No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the HD5xxx parts will need much in the way of new documentation, at least not until the Mesa devs start to work on supporting DX11 features.

There'll probably be a new ISA doc to cover the shader differences -- we'll know more over the next few weeks.
    Test signature

Comment

Thats good to hear it should be supported soon. I thought AMD/ATI was going for same day release with linux ? ( fglrx, all documentation, open source would nice with at least something started)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I don't think the HD5xxx parts will need much in the way of new documentation, at least not until the Mesa devs start to work on supporting DX11 features.

There'll probably be a new ISA doc to cover the shader differences -- we'll know more over the next few weeks.
        Ah, very nice indeed...

(btw, on the non-open side, I'm looking forward to playing with OpenCL on my 4830. )

And I think fglrx already works with the 5k's... or will in 9.10. The support infrastructure is there to get free 2D working quickly, but not instantly It's a far cry from the 1xxx and 2xxx series where there was no support for a very long time.
        Last edited by Chad Page; 14 October 2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
          Thats good to hear it should be supported soon. I thought AMD/ATI was going for same day release with linux ? ( fglrx, all documentation, open source would nice with at least something started)
          Nope, that was never the plan. We *are* going for same day fglrx support, since fglrx can leverage common development effort (the main advantage of a proprietary driver), but the open source work starts shortly before launch when everything has been locked down and we start coding/testing on commercially available hardware.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Nope, that was never the plan. We *are* going for same day fglrx support, since fglrx can leverage common development effort (the main advantage of a proprietary driver), but the open source work starts shortly before launch when everything has been locked down and we start coding/testing on commercially available hardware.
            I hope you guys will add support for 5750 and 5770 to the opensource drivers soon enough - at least when their general availability gets better here (meaning during the next 3-8 weeks) since I'm planning to get me one of those & thanking you guys via $$$

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
              Hi Yall & Michael,

um, like dude, di you just say ....

"The Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2) support with ATI Avivo HD may also be ignored by Linux users at this time, as we have been talking about the X-Video Bitstream Acceleration (XvBA) for a year now and it still has yet to be usable by ATI Radeon customers, but it finally will be in the very near future. UVD2 in ATI Radeon hardware will finally mean something on Linux, but we will have to wait to share more until permitted."

I second that...

I just convinced myself to buy a nvidia card and I read this... but this time i'm not waiting a whole year

Comment

I don't think that it will take 1 year, but with more drawbacks than you would like

Comment

Drawbacks?

Hi Yall & Kano,

"Drawbacks?" Sounds like you have heard something from someone who has used this as yet unreleased software.

Um, care to share?

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

Well you can try the mplayer needed, thats mplayer vaapi. It learnt OSD with nvidia now, but h264 which does play only play h264 profile 4.1 and not 5.1. that is no problem using vdpau with the same mplayer but differnet vo/vc.

Comment

Drawbacks & FGLRX-XvBA-UVD2?

Hi Yall & Kano,

I was thinking more about drawbacks & FGLRX-XvBA-UVD2.

I gather you are pointing out issues with the nVidia implimentation, which is a whole different bundle of joys....

One hope I have, is that the playback issues with video (the popped up again, watching Pink Panter cartons, just now), in particular video tearing.

But I maybe confussing "video accelleration," with "Vsynch" or hoping for a silver bullet.

Still, my new 5850 does play Civ-IV, the way it is meant to be played! ;-)

nVidia lost my vote, with the way the screwed with the code on "BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM" game.

*BFN*

Greekgeek.

Comment

Working...
                      X