and the ATI drivers are getting better and better, but none of it is still quite ready today. I wish they'd all stop teasing us.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapitron View Post
                  Maybe this, with a Core 2 Duo SU9x00? Alas, I think I see "PCI slot" rather than PCIe for you to stick a GT2x0 into.

I don't get why Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc aren't cranking out Socket P motherboards. Surely they'd sell?
                  Ah sweet, had no idea there was was a socket P (learning as I go), seems to be the socket for 'mobile Core2' CPU's, thanks!
                  Yeah it's a shame where everything is at, but I can no longer play the waiting game....
                  If I can't find a decent mobo based on socket P, then I'll just have to continue w/G45 + lowest power desktop core2duo.
                  Last edited by jalyst; 16 December 2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Found out the chip-sets one wants mobile core2duo; GM45 & PM45
                    Uses ICH9-M instead of ICH10x, but that's good enough imo?

Once again getting ridiculous conflicting info on Intel's site.
                    Not 100% certain but I think GS45 has the same capabilities as the GM45, but in a smaller form-factor.

So in the mobile sphere only GM45 & PM45 remain, not even considering PM55.

This is almost perfect, cept PCIe is only 1x.
                    I'd also prefer to have four dimms & that prolly aint gunna happen on mITX!
                    As a world leading gaming brand, MSI is the most trusted name in gaming and eSports. We stand by our principles of breakthroughs in design, and roll out the amazing gaming gear like motherboards, graphics cards, laptops and desktops.

Found a few others, tried google search for GM45 motherboard & PM45 motherboard & variations around that.
                    But it doesn't look like any are going to be bigger than mITX (makes sense if the platform is mostly for laptops),
                    and none so far have PCI + PCIe 16x, only PCI + PCIe 1x + miniPCI

So close yet so far

This is all logic supply's got

Think this is the best I've seen yet but no only 2 dimms & no DDR3,

Might have to settle for it or go for a G45 mobo, which will give my everything I want for less of a premium, but a higher overall TDP

Anyone else found something? The holy grail =

mATX form-factor or less, GM45/PM45-based mobo w/ 1x PCIe 16x, 1x PCI, DD3 support, 4 so/dimms nice but not imperative, all the other usual stuff.
                    HDMI not necessary & neither is on-board sound, as both will be covered by discrete cards.
                    Last edited by jalyst; 16 December 2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

This is the lowest max TDP mobile core2duo atm

Found it using this....

Max TDP for core2duo desktop processors doesn't seem to vary at all.

Wonder how I'm going to establish which is the lowest power, just pick lowest clock?

This seems to be lowest clock/cache in that category...
                      Last edited by jalyst; 16 December 2009, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X