• Show
Clear All

• petifrancais
    replied
    Just "Kwin is instable, choose another WM" or something like that. =/

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    10.1 on 5770 works fine on gentoo with kwin 4.4.

any error messages to go by?

Leave a comment:

• petifrancais
    replied
    On openSUSE with a radeon hd 5850, Kwin crashe automaticaly... No driver work for this gc ??

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    as fglrx shares a lot of code with the windows drivers, 3D performance on linux is close to 3D performance on windows. IIRC fglrx doesn't implement EXA though, resulting in slower performance on certain 2D operations.

The OS drivers are different: they offer good 2D acceleration, but the 3D code isn't as optimized as the windows drivers (and in some parts still unfinished). OS drivers aren't written until the hardware is actually released, so it takes a while until they're available for recent hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Ellipsys
    replied
    I thought ATI was making massive strides in Linux support and that new card users (4000, 5000 series) would have Nvidia-like performance in most cases, with modern drivers?

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by mykro76 View Post
    When it wasn't crashing (hardware fault) I was able to run Far Cry 2 and Oblivion at 1920x1080 with medium settings at around 20-30fps in Wine. I do hope the Catalyst drivers are sufficiently mature enough to do something similar.
    How were you able to determine that it was a hardware fault and not a closed-up binary blob fault?

Leave a comment:

• mykro76
    replied
    Ugh, my new GTX260 got sent back for repair 5 weeks ago and it's increasingly unlikely that I'll ever see it again. Here in Australia the GTXs are clean out of stock, and even the 5850s are as rare as hen's teeth due to demand.

I really want to stick with NVIDIA but without even a ship date for the 300, I think I and a lot of other Linux users will end up resorting to a 5850.

I really liked my GTX260. When it wasn't crashing (hardware fault) I was able to run Far Cry 2 and Oblivion at 1920x1080 with medium settings at around 20-30fps in Wine. I do hope the Catalyst drivers are sufficiently mature enough to do something similar.

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    Originally posted by Munchkin View Post
    Well he said "should"... a lot of things should work.
    yeah, he's always careful with his wordings. Probably because he didn't verify it himself.

But the release docs say:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ca..._910_linux.pdf :
    ATI Radeon? HD 5800 Series
    and if that didn't work, you'd have seen a lot of complaints in here.

Leave a comment:

• Munchkin
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    as bridgman said, the 5870 is officially supported by the 9.10 driver, which has been out for a while. Both multi-monitor and composition are supported.

Well he said "should"... a lot of things should work.

I don't want to waste lots of money on a card that *may* work.

Waiting for nvidia will take too long.

Leave a comment:

• rohcQaH
    replied
    Originally posted by Munchkin View Post
    I need to run:

- two monitors @ 23" @ 2048 x 1152
    - compiz fusion
    as bridgman said, the 5870 is officially supported by the 9.10 driver, which has been out for a while. Both multi-monitor and composition are supported. 3D gaming isn't a problem either, unless you're talking about wine.

While Kano is rightly hinting that nvidia's binary drivers are in some ways more mature than fglrx, waiting for an unreleased piece of hardware would be a waste of time. All public knowledge about the GT300 is based on nvidia's press releases, and those releases contain obvious lies. It seems that their promises are mostly a marketing move to stall buyers until nvidia's next generation cards are finally ready. Whether they can actually deliver (and if, when) must at this point be considered "unknown".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X