No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I forgot to add that I had the same problem as you.

Comment

• Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
      II had to remove the ubuntu distributed driver, run fglrx_uninstall and then rm -rf /etc/ati before running the downloaded 10.04 installer. I used the installer option rather than creating debs or whatever too.

I also need to set "DefaultDepth 24" manually in the xorg.conf after running the installer.

I can pm you my xorg.conf if that helps.
      Hmm. I did a rm -rf /usr/share/ati before installing via shellscript.

Bottomline seems to be that the Ubuntu distribution driver must not be there anymore. (So actually this step should not be necessary if I do a fesh Lucid install and DO NOT again trap into the driver-installer-applet before trying the scripted installer from AMD.
      No problem then, I made it a custom to completely try any Ubuntu on a stick drive, and only install it on HD if I am sure that everything works. ...because unfortunately Ubuntu gets worse and worse with each release. Yes they add more features, but the original 'Ubuntu-Effect' (Ahh, a Linux where everything works ootb) is certainy tainted nowandays.

Anyway, I did not change the color depth.
      Will try all this later. xorg.conf would be appreciated.

Thanks, dude

Comment

• You must be really crazy when you use the ati installer purely... This may work some time but not for long when jockey wants to install fglrx again...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          You must be really crazy when you use the ati installer purely... This may work some time but not for long when jockey wants to install fglrx again...
          So your suggestion is to make deb files?

Where do you place them to make sure that jockey will not get the Ubuntu distributed ones? (again: they do not work, they fuck up the X Server)

Comment

• Well maybe that will work with 10-5, but 10-4 has broken packageing by default. So simply run my script (i also add patches for .33/34 kernel).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Well maybe that will work with 10-5, but 10-4 has broken packageing by default. So simply run my script (i also add patches for .33/34 kernel).

http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh
              Well, thanks for the script. But the sad truth is that I cannot even log into a freakin' text-shell only system. No VGA Signal on tty0 to 5. I do not mean blanc screen, I mean no output signal. And that is even true when I switch to onboard graphic (which is a Radeon 3 thousand something chip.
              WTF, Shuttleworth!!!

Comment

• you can use it this way too:
                Code:
                sudo -i
                DISPLAY= sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -z
                reboot

Comment

• Originally posted by sorab View Post
                  Well, thanks for the script. But the sad truth is that I cannot even log into a freakin' text-shell only system. No VGA Signal on tty0 to 5. I do not mean blanc screen, I mean no output signal. And that is even true when I switch to onboard graphic (which is a Radeon 3 thousand something chip.
                  WTF, Shuttleworth!!!
                  Re you able to boot to a text console by using the standard procedure?

To boot into text mode
                  • Reboot machine
                  • Hold down shift key before GRUB starts so as to go into the grub menu
                  • Press E to edit the boot options
                  • Add the word "text" (no quotes) to the list of kernel options
                  • Press CTRL-X to begin booting into text mode

Comment

• @mugginz: I was trying to boot from a live system, not installed one. But the boot options to boot into a live-textshell do not seem to work with Lucid

@Kano: ... neither does building anything against the Kernel on Live Lucid. (This LTS is really sloppy done.)
                    Thanks for the script though. I installed to HD, and there the script ran like a charm.
                    Now, do I assume right that I better ignore the packet management nagging me about available updates for Catalyst?

Comment

• Well when you update em you will lose .33/.34 kernel support. The rest should not really matter. With relaese of 10-5 the script will install a newer version anyway and there will be no updates available then.

Comment

Working...
                      X