No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not only the tearing but also the washed out colours. Good that OpenGL works properly :P

Comment

• @Bridgman: I was thinking... the ATI flgrx drivers are kinda, you know, crappy in some cases (you always hear about what goes wrong and almost never about what goes right, granted).

The fglrx are still missing a load of features and I am sure that that's taking the large part of the development process.\

So what if all 'generally expected' features are 'done', is it possible that the driver quality will suddenly 'skyrocket'?

Just my curiosity

Comment

• I'm interested in this topic, too. I still want to upgrade my main machine but I'm building a budget system for a family member and want to move the Nvidia 7950GT to that computer and upgrade the video card.

I'd seriously consider an ATI card (despite the complaints I read) but I need assurance that there is enough of a priority to improve the drivers.

Some of the terminology here I'm unfamiliar with and I guess I have to research it and learn the subjects. XV and the various video differences etc. and how ATI fares is important to me. I am not too concerned about gaming but I do want the option to use Wine so how the progress is there is also pretty important to me. I use my computer to watch movies and watch streaming video (and/or download the video).

I'm curious about the ATI 5770 series since they're only a bit more than the 48xx series but again, I'm concerned about the ATI/fglrx drivers. I'm not thrilled about the idea of spotty drivers or issues that require a lot of manual 'processing' (I don't have a lot of time to read about 'fixes' I have to do myself. ;-) ).

I have installed Nvidia drivers the 'manual' way so I am hoping it's not more complicated than that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
          I'm interested in this topic, too. I still want to upgrade my main machine but I'm building a budget system for a family member and want to move the Nvidia 7950GT to that computer and upgrade the video card.

I'd seriously consider an ATI card (despite the complaints I read) but I need assurance that there is enough of a priority to improve the drivers.

Some of the terminology here I'm unfamiliar with and I guess I have to research it and learn the subjects. XV and the various video differences etc. and how ATI fares is important to me. I am not too concerned about gaming but I do want the option to use Wine so how the progress is there is also pretty important to me. I use my computer to watch movies and watch streaming video (and/or download the video).

I'm curious about the ATI 5770 series since they're only a bit more than the 48xx series but again, I'm concerned about the ATI/fglrx drivers. I'm not thrilled about the idea of spotty drivers or issues that require a lot of manual 'processing' (I don't have a lot of time to read about 'fixes' I have to do myself. ;-) ).

I have installed Nvidia drivers the 'manual' way so I am hoping it's not more complicated than that!
          First off: what distro are you using? If you're replacing nvidia stuff with ati, well don't be surprised if you need to reistall more than just drivers.
          Otherwise, and I can only speak for myself, ati does have some screen splitting issues with xv video playback (I don't actually notice it much, but it depends on the movie). I believe this to be what people refer to as "crap" (I notice people complaining that a driver is "crap", but rarely say what they actually find wrong with it) - I don't have any troubles with wine right now, or anything else (but then, I don't use gnome, kde, or compiz so I really can't give an informed opinion about those).
          With all that being said, I don't have a 5xxx series card yet. Being a new card, the drivers for those may have some bugs. The priority for AMD is their workstation customers (purely business choice) - people may not like it, but that's where the money is, however if you look at the improvements of the fglrx drivers over the past few years, and the commitment to open source drivers....well that should really speak for itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
            First off: what distro are you using? If you're replacing nvidia stuff with ati, well don't be surprised if you need to reistall more than just drivers.
            Otherwise, and I can only speak for myself, ati does have some screen splitting issues with xv video playback (I don't actually notice it much, but it depends on the movie). I believe this to be what people refer to as "crap" (I notice people complaining that a driver is "crap", but rarely say what they actually find wrong with it) - I don't have any troubles with wine right now, or anything else (but then, I don't use gnome, kde, or compiz so I really can't give an informed opinion about those).
            With all that being said, I don't have a 5xxx series card yet. Being a new card, the drivers for those may have some bugs. The priority for AMD is their workstation customers (purely business choice) - people may not like it, but that's where the money is, however if you look at the improvements of the fglrx drivers over the past few years, and the commitment to open source drivers....well that should really speak for itself.
            I multi-boot several distros and left them installed. I usually use either Debian or Kubuntu, though. But, I also have Fedora and sidux installed.

I thought the manual Nvidia install was a pain but I succeeded eventually. I haven't upgraded the drivers in a while, though. I could be mistaken but I thought upgrading meant upgrading the kernel and (headers?) probably something else. My point is, the maintenance is somewhat involving and I thought maybe the ATI driver installer (or install method) might be easier because of the support?

Yeah, I don't know anything about 'switching' the drivers. 'Doesn't sound very fun. ;-)

I don't need the latest and greatest video card but the lower power/consumption part sounded intriguing. I think I'd be satisfied with a Radeon 4870 if the issues were minimal or not irritating. I watch movies or video fairly often on my computer (it's my entertainment center!) so tearing or other issues might get on my nerves.

Comment

• well, I am using gentoo. For me switching from nvidia to ati was:
              eselect opengl set xorg-x11
              unmerging nvidia drivers
              emerge ati-drivers
              eselect opengl set ati
              aticonfig --initial
              check corg.conf
              /etc/init/xdm start

Comment

• Ubuntu and Fedora should be a minimal fuss to update drivers, and I guess Debian would be fine, but for the most part (and this goes for nvidia and amd) it's the responsibility of the distro to maintain it correctly. I just know that under gentoo, removing the nividia blob is a bit more involved - installing or updating it I'm not sure about these days.
                As for more info on movie watching, I'll bow out of that one for now as it's not as important for me, so I don't know as much about it as others.

Comment

• 'more involved'?
                  emerge -C nvidia-drivers

yeah, that was hard.

Comment

• Really? Must have been fixed since I last tried it. I had fun with bits of X needing to be recompiled last time I tried. Oh well, then ignore my previous comments of the nvidia blob under gentoo!

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      Ubuntu and Fedora should be a minimal fuss to update drivers, and I guess Debian would be fine, but for the most part (and this goes for nvidia and amd) it's the responsibility of the distro to maintain it correctly. I just know that under gentoo, removing the nividia blob is a bit more involved - installing or updating it I'm not sure about these days.
                      As for more info on movie watching, I'll bow out of that one for now as it's not as important for me, so I don't know as much about it as others.
                      Well, I won't be using Gentoo and that's nothing against Gentoo. I read the article with the benchmarks of Gentoo v.s. Ubuntu and Gentoo looks like a 'cleaner' more robust system. I just think I'd be lost in it as I'm no expert. Also, I am more used to Debian so I like to think I can switch to other Debian-based distros and somewhat manage. When I find the time, I should compile a kernel someday though. ;-)

I just wanted to know the routine or the process if one switched video cards such as Nvidia to ATI (or vice versa). Since videos/movies on the computer are one of my computer tasks (priorities? ), I wanted to know if a recent ATI card would present any significant issues or obstacles regarding that.

Comment

Working...
                      X