Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases OpenCL ATI GPU Support For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Releases OpenCL ATI GPU Support For Linux

AMD has released the fourth beta of the ATI Stream SDK 2.0, which provides a complete OpenCL development platform with OpenCL ATI GPU support for the ATI Radeon HD 4000/5000 series. Besides running OpenCL on the GPU, this ATI SDK also supports running OpenCL on SSE3-capable, multi-core CPUs from both AMD and Intel too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news!
    I can't wait to see benchmarks...

Comment

Awesome. Go ATI ;-) Now we just need a video acceleration :>

Comment

Looking at

Integrated GPU's are not supported. Is that because they are not meant for heavy work load, and would therefore over heat?

Or does these lack some hardware features, so not even the open source version of OpenCL would support integrated GPU's?

Of course OpenCL makes the most sense of high end cards =)

Comment

Reading the released specs of NVidia's G300, there is "native support for execution of C++ on GPU." That means running "real C++ applications" on the GPU. Does ATI allow that too now with OpenCL or is this something entirely different?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            Integrated GPU's are not supported. Is that because they are not meant for heavy work load, and would therefore over heat? Or does these lack some hardware features, so not even the open source version of OpenCL would support integrated GPU's?
            The OpenCL code only supports HD4xxx and higher GPUs. The IGP parts all use cores from earlier generations.

I believe the issue is the on-chip LDS/GDS memory blocks which allow data sharing between GPU threads. Those blocks first appeared in the HD4xxx family.
            Last edited by bridgman; 13 October 2009, 04:12 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              The OpenCL code only supports HD4xxx and higher GPUs. The IGP parts all use cores from earlier generations.

I believe the issue is the on-chip LDS/GDS memory blocks which allow data sharing between GPU threads. Those blocks first appeared in the HD4xxx family.
              Interesting stuff.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

So does that mean that there will be no forthcoming support for the HD2xxx and HD3xxx families? If so, that makes me want to cry...

Comment

Quick answer is "I don't know", but there will definitely be Gallium3D drivers for those parts and AFAIK the OpenCL work being done by TG/VMWare is still happening (although Zack seems to be having a brief but intense fling with the xorg state tracker at the moment), so there should be support one way or another.

What I don't know is how much those hardware features will affect the useability of OpenCL on earlier parts.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 13 October 2009, 04:32 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

What about the Radeon HD 4200 IGP? Is that new enough?

Comment

Working...
                    X